MFD recommendations

Old January 26th 04, 01:57 AM
C J Campbell

"carlos" wrote in message
| Thanks. How do you like your MX-20? I do think it's a bit more expensive
| than the King. One reason I'm leaning towards the King is that these are
the
| units Cessna uses on their newer planes (well, at least until they start
| using the Garmin 1000s), so maintenance/support should be easier.

The King displays are at half the resolution of a VGA screen and show only
eight colors. Special use airspace is depicted in the same color as your
route. I have *frequently* found this to be a serious problem.

The MX-20 is bigger, full VGA, and shows 256 colors. You can get options to
have it depict Jeppview approach plates and superimpose your aircraft right
on them. It has many more features than the King displays and is much easier
to use for monitoring terrain and course.

This display gives you a lot more bang for the buck than the Garmin 430/530,
being bigger and clearer without forcing you to replace your GPS or radios.

Old January 26th 04, 03:14 AM
Mark Manes

Carlos,
I had a similar stack to yours in my 310. A used Garmin GPS 400 came
available locally. I decided to go with the GPS 400 and an Avidyne EX500 MFD
(it has integrated datalink) for the built in weather capabilities. The
EX500 was less than the other MFD's to boot. It works great. Also you
might consider that later you may want Traffic Information Services (TIS)
which will allow the GPS 400 to display Mode S traffic data from a Garmin
GTX330 (only works in areas with Mode S implemented). I fly in the Dallas
area a lot and the Traffic comes in very handy. I also added a Garmin 340
audio panel. With my two KX 155's and KN64 I really like what I have in the
plane now. You could probably add an EX500 MFD and display the GPS data from
your GX55. Avidyne's got a web site with some good stuff on it. Check it
out.

"carlos" wrote in message
Hi everyone and thanks to all who helped me out with my Garmin 196 v. 295
question. It seems the 196 is ahead by a nose at the moment... (mainly due
to its redraw speed).

Anyway, I just got my plane (first flight was this morning!!! although it
did greet me with a dead battery)... It's a 1977 Cessna 206G for all you
curious bunch.

I'm thinking of adding some avionics and would appreciate your
thoughts/knowledge on this matter.

My current avionics stack includes:

Apollo GX55 IFR GPS
2 KX155 radios
King audio panel, ADF and transponder
S-TEC 50 autopilot

I would like to add a color moving map to my stack as well as a

stormscope.
Since I already have two very good radios, I think a Garmin 430 would be a
waste of money (even if I traded in one of the KX155s). A friend of mine
recommended I get a King MFD (150 or 250) which has GPS and moving map,

but
no radio. They also interface with the stormscope and the combined cost
would be less than a 430.

I suppose there are other possibilities as well.

Any thought, comments or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

CGP.

---

Old January 26th 04, 11:21 PM
carlos

Thanks Mark.

I'll take a look at the Avydine products. Right now, I'm checking my second
KX155 as it seems to be broken. Depending on the outcome/cost/etc I may opt
for a Garmin 430. Also thinking of getting a 340 audiopanel and a
transponder.

Cranking numbers as we speak...

I wish I had an unlimited budget, so I could add HSI and JPM 900. :-)

Best Regards,

CGP.

Old January 27th 04, 04:04 PM
McGregor

$600 - for a color moving map:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tegory=26 436

Argus 7000 - It'll run off of your GX55, displays airways, shows bearing and
distance to any navaid or airport, has ARTCC freqs, VOR freqs, Runway
dimensions (and maps), can be configured with an RMI option for IFR
approaches, etc. etc.