Spot or InReach ??

Old May 9th 18, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Spot or InReach ??

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 12:08:02 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
Why not install OGN receivers for tracking? Just one good installation at home airfield covers most of your cross country flights. We get 100 km range with one good antenna.

Size. Population density. Terrain. Infrastructure. Cost. ... and even then OGN is not the best technology you want if needing SAR help or two way communication to organize a retrieve. I know in Europe you just call folks up on your cell phone...

Folks wanting to track contests or flights near specific locations etc. are playing with this type of stuff, but an inReach tracker is a much more suitable device for many USA XC glider pilots.
Old May 9th 18, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Kirk,

I'm willing to pay for devices that work properly. My Spot dropped many points, and I see the same behavior on Spot traces from other pilots. Relying on Spot would seem be be like relying on an OnStar type system that only transmits every 3rd word.

Given that performance, your remark that Spot plans are cheaper than those from InReach is like noting you can get a lower price on oats that have already been through the horse.

-John, Q3

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 5:08:00 PM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
Interesting how much you guys are willing to pay for altitude and the ability to message. At the 10 minute rate Spot is $175/year (or a bit more, but still less that $200) - a lot less than a full year of InReach tracking. My Gen 1 has been reliable, easy to use, and my wife has no trouble tracking me and finding me when I land out (or make it back to the field). I've loaned it to friends who flew it all over the Caribbean In their RV-6 and it tracked them perfectly. Ditto a friend on a motorcycle trip.

So if you need the messaging features and altitude, definitely go for the InReach, but if you just need a simple tracker, you might try spot and be surprised.

Guess I just got a good one...

Kirk
66

Old May 9th 18, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

By the way, 5 minute tracking is available on Gen 3 Spot at no extra cost. You have to configure your tracker using the web application to turn it on though. Gen 3 Spot now also does altitude on glideport.aero and the SSA site, although not on Spot's own site.

My experience has been that the Gen 3 reliability is better than Gen 1 and much better than Gen 2. Point dropouts are not that common. On the newer Gen 3 units, altitude seems more reliable than on older ones.

So with a newer Gen 3, I'm getting 5 minute tracking and altitude for about $225/year, including all fees. For me, this is worth it because I use it 12 months.
Old May 9th 18, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 11:01:16 AM UTC-5, John Carlyle wrote:
Kirk,

I'm willing to pay for devices that work properly. My Spot dropped many points, and I see the same behavior on Spot traces from other pilots. Relying on Spot would seem be be like relying on an OnStar type system that only transmits every 3rd word.

Given that performance, your remark that Spot plans are cheaper than those from InReach is like noting you can get a lower price on oats that have already been through the horse.

-John, Q3

I'm curious which Spot you were using. I've been using my Spot Gen 1 since they first came out and it has worked fine for me so far; if there are any delays in displaying points it hasn't bothered my wife or affected any retrieves. So as they say, YMMV - I'm satisfied with the service I get.

And truth in advertising - my Spot renewal came out to be around $195, so not a lot cheaper.

It's nice that we have options.

Kirk
Old May 9th 18, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR

Kirk, one reason spot might be working well for you is location. Spot uses geostationary satellites and has better signal in the center of the country. For us on the edges, not so much. My "track record" was about 75% success. Inreach also has delivery confirmation so a much higher success rate, and it is truly global, so works as well on the coast as it does anywhere else. And with the plan T8 described, about the same yearly cost...

Rick
Old May 10th 18, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Kirk,

My Spot was a Gen 2. Perhaps that explains the poor performance I got, going by what 2KA said above that in his experience this model isn’t as reliable as the Spot 1 and Spot 3 generations.

I agree - it’s nice that we have options. I like the idea that my new InReach will always provide a contact capability during remote country XC that my cell phone and PLB might not, while clearly your Spot 1 meets your needs. As you said, YMMV...

-John, Q3

Old May 10th 18, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 10:54:53 AM UTC-7, RR wrote:
Kirk, one reason spot might be working well for you is location. Spot uses geostationary satellites and has better signal in the center of the country. For us on the edges, not so much. My "track record" was about 75% success. Inreach also has delivery confirmation so a much higher success rate, and it is truly global, so works as well on the coast as it does anywhere else. And with the plan T8 described, about the same yearly cost...

Rick

Wrong, Rick. Spot uses low earth satellites that are whizzing by. Globalstar has upgraded their satellite network (replaced broken ones) in recent years so I'm sure performance now is better than it used to be. The biggest issue people have with Spot performance is its placement. For best result antenna should aim up with a clear view of sky. It's really a statistical thing. For the most part the satellites are going to be in the low sky near the horizon. So it's actually having a clear view of the sky around the horizon that matters most for best performance. Personally, I moved on to InReach years ago as I greatly value the two way messaging that InReach offers.
Old May 10th 18, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

New data:

https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lan...paign=SPOTX_PR

Old May 11th 18, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Thursday, 10 May 2018 16:12:13 UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
New data:

https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lan...paign=SPOTX_PR

Looks like a reincarnated Blackberry phone! Looked around web site and could not find exact dimensions.
Ron