Reverse scoop

Old April 11th 04, 03:53 PM
Paul Lee

Default Reverse scoop

A forward air scoop gets high pressure - air ram. Does a rear facing
scoop generate low pressure (suction)?
Old April 11th 04, 04:15 PM
Richard Lamb

Paul Lee wrote:

A forward air scoop gets high pressure - air ram. Does a rear facing
scoop generate low pressure (suction)?

Yep. A lot better than the forward facing scoop will create high
pressure.

You can pull on air all day long.
But you can't push on it at all.

Richard
Old April 12th 04, 01:30 AM
Charlie England

Paul Lee wrote:
A forward air scoop gets high pressure - air ram. Does a rear facing
scoop generate low pressure (suction)?

Try:
http://www.cafefoundation.org/aprs/localflow2.pdf

'air extractors'

Old April 12th 04, 08:05 AM
Richard Lamb

Charlie England wrote:

Paul Lee wrote:
A forward air scoop gets high pressure - air ram. Does a rear facing
scoop generate low pressure (suction)?

Try:
http://www.cafefoundation.org/aprs/localflow2.pdf

'air extractors'

Thanks Charlie.
Fascinating stuff there.

Richard
Old April 12th 04, 02:48 PM
Paul Lee

Lot of good stuff in
http://www.cafefoundation.org/aprs/localflow1.pdf
too.

Old April 12th 04, 04:40 PM
Richard Lamb

Old April 13th 04, 01:04 AM
Blueskies

I like the propless.pdf file...reminds me of slope soaring the ol' 150 with the power at idle. I would get 3-400 fpm up
at best glide speed often...

--
Dan D.

..

Old April 13th 04, 01:57 AM
Blueskies

Fun...

--
Dan D.

..
"Bill Daniels" wrote in message news:GWGec.23554$wP1.53847@attbi_s54...
Nothing new here.

Back in the 1960's the late Dave Johnson had the glider tow contract at the
Air Force Academy using Super Cubs with his 180 HP STC. His maintenance
facilities were at another nearby airport. Whenever a Cub came up lame at
the AFA, Dave would remove the prop and attach a tow hook he had made long
ago for just such emergencies. Then he would use one of its stalemates to
air-tow the Cub back home where the mechanics waited for it.

Sometimes they had to wait a little longer when the pilot of the propless
Cub would climb away in Rocky Mountain thermals after releasing - on one
occasion for three hours of silent flight.

Bill Daniels

m...

.