Passed IRF Retest

Old May 13th 04, 10:41 PM
Matt Whiting

Bill Gamelson wrote:
You don't know what 666 means in reference to IFR?

Yes-- I don't know. Please explain.

One you have your IFR ticket, you must get 6 hours of instrument time and 6
instrument approaches in 6 months to stay IFR current. Otherwise you will
need an Instrument Comp Check. Thus, 666 is an easy way to remember that.

You need to get current on your IFR currency requirements! :-)

Matt

Old May 14th 04, 12:15 AM
Bill Gamelson

Why don't you just pick up a recent copy of the AIM for ten bucks? It's
probably more affordable for you on that warehouse salary.

I'd rather get the King course and go through the whole kit and caboodle
again.

I like his humor, and I'm sure there's been many more changes than would be
expressed in the AIM.

Old May 14th 04, 12:22 AM
Bill Gamelson

You need to get current on your IFR currency requirements! :-)

Yes. Last time I flew IFR was in about 1993. Lots of changes since then.

Old May 14th 04, 12:22 AM
Bill Gamelson

What I learned was Six approaches, Holding, Intercepting, and Tracking,
and
you have to do all that sh*t within the last six months.

Yes, that makes it a sliding six months. I guess they dropped the six hour
rule, so it's six approaches in six months, but holding patterns?
Intercepting and tracking would come naturally with approaches, but are
holding patterns required now for proficiency? Those Air France pilots
would be lost! Lost I tell ya!! Those autopilots aren't set up to do
holds. LOL!!

Old May 14th 04, 03:07 AM
Richard Hertz

"Bill Gamelson" wrote in message
om...
Why don't you just pick up a recent copy of the AIM for ten bucks?

It's
probably more affordable for you on that warehouse salary.

I'd rather get the King course and go through the whole kit and caboodle
again.

I like his humor, and I'm sure there's been many more changes than would

be
expressed in the AIM.

You must be the only one who likes his humor. Why don't you spend some time
with an instructor in a simulator and doing ground school. the courses are
only geared to passing the knowledge test.

The FARs and AIM come out every year - you cannot go wrong buying it and
reading it.

Old May 14th 04, 03:17 AM
Bill Gamelson

You must be the only one who likes his humor. Why don't you spend some
time
with an instructor in a simulator and doing ground school. the courses

are
only geared to passing the knowledge test.

I already have my IFR ticket. The knowledge is what I'm after. All I
really need is a refresher course, but I'd rather just go through the entire
home study course so I don't miss anything. The sim time is not needed as
when I can afford to fly again I'll get an instrument comp check and that
will no doubt take awhile longer than usual. Maybe between 5 and 6 hours of
hood time will get me back in the hack again.

The FARs and AIM come out every year - you cannot go wrong buying it and
reading it.

That is without question as the FAR/AIM is required to fly PIC. It's one of
the thing I gotta have anyway.

Old May 14th 04, 04:15 AM
Teacherjh

but I'd rather just go through the entire
home study course so I don't miss anything.

There is no way you are not going to "miss anything". You can fly for years
and keep learning... isn't that also "stuff you missed"

Jose

Old May 14th 04, 06:18 AM
tony roberts

Hi Jon

I already congratulated you once but my post didn't show up.
So - Congratulations again. I'll be looking to you for some tips in the
near future

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old May 14th 04, 11:44 AM
Matt Whiting

Bill Gamelson wrote:

You need to get current on your IFR currency requirements! :-)

Yes. Last time I flew IFR was in about 1993. Lots of changes since then.

Yes, I last flew a little over 4 years ago, but still pre-9/11. I just
joined a flying club and hope to get back into the cockpit next week.

Matt

Old May 14th 04, 11:46 AM
Matt Whiting

Bill Gamelson wrote:

What I learned was Six approaches, Holding, Intercepting, and Tracking,

and

you have to do all that sh*t within the last six months.

Yes, that makes it a sliding six months. I guess they dropped the six hour
rule, so it's six approaches in six months, but holding patterns?
Intercepting and tracking would come naturally with approaches, but are
holding patterns required now for proficiency? Those Air France pilots
would be lost! Lost I tell ya!! Those autopilots aren't set up to do
holds. LOL!!

Holds have been required for proficiency as they are in the PTS. If you
can't fly what's in the PTS and what you could do when you got your
certificate, then you aren't proficient by definition.

Matt