colored airways?

Old November 22nd 03, 07:31 AM
Chris Hoffmann

Default colored airways?

From what I've been able to find, I gather that these aren't in use in the
US anymore, and haven't been for some time. Seems they're still used in
Canada though, and are still mentioned in the FAR's. Something to do with
L/MF navigation, but I don't know what that is.

Heck, I can't even find mention of them on Gene's site, so they MUST be long
forgotten.

Someone please give me a history lesson here. Thanks.

Old November 22nd 03, 11:10 AM
Julian Scarfe

"Chris Hoffmann" wrote in message
From what I've been able to find, I gather that these aren't in use in the
US anymore, and haven't been for some time. Seems they're still used in
Canada though, and are still mentioned in the FAR's. Something to do with
L/MF navigation, but I don't know what that is.

Heck, I can't even find mention of them on Gene's site, so they MUST be

long
forgotten.

Someone please give me a history lesson here. Thanks.

ICAO standard airway nomenclature used to be Red, Green, Blue and
subsequently (I think) and White and Amber. These were abbreviated to their
first letters hence, e.g. G1, Green 1, ran from Shannon across the UK east
across Europe and beyond.

In the late 1980s (IIRC) the nomenclature was changed to the phonetic
alphabet corresponding to the identifier, so G1 became Golf 1. More
recently, as RNAV became widespread and now effectively mandatory in Europe,
waypoints have multiplied like rabbits as have the routes linking them. A
different schema of L, M etc. airways was introduced for RNAV routes, which
means that now the good old airways like G1 only remain in part.

I don't know if the US ever used color airways or when V and J airways were
introduced. I'd be surprised if Canada still calls airways by their colors,
but I'd guess they follow the ICAO conventions.

Julian Scarfe

Old November 22nd 03, 01:36 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Chris Hoffmann" wrote:

From what I've been able to find, I gather that these aren't in use in the
US anymore, and haven't been for some time. Seems they're still used in
Canada though, and are still mentioned in the FAR's. Something to do with
L/MF navigation, but I don't know what that is.

Heck, I can't even find mention of them on Gene's site, so they MUST be long
forgotten.

Someone please give me a history lesson here. Thanks.

The last ones I was aware of were in the outer banks of North Carolina.
Not sure if they still exist.
Old November 22nd 03, 04:06 PM
Lynne Miller

Canada still uses colored airways, as does Alaska.
Look at an Alaska/Canada enroute chart and you will see plenty of
examples. They're typically based off of NDB equipment.

Lynne

Old November 22nd 03, 04:25 PM
Doug

When I was in Alaska summer before last there were still some airways
defined by NDB's, so called "Brown" airways (the airway is a brown
line). Interestingly, they have lower MEA's than the adjacent VOR
airway, presumably because of the service volume of the NDB's vs the
VOR's. Of course most pilots use the GPS to go NDB to NDB, but because
the MEA's are lower, I doubt there is a movement to get rid of the
airways. But things are always changing, so who knows?

From what I've been able to find, I gather that these aren't in use in the

Old November 22nd 03, 04:48 PM
Julian Scarfe

"Lynne Miller" wrote in message
om...
Canada still uses colored airways, as does Alaska.
Look at an Alaska/Canada enroute chart and you will see plenty of
examples. They're typically based off of NDB equipment.

Looking at some navdata I have, it looks like there are plenty,

A, B, G, N, Q, R, T are all used as prefixes, as well as V and J of course.
As you suggest, they seem to be mostly NDB-based.

You're gonna have trouble pronouncing Q as a color though... ;-)

Julian Scarfe

Old November 22nd 03, 05:49 PM
Larry Fransson

On 2003-11-21 23:31:10 -0800, "Chris Hoffmann" said

Something to do wit
L/MF navigation, but I don't know what that is

L/MF is low/medium frequency. NDBs fit in there

There is at least one colored airway that I use regularly. One of the departur
procedures from Juneau, Alaska (PAJN) includes a stretch of an Amber airwa
based on the Sumner Strait NDB (SQM), which is near the Level Island VOR (LVD)

--
Larry Fransso
Seattle, WA
Old November 22nd 03, 08:44 PM
Scott Skylane

Chris Hoffmann wrote:

From what I've been able to find, I gather that these aren't in use in the
US anymore, and haven't been for some time./snip/

Chris,

First, thats "Low Frequency American" airway to you, Mister

Second, as others have pointed out, these are still used extensively up
here in Alaska. Most are defined by NDBs, while some are "one ended",
and terminate at a VOR. Heck, we still routinely fly (gasp!) NDB
approaches, although the GPS is certainly taking over in popularity.

Third, ever hear of an "NDB/DME" navaid? Yep, we have 'em, very handy
in the bush.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Old November 23rd 03, 12:33 AM
vincent p. norris

Canada still uses colored airways, as does Alaska.
Look at an Alaska/Canada enroute chart and you will see plenty of
examples. They're typically based off of NDB equipment.

Before the advent of VARs and VORs, all airways in the Lower 48 were
Red, Green, Blue or Amber, followed by a number. IIRC, Green and
Amber were north-south, Red and Blue were east-west.

In those days, the airways were defined by Adcock A-N ranges.

vince norris
Old November 23rd 03, 03:32 PM
Henry Bibb

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"Chris Hoffmann" wrote:

From what I've been able to find, I gather that these aren't in use in

the
US anymore, and haven't been for some time. Seems they're still used in
Canada though, and are still mentioned in the FAR's. Something to do

with
L/MF navigation, but I don't know what that is.

Heck, I can't even find mention of them on Gene's site, so they MUST be

long
forgotten.

Someone please give me a history lesson here. Thanks.

The last ones I was aware of were in the outer banks of North Carolina.
Not sure if they still exist.

I belive that NDB is OTS indefinitely. I had intended to go fly that
airway,
just so I could log that I'd done it.