I need materials to make helium balloons.

Old December 3rd 04, 01:37 AM
John Doe

Default I need materials to make helium balloons.

Hi,
Where can I buy materials, online or at some nationwide USA store,
to make helium balloons?
I guess that would be a can of helium and some balloons?
I just want to make a few now, and then a few at regular intervals
indefinitely.
I really appreciate any help.

Old December 3rd 04, 02:47 PM
Ron Natalie

John Doe wrote:
Hi,
Where can I buy materials, online or at some nationwide USA store,
to make helium balloons?
I guess that would be a can of helium and some balloons?
I just want to make a few now, and then a few at regular intervals
indefinitely.
I really appreciate any help.

Just about any gas supply (welding, oxygen, etc...) supply store
will sell you tanks of helium. Tell them you want a balloon
regulator on it. As for the balloons, most party stores can
get you smaller ones. If you want like weather balloons, you
can order them on line.

www.ballonsdirect.com shows up from a quick google.
Old December 3rd 04, 08:31 PM
John Galban

John Doe wrote in message .. .
Hi,
Where can I buy materials, online or at some nationwide USA store,
to make helium balloons?
I guess that would be a can of helium and some balloons?
I just want to make a few now, and then a few at regular intervals
indefinitely.

Interesting post for RAH. Are we seeing the birth of the next
lawnchair aviator? :-)))

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old December 4th 04, 02:07 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:33:24 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

If my cats are continuously fascinated by a string attached to a
balloon stopped by (resting against) the ceiling, I will take up the
suggestions about getting a refillable helium tank. Thanks.

Depends on the cats, I think. Two of my wife's are absolutely terrified of
balloons. Or course, that could be due to one of them getting a balloon string
tied to its tail, one evening....

It has a nice side-effect. Whenever we don't want cats in a particular area, we
put up a line of Barrage balloons across the doorways. :-)

Ron "Go fluffy go" Wanttaja
Old December 4th 04, 03:08 AM
Bob Chilcoat

You should be aware that "balloon gas", which is what is sold in those
disposable containers, is a mixture of helium and nitrogen or helium and
air. This makes it cheaper and lowers the partial pressure of helium, which
reduces the rate of diffusion through the rubber (or other polymer). The
balloons stay inflated longer. OTOH, they have significantly less buoyancy.
If you want maximum buoyancy, you need nearly pure helium. Any industrial
gas supplier (BOC Gases, Air Products, Liquid Air (Air Liquide), Linde,
etc.) can supply what you want, in a variety of different sized cylinders,
including the large tube trailers they use for the Macy's parade balloons.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

"John Doe" wrote in message
(John Galban) wrote:
John Doe wrote in message news:

Where can I buy materials, online or at some nationwide USA store,
to make helium balloons?
I guess that would be a can of helium and some balloons?
I just want to make a few now, and then a few at regular intervals
indefinitely.

Interesting post for RAH. Are we seeing the birth of the next
lawnchair aviator?

I read that. Interesting story.

From what I could tell, the appropriate Usenet group was too small to
expect any replies from. I think this worked out pretty well. I read
and appreciate every one of the replies.

For starters. I bought a "balloon time" 30 balloon helium filled tank
this morning. The balloons are too cheap and small. I need either
another balloon material or that "hi-fly" liquid plastic stuff to
coat ordinary balloons.

I already asked about that in my next post, even though I might have
asked incorrectly.

If my cats are continuously fascinated by a string attached to a
balloon stopped by (resting against) the ceiling, I will take up the
suggestions about getting a refillable helium tank. Thanks.

:-)))

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old December 4th 04, 05:28 AM
John Doe

(Off topic)

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

Depends on the cats, I think. Two of my wife's are absolutely
terrified of balloons. Or course, that could be due to one of them
getting a balloon string tied to its tail, one evening....
It has a nice side-effect. Whenever we don't want cats in a
particular area, we put up a line of Barrage balloons across the
doorways. :-)

Used responsibly like an adult who cares, packaging tape placed
upside down is an excellent area deterrent (I use high-quality tape
which might be thicker and easier to handle). They avoid it like the
plague after two or three encounters. And if you are around, you get
to play hero by removing the tape while saying "Poor kitty, let me
help remove that awful thing." It is exceptionally effective used
only when necessary, for things that otherwise cause significant
friction between you and them. It does not make a good toy, it makes
a real serious impression. Take care.

Ron "Go fluffy go" Wanttaja

Old December 4th 04, 03:01 PM
Michael Pilla

"John Doe" wrote in message
(Off topic)

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

[...]

============
Tried sticky tape on our kitchen counters a few years ago. Worked on one
cat, the other one seems to like it. A cat is a cat, is a cat, is a ...
:-)

Michael Pilla

Old December 4th 04, 03:10 PM
jls

"Michael Pilla" wrote in message newsjksd.30597
============
Tried sticky tape on our kitchen counters a few years ago. Worked on one
cat, the other one seems to like it. A cat is a cat, is a cat, is a ...
:-)

Michael Pilla

Knowing the mind of a woman, herding cats, predicting the weather...

Old December 4th 04, 05:58 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 15:01:40 GMT, "Michael Pilla" wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message
. ..
(Off topic)

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

[...]

There's a commercial product for this...it's called "Sticky Paws," but my wife
gets mad when I refer to it as "no-pest strip". Double-faced, so one can stick
it along the edges of furniture the lil' darlings like to scratch.

It's only partially effective as an area-denial weapon. If you don't completely
blanket the target, they learn to hopscotch.

Nothing short of 0.177 caliber really seems reliable....

Ron Wanttaja