Chasing the front

Old April 20th 04, 05:42 PM
Paul Tomblin

Default Chasing the front

Last night I took off with a band of thunderstorms ahead of me and a cold
front behind me, and rode a 70+ knot tail wind home. Man, I've never seen
the scenery pass by so fast! Of course the downside is that passing
through 3,000 feet on the way to land, it got really, really, really bumpy
and I couldn't hold altitude worth ****. Flying sure is fun.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"real programmers don't really understand why they get paid for
Old April 20th 04, 08:41 PM
Jay Honeck

Last night I took off with a band of thunderstorms ahead of me and a cold
front behind me, and rode a 70+ knot tail wind home. Man, I've never seen
the scenery pass by so fast! Of course the downside is that passing
through 3,000 feet on the way to land, it got really, really, really bumpy
and I couldn't hold altitude worth ****. Flying sure is fun.

Sounds more like surfing than flying! Talk about "riding the wave"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 20th 04, 09:04 PM
Dan Luke

"Paul Tomblin" wrote:
Flying sure is fun.

Ain't it, though?
I've chased a couple of fronts home from Houston; it's a blast.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 20th 04, 09:28 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Dan Luke" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote:
Flying sure is fun.

Ain't it, though?
I've chased a couple of fronts home from Houston; it's a blast.

I *almost* asked the controller to verify my ground speed, just so
everybody on the frequency could hear "Cherokee two-three-yankee, I show
you going 200 knots." But everybody else on the frequency were flying
jets (like who else would be dumb enough to go up in a spam can on a day
like that?) so I doubt anybody would be impressed.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
A male pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's flying,
Old April 21st 04, 02:21 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Paul Tomblin wrote:

But everybody else on the frequency were flying
jets (like who else would be dumb enough to go up in a spam can on a day
like that?) so I doubt anybody would be impressed.

Most of them did lots of training in spam cans; some not too long ago.

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".
Old April 21st 04, 03:32 AM
Dan Luke

"Paul Tomblin" wrote:
I *almost* asked the controller to verify my ground speed, just so
everybody on the frequency could hear "Cherokee
two-three-yankee, I show you going 200 knots."

I'm envious; it seldom blows that hard this far south. Best I've ever
done is about 185, but a Lake Charles controller *did* ask me to verify
type aircraft.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 21st 04, 07:16 AM
Marty

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

I'm envious; it seldom blows that hard this far south. Best I've ever
done is about 185, but a Lake Charles controller *did* ask me to verify
type aircraft.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Had a controller ask me the same thing,for the opposite reason.
On initial contact I stated "Fairchild 627". Apparently I wasn't moving as
fast as expected,guess she thought I was a turboprop.
She asked "what kind of Fairchild?"
My response,"1939 Fairchild 24", she ack.and cleared two others to land
ahead of me. 8-)

MG

Old April 21st 04, 01:09 PM
Bob Martin

Had a controller ask me the same thing,for the opposite reason.
On initial contact I stated "Fairchild 627". Apparently I wasn't moving as
fast as expected,guess she thought I was a turboprop.
She asked "what kind of Fairchild?"
My response,"1939 Fairchild 24", she ack.and cleared two others to land
ahead of me. 8-)

During my night XC for private, we were coming in to CSG (Columbus,
GA) in a 150. After the headwind, our groundspeed was about 55-60
kts. Approach asked us to "say aircraft type," and when I said we
were a 150, the response was "Ahh... that explains it." They vectored
us onto a 12-mile final, and then the tower closed. That was a long
15 minutes.

Of course, going back home was nice and quick... 120kts (grin)...