1976 Overhaul, 1100 Hours..Pass???/

Old September 12th 05, 02:19 AM
zatatime

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:18:04 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Absolutely not. You pull so much as a single nut off a jug of mine, you've
bought the airplane.

Jim

Agreed.

Old September 12th 05, 02:58 AM

John....I guess this shows my newbe status....What is an AMU????

Old September 12th 05, 02:59 AM

John....I guess this shows my newbe status....What is an AMU????

Old September 12th 05, 03:44 AM
Jon Kraus

Aviation Monetary Unit. 1 AMU = $1000. So our spouses won't know how
much we are spending on our planes. :-)

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Old September 12th 05, 04:01 AM

wrote:

John....I guess this shows my newbe status....What is an AMU????

now that's funny stuff....

Old September 12th 05, 06:04 AM
nrp

Perhaps if in a darkened area, drop a small light thru both spark plug
holes of each cylinder and see if there is any sign of cylinder wall
corrosion & that the valve openings seem normal. It would be better to
check in the rocker box covers though that is another level of
invasiveness. I agree jug removal only after a sale.

Reasonable oil consumption, clean plugs and a successful oil analysis
I'd think could confirm a reliable engine.

Assuming an O-320E2D with reasonable care, has there ever been any
engine more bulletproof?

Old September 12th 05, 06:27 AM
Jack Allison

Jon Kraus wrote:
Aviation Monetary Unit. 1 AMU = $1000. So our spouses won't know how
much we are spending on our planes. :-)

Oops, replied to the earlier post before I scrolled down and saw your
reply Jon. IIRC, I first heard the term from you when you were in the
buying phase of your Mooney. Where did you hear it from?

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old September 12th 05, 03:58 PM
Ross Richardson

I bought a 172 and it had only 4 hours in the last 3 years when I bought
it. I got a very good deal and the only problem was one bad exhaust
valve. That was found in the prebuy and the owner had it fixed. I flew
that engine for 400 hours when I finally installed a factory OH engine.
The engine ended it life at 2000 hours due to the uncertainity of the
oil pump AD and what I was going to have to spend just to find out.

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, said:

I'm looking at at 172 that has 1100 hours since overhaul, holding 73/90
++ on all cylinders...the only thing holding me back, last overhaul was
1976...

1100 hours in 29 years? That's 38 hours a year. The insides of that
engine are full of rust and everything is going to go to hell all at once.