Rep vs. Dem Differences

Old August 31st 04, 05:22 AM
C J Campbell

"Tom S." wrote in message

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

To the contrary, it is the freedom OF religion amendment, not freedom

FROM
religion.

Can't have one without the other.

You certainly can. In fact, they are mutually exclusive. Freedom FROM
religion amounts to a prohibition of religion, whereas freedom OF religion
means that anyone can worship who, what, or how they wish, or not at all if
it suits them.

Old August 31st 04, 05:47 AM
Earl Grieda

"Tom S." wrote in message

"James Robinson" wrote in message
Wdtabor wrote:

And the "liberal" ones, Soviet, China, Korea, Cuba, have slaughtered more
than Germany could ever hope to.

Spin that!!

No need to. You already have done it.

Old August 31st 04, 06:12 AM
Tom S.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

We bought the peace, but at an incredible price to our own people.

Did we buy peace, or indifference/surrender?

Old August 31st 04, 09:05 AM
Brian Burger

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, C J Campbell wrote:

"Tom S." wrote in message

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

To the contrary, it is the freedom OF religion amendment, not freedom

FROM
religion.

Can't have one without the other.

You certainly can. In fact, they are mutually exclusive. Freedom FROM
religion amounts to a prohibition of religion, whereas freedom OF religion
means that anyone can worship who, what, or how they wish, or not at all if
it suits them.

Errr... the last part of your sentence ("...or not at all...") IS freedom
from religion, isn't it? IE you can choose to be free from religion, while
other people can choose to practice whatever religion they want.

They aren't mutually exclusive, the larger one (freedom of...) should
automatically include the detailed one (freedom from...).

Where it gets complicated, of course, is where someone else's religion
invades public life. "In God We Trust", and stuff like that... I'm not
going to go there right now, it's even MORE off topic that we already
are...

Brian.
Old August 31st 04, 09:10 AM
Brian Burger

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, OP wrote:

Do you think maybe, just maybe, Canadian politics are skewed too far left?

No, actually. I think we'd be better off with another nudge to the left.
Just enough to have a gov't with more independence from Washington DC,
actually, one that could (for example) be honest about this 'Son of Star
Wars' BS that's being touted right now...

As for Canadians being too far left, check the Europeans out - they're
farther left still, even by Canadian standards...

Brian.
Old August 31st 04, 09:16 AM
Brian Burger

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, C J Campbell wrote:

"Brian Burger" wrote in message
ia.tc.ca...

And Kerry is the 'left' in the US Presidential race. Imagine where
this leaves W... (goosestepping rapidly over the horizon, possibly...)

Wow. We start right off with Godwin's law.

It was actually a comment on militaristic right-wingers in general, not an
attempt to invoke Der Godwinator...

What is "liberal" about Kerry
supporters that trash storefronts and beat Bush supporters up? How is their
behavior any different from that of thugs in 1935?

(cough) Speaking of Godwin...

Maybe I am jaded, but as far as I can see the only thing people are
interested in these days is in exercising dominion over others. They want
power, and are willing to go to any lengths and use any means to get it.
Ethics, justice, right and left: they are just hollow words signifying
nothing. I truly long for leaders who are genuinely just men, who are honest
and moral, who will not steal or lie. I would vote for such a person no
matter where on the spectrum of "left" or "right" he fell.

I'm not sure they exist, esp. in high level politics... power really does
corrupt, and all that.

Brian.
Old August 31st 04, 01:36 PM
Corky Scott

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:01:18 -0700, "Tom S." wrote:

His smooth assured and decisive reaction? He sat there stunned for 8
minutes on camera until someone came and hustled him out of the
classroom.

Wow!!! You're a pilot AND a mindreader!!

You're one for two.

Corky Scott

Old August 31st 04, 01:42 PM
Ash Wyllie

Martin Hotze opined

"Ash Wyllie" wrote:

Aren't we clever? We let other idio^W^Wour allies pay for it, so we don't
have
10% of our population in poverty.

That is a good plan, right up until someone stops providing your security.
Then you start having a problem. Luckily you have 10.6% of your population
unemployed,

Austria: 4.2%
EU: 9%

(in German http://www.wirtschaftsblatt.at/cgi-b...e.pl?id=362324

so there are lots of peopole that can be conscripted into your big
new army.

hmm, we (Austria) are only allowed to defend ourselves. We don't have the
need or lust of invading a country some thousand miles away who never
attacked us (we
[Austria] had our share of invading other countries all over the world). And
I believe that most other countries within the EU think similar)

Sorry, thought that you were German .

Weren't you the guys that with the Hungarians conquered a large chunk of
Europe?

-ash
Cthulhu for President!
Why vote for a lesser evil?

Old August 31st 04, 01:49 PM
Bill Denton

Thank you...

I had not previously read/seen/heard this information.

I appreciate your bringing it to my attention.

"Peter" wrote in message
Bill Denton wrote:

There's nothing wrong with me, I'm firmly grounded in reality.

However, I would question the state of someone who believes the

President
was told that "the country was under attack".

You have no idea what Bush was told...

But the guy who told him, Andrew Card, should know what he was told.
His recollection was (SF Chronicle, 9/11/02):

"So I was very uncomfortable about interrupting the president during one
of his events ... so I wanted to think, how can I convey to the
president the situation? And I made a conscious decision to state the
facts and to offer editorial comment. And the facts, as I knew them,
were -- since he knew about the first plane, I said, 'a second plane hit
the second tower.' Those were the facts. And the editorial comment was,
'America is under attack.'"

"Rosspilot" wrote in message

Obviously you don't have very young children...

What in the hell does THAT have to do with anything???

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were so far out of the loop. I thought

it
was common knowledge that Bush was reading to some very young children

in
front of a bunch of television cameras.

So???

He'd just been told that the country was UNDER ATTACK! What is wrong

with

you?

Old August 31st 04, 02:40 PM
G.R. Patterson III

C J Campbell wrote:

..... or not at all .....

That's freedom *from* religion.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.