Wishing for clickable US score sheet

Old August 15th 16, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default Wishing for clickable US score sheet

The score sheet presently has a column identifying only the name of the IGC file for each pilot. That's a good thing, but it's a real pain to then go find and retrieve the file elsewhere.

It would be really cool if we could just click the IGC file name to immediately download it for viewing.

Since I'm free to wish as I please, I will also wish for another column on the scoresheet with an IGC file that has been pruned to the on-course time such that the pre-start and post-finish data is removed from the log. That would really be nice for checking a pilot's racing statistics and make flight comparisons easy. So two IGC files for each flight please: one comprises the as-submitted flight log and the other is a generated file slightly massaged for improved viewing and analysis.

I'm sure somebody here knows how to do this stuff. Thanks in advance if you can do this. It would help everybody improve their flying.

Old August 15th 16, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

That is a great idea!

I go to the "results" page on the SSA web and download the entire batch of flights from that day. They I load the batch into SeeYou and scroll down to find the pilots I am interested it. If you just want one file my method is pretty circuitous. I suppose you could write down the file name from the score sheet and then find it in the batch. Your suggestion would surely make both these methods obsolete.

It would take some coding by our volunteer web master. From what I have seen of his talents your suggesting would be easy for him!

Lane
Old August 16th 16, 10:41 AM
Brett Brett is offline
Member

Location: New Zealand

The rest of the world uses Soaring Spot to post competition results. http://www.soaringspot.com/
No need to reinvent the wheel.
Old August 16th 16, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

--
Brett

the rest of the world uses a different scoring system too
Old August 16th 16, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 8:43:07 AM UTC-4, Brett wrote:
The rest of the world uses Soaring Spot to post competition results.
http://www.soaringspot.com/
No need to reinvent the wheel.

--
Brett

No reinventing.
Flight log availability on line has been part of contest reporting in the US since 2011.
UH
Old August 16th 16, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 7:08:57 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 8:43:07 AM UTC-4, Brett wrote:
The rest of the world uses Soaring Spot to post competition results.
http://www.soaringspot.com/
No need to reinvent the wheel.

--
Brett

No reinventing.
Flight log availability on line has been part of contest reporting in the US since 2011.
UH

Believe the point Brett made is: Soaring Spot already does everything Steve asked about. It's very easy to navigate between days and classes. An IGC file is downloaded by clicking the contest ID on the daily score sheet.

Problems exist because USA uses a proprietary handicapping system, and a measure of distance used at few if any other places in aviation.
Australian competitions use multiple start points for each task, but are able to use Soaring Spot so there is a way to work these differences out.
Jim

Old August 16th 16, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 12:33:40 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:

Problems exist because USA uses a proprietary handicapping system, and a measure of distance used at few if any other places in aviation.
Jim

I beg to differ with you on that, Jim. This has NOTHING to do with rules, handicaps, etc. This is all post scoring, where do we store the flight logs and make a link to them rather than a link to a zip file with all the flight logs in it.

The other Steve
Old August 16th 16, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 11:11:48 AM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 12:33:40 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:

Problems exist because USA uses a proprietary handicapping system, and a measure of distance used at few if any other places in aviation.
Jim

I beg to differ with you on that, Jim. This has NOTHING to do with rules, handicaps, etc. This is all post scoring, where do we store the flight logs and make a link to them rather than a link to a zip file with all the flight logs in it.

The other Steve

As I understand it the current US scoring software doesn't have any automation in place to sort IGC files and allow easy posting with pilot ID correlated to IGC file. Contest staff is usually running full bore just to keep things on track and don't have time to do anything extra.

This year I was just hoping to have IGC files sorted by class at a national event and was told (rightly) that I could take care of it myself if I wanted, but there was no bandwidth available for contest staff to do that.

I agree with Steve K that it would be really nice, but I don't have time or native skills to write up the coding to make that happen.

A hearty thanks to those who've devoted time and skills to developing the code we have. It's not perfect, but it has been getting better and better.

The Soaring Spot question is really about rules and probably belongs in a different discussion.

Cheers,
Craig
Old August 16th 16, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 2:11:48 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 12:33:40 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:

Problems exist because USA uses a proprietary handicapping system, and a measure of distance used at few if any other places in aviation.
Jim

I beg to differ with you on that, Jim. This has NOTHING to do with rules, handicaps, etc. This is all post scoring, where do we store the flight logs and make a link to them rather than a link to a zip file with all the flight logs in it.

The other Steve

Note please that the current US system does exactly what it was tasked to do which is to "promptly" provide all logs in a place where pilot can review their flights or those of their competitors.
The public availability of those files is a useful addition for a few folks. I have, on occasion, looked at one of my flights and did not find it painful, though it was not one click satisfaction.
I wonder how many people want to view these files and whether their interest would justify the time required of a qualified volunteer to take it to another level.
FWIW
UH
Old August 16th 16, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

FWIW
The current system is so easy and quick - I doubt the effort to separate the files would/should/could ever happen.

To be sure - I just checked - it took less than 5 seconds to down load the entire Sports Class nationals files - 40 gliders x 4 days - that's allot of tracks for little investment.

if it takes longer than you are doing something wrong - you just right click on the "Flight Logs" in the results and save the target to your desktop - you get them all fast and easy!!

WH

Just wishing! birdog[_2_] Piloting 11 December 24th 10 06:18 AM
Will Cambridge GPSNAV score in 2k6 OLC? Stewart Kissel Soaring 1 October 30th 05 05:52 PM
OLC score calculation? ttaylor at cc.usu.edu Soaring 4 August 24th 05 01:50 AM
Wishing for an early spring. George William Peter Reinhart Soaring 0 October 3rd 03 07:59 PM
Day 2 New Castle Score Sheet Guy Byars Soaring 3 September 25th 03 02:39 AM