A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

LXNav S80 landing gear voice warning not working

Old April 20th 16, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp
external usenet poster

Default LXNav S80 landing gear voice warning not working

On Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 5:27:22 PM UTC-4, ZP wrote:
Thanks Greg. I'll try the new firmware. I got no warnings on my last flight so hopefully that is the issue. In the case of gear warning, I'm assuming both inputs must be registering "red" in the software for the gear warning sound. For spoiler warning, the spoiler input must be 'red', but gear input 'green'.

You can change the verbiage of the digital input statements depending on how you wire your switches using the S80 menu. The statements must be true Like landing gear down and locked and the actual landing gear switch must be closed and the input display green. Meaning it really is down and locked. Likewise you must make select the correct spoiler statement and have the spoilers in the correct position and that input display green.

I have my reed switches set up so they are closed when the gear handle is down and locked over to the side and the spoiler handle closes its reed switch when the handle goes over the spoiler lock. So my statements are gear down and locked or similar wording, and spoilers locked and and with the handles actually in those locked positions the indications for input 1 and 2 are both green on the S80 and agree with the menu statements. If the handles are not in the locked positions the inputs should be red as they disagree with the menu statements. If they are backwards you can switch the statements via the menu to make them true and agree when green.

I hope that helps clear it up versus making it worse. If you need additional help contact me and we can talk through it. I mat try and do a short video if I get a chance tomorrow .
Old April 21st 16, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I get the stall warning as I am opening the canopy. It's worth the chuckle so I keep it active.

Lane
Old April 21st 16, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP
external usenet poster

I have my statements consistent with yours. Makes sense. Thanks!
Old April 21st 16, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 12:04:51 AM UTC-5, ZP wrote:
BTW, when I stepped up to 5.04, it did fix the remote stick issue, but then the sound equalizer page was no longer accessible. I really don't care about that page anyway, but it does raise an eyebrow about the level of testing the product goes through prior to release.

The more annoying thing to me with the product in general is the missing "nearest airports" feature. If I could pick the top 5 features I'd want out of a flight computer, being able to display the NEAREST airports is in that list - in fact, it is probably #3 in the list. But the S80 doesn't have it. It will give you the ability to define the exact frequency at which to hear your favorite vario sounds (so what?!), it will allow you to choose the transparency of the airspace polygons (so what?!), you can even choose the default volume for the sounds on startup (so what?!), but it DOESN'T give you fundamental critical information like NEAREST airports! Really?! This has been in every software product ahead of it, so why abandon it? I'd gladly trade at least 10 features that this vario has that I don't care about to get the nearest airports list.

OK, off my soap box. At this point, Right now I'd like to know if the voice warnings are even functional per the marketing claims. Is the warning voice female or male? Can someone even answer that question?

I agree with you comment. Garmin had a 'go to nearest' airport in the Pilot III and that was a decade ago. I am considering the LX Nav 100 and wondered if the vario has feature. Thank you for answering my question!

Old April 21st 16, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 1:47:05 PM UTC-4, ZP wrote:
I have my statements consistent with yours. Makes sense. Thanks!

Here's a quick YouTube video showing the warnings except for FLARM.

https://youtu.be/5lObIpaLglg
Old April 21st 16, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 5:44:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
BTW, when I stepped up to 5.04, it did fix the remote stick issue, but then the sound equalizer page was no longer accessible. I really don't care about that page anyway, but it does raise an eyebrow about the level of testing the product goes through prior to release.

The more annoying thing to me with the product in general is the missing "nearest airports" feature. If I could pick the top 5 features I'd want out of a flight computer, being able to display the NEAREST airports is in that list - in fact, it is probably #3 in the list. But the S80 doesn't have it. It will give you the ability to define the exact frequency at which to hear your favorite vario sounds (so what?!), it will allow you to choose the transparency of the airspace polygons (so what?!), you can even choose the default volume for the sounds on startup (so what?!), but it DOESN'T give you fundamental critical information like NEAREST airports! Really?! This has been in every software product ahead of it, so why abandon it? I'd gladly trade at least 10 features that this vario has that I don't care about to get the nearest airports list.

OK, off my soap box. At this point, Right now I'd like to know if the voice warnings are even functional per the marketing claims. Is the warning voice female or male? Can someone even answer that question?

I agree with you comment. Garmin had a 'go to nearest' airport in the Pilot III and that was a decade ago. I am considering the LX Nav 100 and wondered if the vario has feature. Thank you for answering my question!

There IS a nearest feature at least in the latest Firmware. Go to the waypoint page and use the quick menu to "Select Nearest" and the list of waypoints will be displayed in order of closest to farthest. Select the waypoint and it will give you distance, arrival altitude, etc... depending on what parameters you have selected for display for the waypoint page.
Old April 21st 16, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 4:54:07 PM UTC-5, Greg Delp wrote:
On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 5:44:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:

There IS a nearest feature at least in the latest Firmware. Go to the waypoint page and use the quick menu to "Select Nearest" and the list of waypoints will be displayed in order of closest to farthest. Select the waypoint and it will give you distance, arrival altitude, etc... depending on what parameters you have selected for display for the waypoint page.

Thank you for the update! Good news!
Old April 26th 16, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP
external usenet poster

The latest firmware fixed the audio warnings. Of course I buttoned up the glider before reading the latest posts and did not get a chance to try the "nearest" airports. That will be great!