Russian Military Technology

Old January 5th 04, 12:32 AM
Chad Irby

In article ,
"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

"Alejandro Magno" wrote in message
om...

Now, even Chile (in South America if you do not know) has a higher
standard of living than America:
http://www.nationalvanguard.org/story.php?id=1388

Reviewing a few key statistics this is unsurprising

Chile
Infant Moratlity Rate 8.88 deaths/1,000 live births
Life Expectancy total population: 76.35 years
Population Below Poverty line 21%
GDP per Capita $10,100

USA
Infant Mortality Rate total: 6.75 deaths/1,000 live births
Life Expectancy total population: 77.14 years
Populataion below poverty line 12.7%
GDP per Capita $36,300

....and since "poverty line" is relative, that means the *average* person
in Chile is well below the poverty line in the US...

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old January 5th 04, 12:36 AM
tadaa

T-72 was a good tank in it's time vs Leopard I's, M60's and early M1's.
After the Soviet Union fell there were slight cuts in military spending

if
you didn't notice.

You went a bit too far. It was generally inferior to the M60A3 TTS due to
the latter's better sight and fire control system. Likewise it was

inferior
to the early M1's, which while they still had only the 105mm gun, had a

much
better thermal imaging system. Add in the better vehicle protection and
greater speed, and even the early M1 was beyond the T-72's capabilities.

I wasn't trying to say it was the greatest tank of that era it wasn't even
the top notch Soviet tank. But it could have given Western tanks decent
fight.
M60 still had kinda thin armor and I'm not sure about early M1's armor
either against KE. A lot would on what kinda ammo T-72's would have. Can't
really remember what ammo they had at any given year. But a 125mm with DU
rod would have caused a few nasty moments. Its fire control and night
fighting cababilities were the ones most lagging behind, but they were still
usable.
A lot would depend on what versions the tanks would be, but I'd still
consider T-72 a decent tank for its time.

Old January 5th 04, 02:39 AM
Krztalizer

Happy ?

Magno

Magno, aren't you due back at the clinic by nightfall...?
Old January 5th 04, 02:42 AM
Thomas Schoene

BUFDRVR wrote:

Do you know that B-2 and F-117 are based on Russian technology ?

I didn't think I could laugh that hard just by reading something. So
where's the Russian Air Force stealth platforms?

There's a small kernel of truth here. The equations used to calculate radar
cross-section (a necessary pre-requisite for reliable stealth design) were
in fact developed by a Russian mathematician. But their value was not
recognized until a Lockheed engineer read the article and realized that they
finally had the computing power (just barely) needed to actually do the
calculations.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old January 5th 04, 02:53 AM
Scott Ferrin

On 4 Jan 2004 18:22:29 -0800, (Alejandro
Magno) wrote:

(BUFDRVR) wrote in message
PAC III works fine, once again, our interest in Soviet military hardware is to
study how to defeat it, not copy it. When's the last time you saw the Soviets
or Russians produce something and then a very similar copy comes out in the
west? Never. I can't even count the western copied hardware in the Russian
military. Boy that Blackjack sure looks like a B-1B doesn't it?

See how "happy" Americans were bad mouthing Tu-160 Blackjack until the
poster in message 58 made a good comparison between them, few messages
later, the "happy" americans gave up. I do not want to repeat the same
conversation, see the results he

More he http://mustangman5.netfirms.com/rplanes.html
"That's the TU-160 Blackjack. It looks almost identical to the Western
B1A bomber. However, the blackjack is over 25% bigger than the B1A,
and can acheive the same speed, and a higher payload, you have to give
credit for that. The largest of everything is usually Russian"

Happy ?

You left out the part where they claimed the US copied the Mig-25 when
they designed the F-15. This despite the fact that Mikoyan himself
wanted to start with the A-5 Vigilante (a US design) as a starting
point when designed the Mig-25. And lets not forget the F-108 that
the Mig-25 also resembles.

Here's an even better one:

Speed over a closed circuit of 5000 km with 30000 kg payload : 1054.21
km/h

Date of flight: 17/09/1987
Pilot: H. Brent HEDGPETH (USA)
Crew: Robert A. CHAMBERLAIN (copilot)
Course/place: Palmdale, CA (USA)

Aircraft:
Rockwell B-1B (4 General Electric F 101-GE-102, 14 700 kg each)
Registered 'S/N70'

Speed over a closed circuit of 5000 km with 30000 kg payload : 1017.80
km/h

Date of flight: 28/05/1990
Pilot: Serguei OSSIPOV (USSR)
Crew: D.N. MATVEEV (USSR)
Course/place: Podmoskovnoe Aerodrome (USSR)

Aircraft:
Tupolev Aircraft "70N-304" (Tupolev TU-160 "Blackjack") (4 Model "P",
25 000 kg each)

Hmmm. The Blackjack had lower performance despite it being 25% bigger
and I'm sure they did everything they could to beat the B-1b's record
since the B-1's record already existed.

Happy?

Old January 5th 04, 03:02 AM
BUFDRVR

"That's the TU-160 Blackjack. It looks almost identical to the Western
B1A bomber.

Because the design is a direct copy.

However, the blackjack is over 25% bigger than the B1A,
and can acheive the same speed, and a higher payload, you have to give
credit for that.

According to Russian Bear Bomber crews, its mission capability rate is around
25%, and that was in 1995! Can't imagine how bad it is today.

The largest of everything is usually Russian"

Because you're microprocessing capability and aircraft framing material is so
poor, it has to be.

Happy ?

Extremely, your posts always bring a smile to my face.

Magno

Are you sure you're spelling this right? Shouldn't it be M-O-N-G-O ?

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 5th 04, 03:36 AM
Krztalizer

Magno

Are you sure you're spelling this right? Shouldn't it be M-O-N-G-O ?

I was thinking M-E-N-S-O, personally.
Old January 5th 04, 04:02 AM
Dave Kearton

"Krztalizer" wrote in message

| Magno
|
| Are you sure you're spelling this right? Shouldn't it be M-O-N-G-O ?
|

| I was thinking M-E-N-S-O, personally.

It's that time again ?????

Cheers

Dave Kearton