Best Single Pilot IFR Plane

Old December 3rd 03, 04:48 PM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 15:21:36 -0800, Jeff wrote:

starts at 350k?
is that just the land or the house also?

Many years ago... Actually it was over 30 years ago... My ex wife's
cousin moved to California. He was near the ocean and paid more than
that for a house on a lot that was so small it didn't hardly have a
yard. (Remember this was 30 plus years ago.)

You'll have to fix the return add due to dumb virus checkers
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Kevin wrote:

Jeff wrote:
maybe you should list a price range you was wanting answers for
check out what John Travoltas flies
http://www.ipilot.com/forum/message....id=42554#42554

You bet, lots in the airpark he lives in start at $350K.

/www.jumbolair.com/

Charles Talleyrand wrote:

There must be people on the newsgroup that fly single pilot
IFR on a regular basis. These people have a schedule to make
and would rather not miss that schedule unless necessary. These people
don't have the need to carry many passengers, but just themselves.
My question is for these people ...

What sort of planes are you flying?

Old December 3rd 03, 04:59 PM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 23:29:57 -0500, "Charles Talleyrand"
wrote:

There must be people on the newsgroup that fly single pilot
IFR on a regular basis. These people have a schedule to make
and would rather not miss that schedule unless necessary. These people
don't have the need to carry many passengers, but just themselves.
My question is for these people ...

What sort of planes are you flying?

My preference would be and I know this covers a wide range:
1. TBM 700 (almost purchased one)
2. MU-2 (fast, plenty of range, capable)
or
3. P 210 Fast(for a single), stable, and handles like a truck.
4. any number of the smaller pressurized twins.

I don't fly all that much IFR any more, but when I did I was severely
limited by "no known ice" and no storm scope.

In the Fall and Spring a fully equipped twin turboprop would still be
severely limited at times due to the icing conditions in the Great
Lakes area. However if you could set your schedule with some
flexibility you'd probably reach the 90 plus percent range.

Old December 3rd 03, 09:06 PM
Snowbird

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message ...
There must be people on the newsgroup that fly single pilot
IFR on a regular basis. These people have a schedule to make
and would rather not miss that schedule unless necessary. These people
don't have the need to carry many passengers, but just themselves.
My question is for these people ...

What sort of planes are you flying?

Charles,

I think you have two separate issues here.

1) single pilot IFR (subsidiary issue for a low time pilot)

2) schedule to make

A plane which is good for 1), especially for a low time pilot,
will be stable and relatively forgiving. Something like a
C182, maybe a C182TR.

A plane which is good for 2) will have known ice capability,
weather detection such as radar, service ceiling to climb above
some wx, and two engines.

A plane which will allow 2) may not be good for 1), especially
for a low time pilot.

A plane which will allow for 1) (especially for a low time
pilot) may not be good for 2)

FWIW,
Sydney
Old December 3rd 03, 09:14 PM
Maule Driver

"Dan Truesdell"
After reading this thread, I'm glad I live where I do (CNH). Although
we do have to deal with New England weather, I don't think you can buy a
house for $350K. You'd have to get a house, a bunch of land, and maybe
another small house. As for the airport, fuel is self-serve at $2.45
something, and T-hangar space is $120/month (that's not a typo). I
share a 172 with 4 others. Can't fly for much cheaper than that.

I'm glad I'm where I am too... hopefully most of us are. I'm at 8nc8. No
NE weather but we have summer. Grass but the price is right. $350k put me
on the runway with a home and a 2500' hangar on 3 acres. Only expense is
low property taxes and a nominal homeowners fee. Our private fuel is up to
about $2.35 now and we have JetA (!!). Sometimes we forget how nice it is.

But the cost of flying real estate is all about location. Ironically, life
on an airport offers more mobility and locational independence than any
other kind of living.

Nice thing about our location is that is is a 15 min auto commute to work,
an 18 min cab ride from my ILS at RDU, and truly 1.5 hours to the mountains
(Asheville) or the shore (Ocracoke). Florida and NYC seemed a bit far for
casual travel in our slow plane, at least until 9/11. Now it's a valued
luxury to be able to fly ourselves.

Old December 3rd 03, 09:41 PM

Piaggio Avanti P180 -

41,000 Feet

390 knots high speed Cruise - but normally about 360-365

Known Ice

Weather radar -

Pressurized to 4,000 feet w/ 9 psi max differential

1700 + nm Range --

Can land on a 2300 foot runway if you're good

Single Pilot Certified

Paul P

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Mitsubishi MU-2 Marquise.

