An open letter to Tom Poberezny

Old June 24th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default An open letter to Tom Poberezny

"Morgans" wrote

We NEED more of these units started. Can you help in making that happen?
It really is not all that difficult to do!

http://www.sportys-catalogs.com/ltf/...exploring.html
http://www.learning-for-life.org/exp...tion/main.html
http://www.aviationexploring.org/news/index.html
Bradley Bormuth (in link above) won top pilot honors, from the unit I was
active in.

One more link, I wanted you all to see, is the link to a site that is about
the Aviation Explorer's base camp at OSH. It provides a built in, big-time
goal, for the youngsters, all year long!

http://www.aviationexplorerbase.com/

Old June 25th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Morgans" wrote

We NEED more of these units started. Can you help in making that

happen?
It really is not all that difficult to do!

http://www.sportys-catalogs.com/ltf/...exploring.html
http://www.learning-for-life.org/exp...tion/main.html
http://www.aviationexploring.org/news/index.html
Bradley Bormuth (in link above) won top pilot honors, from the unit I

was
active in.

One more link, I wanted you all to see, is the link to a site that is

about
the Aviation Explorer's base camp at OSH. It provides a built in,

big-time
goal, for the youngsters, all year long!

http://www.aviationexplorerbase.com/

Thanks Jim, that's great info.

Old June 25th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Dow (Remove Caps in mail address)

I believe Paul Poberezny did try to start a new organization that was
more true to the experimental aircraft purpose, the Sport Aviation
Association. http://www.sportaviation.org It looks like it didn't
succeed though. I'm not sure why. Maybe lack of publicity, maybe just no
critical mass to get it off the ground.

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
I've already asked them to consider relinquishing the title Experimental
Aviation Association as they need to rename it more appropriately. The focus
of Oshkosh has been trending away from the experimental side of the EAA.
Also the magazine has lost some meat even though it has gotten bigger. One
year, I think it was 2005, the Oshkosh video sold by EAA did not even
mention experimental aviation, with the exception of some Rutan space flight
data. It did not mention the awards, it only had some Mooney and Piper
aircraft at Oshkosh mentioned. Besides there are a bunch of experimental
aviation nuts that would like to use that title. EAA and its title is a bit
like the US and its constitution. We got it but it doesn't mean what it
used to anymore.

Old June 25th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.john-ross.net/osh2.htm

Hey! Are you telling me that they don't have the Miss/Mrs. EAA Contest any
more?

Gee, you don't go for 30 years, and look what happens...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old June 25th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Paul Dow (Remove Caps in mail address)" wrote in
message ...
I believe Paul Poberezny did try to start a new organization that was
more true to the experimental aircraft purpose, the Sport Aviation
Association. http://www.sportaviation.org It looks like it didn't
succeed though. I'm not sure why. Maybe lack of publicity, maybe just no
critical mass to get it off the ground.

Very true, and I am amoung the many who intended to join; but never got
around to it.

Peter
Part of the problem, for which I am sorry.

Old June 26th 07, 06:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:55:00 -0400, "Peter Dohm"
wrote:

"Paul Dow (Remove Caps in mail address)" wrote in
message ...
I believe Paul Poberezny did try to start a new organization that was
more true to the experimental aircraft purpose, the Sport Aviation

it did start and was gaining members.

Association. http://www.sportaviation.org It looks like it didn't
succeed though. I'm not sure why. Maybe lack of publicity, maybe just no
critical mass to get it off the ground.

I think it was more of a cross purposes with the basic orginization.
IIRC They did have one meeting, maybe two at Osh that were well
attended some years back

Very true, and I am amoung the many who intended to join; but never got
around to it.

I think I could probably come up with some history with a bit of
diggin into my archives. I know a number who were charter members.

Old June 26th 07, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

I got in several years ago and thought it was GREAT! I really miss the
SAA...

Scott
Corben Junior Ace (EXPERIMENTAL)

Peter Dohm wrote:

"Paul Dow (Remove Caps in mail address)" wrote in
message ...

I believe Paul Poberezny did try to start a new organization that was
more true to the experimental aircraft purpose, the Sport Aviation
Association. http://www.sportaviation.org It looks like it didn't
succeed though. I'm not sure why. Maybe lack of publicity, maybe just no
critical mass to get it off the ground.

Very true, and I am amoung the many who intended to join; but never got
around to it.

Peter
Part of the problem, for which I am sorry.

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die
Building RV-4 (Super Slow Build Version)
Old June 26th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:03:52 -0700, wrote:

http://www.john-ross.net/osh2.htm

First, at least at our airport I see the Young Eagles program
producing young pilots. No, it's not a high percentage, but it's
created a noticeable increase in activity with probably about 15 or
more new, young pilots from the program. Properly done it's also been
a boon to educating the community and parents to aviation.

Even in today's climate we still get fence hangers and are building
a picnic area adjacent to the terminal building where people can bring
their families to watch the airplanes.

Although it irked some in the local program, those of us with 4 place
planes often encourage parents, or at "a" parent to go along. We've
probably gained another 10 or so pilots along that line and the city
sees us in a far different light than back when the neighbors wanted
to close the airport. OK, so the neighbors who built new, half
million dollar homes off the end of 18 would still like to see us
gone, but their voices have been drastically muted.

So I disagree with him as to how he sees the Young Eagles Program in
it's ability to get young people interested in aviation and influence
both parents and the community. At least in out community it has had a
very positive effect.
Old June 26th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jun 26, 9:41 am, "Roger (K8RI)" wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:03:52 -0700, wrote:
http://www.john-ross.net/osh2.htm

First, at least at our airport I see the Young Eagles program
producing young pilots. No, it's not a high percentage, but it's
created a noticeable increase in activity with probably about 15 or
more new, young pilots from the program. Properly done it's also been
a boon to educating the community and parents to aviation.

SNIP

So I disagree with him as to how he sees the Young Eagles Program in
it's ability to get young people interested in aviation and influence
both parents and the community. At least in out community it has had a
very positive effect.

Were these young eagles at the upper end of the age cutoff? Because
of the many YE flights I have seen & done, none under 16 had any
continued aviation involvement.

JR

P.S. My piece was done as humor, but as many have noted, there was no
small amount of truth contained therein...

Old June 26th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Where I live, we have merged the Wright Flight (www.wrightflight.org/)
mentoring program for middle schools with YE, using YE as a reward for
completion of the Wright Flight goals.

Our Chapter leaders (EAA288.org) have been in contact with EAA on ways
to improve the YE program.