A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Mirror installation required?

Old July 20th 16, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Mirror installation required?

I was recently towed by a tow plane that had no mirror installed. Two way communication was established using VHF and a club member was positioned ahead of the tow plane to relay ground signals. This was a US based club. This launch prompted me to wonder if in the US a mirror is actually required.. After researching 14 CFR and AC 43.13 2B I can not find a regulatory reference to mirror installations in the US. I see various Canadian and European references buy none here in the US. Can anyone point me to a FAR or Advisory Circular that specifies a mirror is required? I just am curious if its a smart practice or an actual requirement for towing. I'm sure this has been covered before but the proof escapes my research.

Thanks
LB
Old July 20th 16, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

While not a "US regs expert", I am not aware of a reg.
But, I consider it a cheap "second info referral" to help all involved.

From an, "ISO background", safety/quality is everyone's job......

Curious to see if a US reg shows up.
Old July 20th 16, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks for commenting. As a tow pilot/glider pilot I saw it as not the "best practice" and made a comment that "I think it is required" to the tow pilot the next day. But I qualified it with "I'll check it out". Now I can't find that it is required. So I may have to stand corrected.

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 1:48:11 PM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:

Old July 20th 16, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
N97MT
external usenet poster

Not a US regulatory requirement. 91.309 says a lot about the tow hook and the tow line but nothing about mirrors.

However a mirror may be a local organizational requirement. The Civil Air Patrol seems to require it.

It is very hard for the tow pilot to see the spoilers hanging out at low altitude right after liftoff if you can't glance back at the glider. No radio will help you there to see it, unless someone on the ground sees and helps you. Turning your head to look out the back window (if even possible) while keeping the tow plane in a safe climb attitude in this situation is a bad idea.

Depending on the tow plane, this is a critical situation where it is very easy to loose control of the tow plane. In the few years I have been towing, being zapped by spoilers hanging out behind me has happened to me twice. It is like trying to tow around a ton of bricks a few MPH just above stall speed barely climbing if at all.

Common sense should put the mirror in any tow plane. And it should be used. Frequently.

Besides, think of all the other cool reasons you could tell the uninitiated what that thing is for.

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 12:48:11 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:

Old July 20th 16, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RobKol
external usenet poster

There is no regulatory requirement for rear view mirror installation on aircraft.
Mirror(s) might be included in required equipment list for a specific aircraft model when towing, or in other types of operations. POH or Flight Manual would explain that.
Certified airplanes become non-airworthy with non-approved mirror installation.

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 10:28:49 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I was recently towed by a tow plane that had no mirror installed. Two way communication was established using VHF and a club member was positioned ahead of the tow plane to relay ground signals. This was a US based club. This launch prompted me to wonder if in the US a mirror is actually required. After researching 14 CFR and AC 43.13 2B I can not find a regulatory reference to mirror installations in the US. I see various Canadian and European references buy none here in the US. Can anyone point me to a FAR or Advisory Circular that specifies a mirror is required? I just am curious if its a smart practice or an actual requirement for towing. I'm sure this has been covered before but the proof escapes my research.

Thanks
LB

Old July 20th 16, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
N97MT
external usenet poster

Certified tow pilots are still airworthy with a cheap hand-held vanity mirror.

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 3:39:41 PM UTC-5, RobKol wrote:
There is no regulatory requirement for rear view mirror installation on aircraft.
Mirror(s) might be included in required equipment list for a specific aircraft model when towing, or in other types of operations. POH or Flight Manual would explain that.
Certified airplanes become non-airworthy with non-approved mirror installation.

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 10:28:49 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I was recently towed by a tow plane that had no mirror installed. Two way communication was established using VHF and a club member was positioned ahead of the tow plane to relay ground signals. This was a US based club.. This launch prompted me to wonder if in the US a mirror is actually required. After researching 14 CFR and AC 43.13 2B I can not find a regulatory reference to mirror installations in the US. I see various Canadian and European references buy none here in the US. Can anyone point me to a FAR or Advisory Circular that specifies a mirror is required? I just am curious if its a smart practice or an actual requirement for towing. I'm sure this has been covered before but the proof escapes my research.

Thanks
LB

Old July 21st 16, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence
external usenet poster

I have heard the installing the mirror can require a 337 Field approval and that has stopped some operators from installing the mirror.
Old July 21st 16, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

The five tugs at Moriarty (that's right - 5) each have mirrors. I can't
say about the ABQ Soaring Club, but the Sundance tugs are all licensed
as "Restricted" which, I would guess, is their ticket to having external
mirrors mounted. I wouldn't tow without them.

On 7/20/2016 10:14 PM, SoaringXCellence wrote:
I have heard the installing the mirror can require a 337 Field approval and that has stopped some operators from installing the mirror.

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 21st 16, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

What type of tow plane was it? The Pawnees that I tow with have exterior mirrors. Both the L-19 and Maules have overhead skylights and interior mirrors which are not visible to the glider but quite effective. I will not tow without a mirror!

Skip
Old July 21st 16, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

I've towed with a Maule, L-19, Citabria, Super Cub, Pawnee, CalAir, and
Ag Wagon. All had mirrors except for the Maule and I didn't like that.

On 7/21/2016 11:15 AM, wrote:
What type of tow plane was it? The Pawnees that I tow with have exterior mirrors. Both the L-19 and Maules have overhead skylights and interior mirrors which are not visible to the glider but quite effective. I will not tow without a mirror!

Skip

--
Dan, 5J