11,500lb
1552hp
Preasurized
Radar
Known Ice
300kts
31,000'

Mike
MU-2

Old December 3rd 03, 09:42 PM

Piaggio Avanti P180 -

41,000 Feet

390 knots high speed Cruise - but normally about 360-365 at 330

Known Ice

Weather radar -

Pressurized to 4,000 feet w/ 9 psi max differential

1700 + nm Range w/ IFR reserves

Burns around 280/side at altitude (410)

We can do SF or L. Angeles to NJ non-stop with a nice tailwind...

Can land on a 2300 foot runway if you're good

Single Pilot Certified

Perfect safety record - Never an injury or fatality -

Old December 3rd 03, 09:45 PM

Piaggio Avanti P180 -

41,000 Feet

390 knots high speed Cruise - but normally about 360-365 at 330

Known Ice

Weather radar -

Pressurized to 4,000 feet w/ 9 psi max differential

1700 + nm Range w/ IFR reserves

Burns around 280/side at altitude (410)

We can do SF or L. Angeles to NJ non-stop with a nice tailwind...

Can land on a 2300 foot runway if you're good

Single Pilot Certified

Perfect safety record - Never an injury or fatality -

VERY VERY quiet with almost 6-foot headroom (ok, maybe 5'9" or so...but I',m
6'2" and never in the back)

"Tom S." wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
news
Not even close to the best. I have a friend with part of one (Netjets
share) . With the two pilots and two average size passengers and a

Labrador
it can't go from San Diego to Sun Valley without refueling in a modest
headwind if its warm.

Wrong.

It is a fact.

The problem is that at FL350 it will only go about
350kts and even a modest headwind at that altitude is well over

100kts.

At FL350, it does 371 to 385, depending on weight.

Old December 3rd 03, 09:53 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Peter" wrote in message

"Paul Sengupta" wrote

Jeff wrote:
starts at 350k?
That would buy you a nice bird !

Or you could get a plane.

You won't get many birds with a plane... a helicopter is said to be
better, and a new top-end Merc is said to be the most effective...

Is the budget 350k US$? This thread is crossposted to the American
rec.aviation.* newsgroups.

It started there. I cross posted it here for "or you could get a plane"
quote!

I find plane ownership is cheaper. :-)

Paul

Old December 3rd 03, 09:54 PM
Paul Sengupta

Ah, keep those horses off the runway at the airpark...

Paul

"Jeff" wrote in message
I already have an airplane, Turbo Arrow III
since my airplane was more then her horse, she feels that she should be
able to get another horse, as soon as we get some land to put it on that
is (and moving to the midwest where its cheaper is out of the question).

Old December 3rd 03, 10:07 PM
David Megginson

Charles Talleyrand wrote:

There must be people on the newsgroup that fly single pilot
IFR on a regular basis. These people have a schedule to make
and would rather not miss that schedule unless necessary. These people
don't have the need to carry many passengers, but just themselves.
My question is for these people ...

What sort of planes are you flying?

I fly a Warrior II, but I have a few special factors:

1. The meetings are not too frequent, and are never more than a few hours away.
2. I'm self-employed, so I can leave a day early and stay a day late if
necessary.
3. I live close to a major airport, where I can get a last-minute full-fare
flight when I need one.

Considering these conditions, along with the fact that I have under 250
hours' flying time, it makes sense for me to fly a very inexpensive plane
and just pay for the occasional commercial airline ticket when the weather
turns on me. So far, I've had to do that once this fall (New York, during
heavy icing). The difference in operating cost between a single-engine
Cherokee ( USD 10K/year) and a pressurized twin with known ice and radar
(USD 40K/year) will pay for an awful lot of full-fare airline tickets.

On the other hand, if you have the experience and ratings and you travel to
a lot of meetings (more than one/week), your meetings are far away, you
cannot spare the occasional extra day, or you are flying between places not
well-served by commercial air service, then the high-end plane starts to
make a lot more sense. Just try putting dollar values on it: how much would
it cost you (money down and opportunity cost) to fly yourself 90% of the
time and fly commercial the remaining 10%, vs. paying the extra money to
operate a plane where you can fly yourself 99% of the time? It all depends
on how much your business time is worth.

Of course, if the goal is simply to think of reasons to buy an expensive
plane and write it off against your taxes, then feel free to disregard the
preceeding part of this posting, and have fun: you know we'll all be envying
you.

All the best,

David