First solo non stop transpacific?

Old May 31st 05, 07:31 PM

Default First solo non stop transpacific?

Hi

I know Hugh Herndon and Clyde Pangborn crossed the pacific non stop in
1931, but who was the first person to fly transpacific non stop solo?

Old June 1st 05, 08:21 PM

Do you think? Somebody must have done it between 1931 and 2005

Old June 1st 05, 09:19 PM
James Robinson

Do you think? Somebody must have done it between 1931 and 2005

Amelia Earhart was the first person to fly solo between Hawaii and
California (Oakland) She did it in 1935, then westbound in 1937, when
she first set out on her first, failed, round-the-world flight.

http://www.acepilots.com/earhart.html

Wiley Post was the first to fly solo around the world. He first did it
in 1931 with a navigator, then repeated it in 1933 alone. He took a
northerly route across Siberia and Alaska, however. I wouldn't really
count as a trans-pacific flight.

http://www.acepilots.com/post.html
Old June 1st 05, 09:58 PM
Icebound

Fossett and his navigator/copilot Mark Rebholz left Toronto today in the
replica Vickers Vimy on the first leg to position at St. John's Newfoundland
for the cross-Atlantic try on June 14, 86th? anniversary of original flight.

http://stjohns.cbc.ca/regional/servl...rs-vimy-050601

I didn't see the take-off but am sure that it will be on the 6-o'clock news
tonight.

Saw an early morning TV report with the motors running and mechanics
tweaking things. Looks like a sweet machine. Hope things go well...

Old June 5th 05, 02:10 AM
David CL Francis

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 at 20:19:52 in message ,
James Robinson wrote:

Wiley Post was the first to fly solo around the world. He first did it
in 1931 with a navigator, then repeated it in 1933 alone. He took a
northerly route across Siberia and Alaska, however. I wouldn't really
count as a trans-pacific flight.

I am interested as to how people would define a 'round the world'
flight. To me the Wiley Post flight does not really qualify..

For example would taking off from a northern airport (Like say SVALBARD,
Norway, Longyear on Spitzbergan) around 78 degrees North, flying to the
North Pole, doing a circuit around it and then returning to the start
count?

That would be less than 2,000 miles for the round trip, but who would
believe you had flown all round the world, even though you had crossed
every meridian?
--
David CL Francis
Old June 5th 05, 11:18 AM
Cub Driver

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 01:10:08 GMT, David CL Francis
wrote:

I am interested as to how people would define a 'round the world'
flight. To me the Wiley Post flight does not really qualify..

Sailors have solved this problem with respect to going "around the
Horn." (If you go around the Horn, you are qualified to wear a gold
ring in your left ear.) It's not going *around* the Horn unless you
start from at least 50 south and reach at least 50 south on the other
coast.

There are a bunch of boats in Ushiaia, Argentina, that take punters
out *to* Cabo de Hornos. It' can be done in one day if the weather is
good. But that's going *to* the Horn, not rounding it.

Though I doubt the punters make that distinction when they get home

A similar useful rule would be that an around-the-world flight has to
be made between points located between 50 south and 50 north.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old June 5th 05, 01:21 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, said:
A similar useful rule would be that an around-the-world flight has to
be made between points located between 50 south and 50 north.

There was such a rule applied to Fossett's flight, that it had to stay
within certain latitudes and the total length had to be at least as long
as such-and-such.

--
Paul Tomblin
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Old June 12th 05, 10:20 AM

Yes, today the FAI rule is, that in order to count as a
circumnavigation the flight has to cover a distance at least equal to
the Topic of Cancer (parallel of latitude at 23=B030' north of the
equator - farthest point north at which the sun can be seen directly
overhead at noon). 36,788 km.

Fossett's official distance was 36,898.04 km (compared to
Rutan/Yeager's 40,212.14 km in Voyager).

solo x/c for commercial [email protected] Piloting 34 June 11th 05 05:52 PM
Frst Solo, Non-stop Round the World Airplane Flight Larry Dighera Piloting 7 March 4th 05 03:51 PM
1.4 solo.. Beav Rotorcraft 0 November 5th 04 12:27 AM
Catastrophic Decompression; Small Place Solo Aviation Piloting 193 January 13th 04 08:52 PM