Anyone want to talk me out of...

Old September 26th 04, 12:15 AM
Jon Kraus

Default Anyone want to talk me out of...

buying my first airplane? Better hurry because Monday we have the
prebuy inspection to go thru. If that goes well then probably by the end
of next week I'll be an airplane owner (co-owner actually). I have
really gotten a lot out of this and the Mooney owners news and email
groups. It appears that we have found a clean '79 M20J for a decent
price. I am paying more then I originally bugeted but welcome to
aviation right? I figure that I would take the plunge in a plane that I
can use for a while with out feeling like I need to upgrade right away.
I have a feeling that that is what would happen if I would have bought a
152 or Warrior. The Mooney can hold 4 people and cruise at 150 knots on
10 gph. I think that will satify me for a while anyway. Anyone have
any regrets about airplane ownership they care to share?

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
Student Mooney purchaser

Old September 26th 04, 02:19 AM
Jay Honeck

buying my first airplane?

Ha!

Asking that here is like asking a bunch of crack addicts what they think
about drug abuse...

;-)

Go for it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 26th 04, 03:48 AM
Dave

Heh...heh...heh...heh....

Dave

Old September 26th 04, 04:26 AM
Louis L. Perley III

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
[...]

Jump right in, and if you can, participate in the prebuy (take the day off
if you have to, or call in sick it wouldn't be lying, as aviation can
properly be termed an illness, although it's a healthy kind of illness),
you'll learn alot and your mechanic can point out many things to look out
for that will come in handy as an owner. Mooney's make a pretty decent
instrument platform as well from what I hear. Regardless of what kind of
plane you buy, be it a Cessna 152 or a King Air, by this time next year
you'll be thinking about getting something a bit more. This is just human
nature I guess. If it fits your normal mission profile, great! Just don't be
one of those people who buys a plane and then never makes the time to fly
it.. This probably won't be much of a problem since it'll be co-owned. I
hope you know your co-owner real well and have a pretty solid agreement in
place between the two of you. I can speak from experiance that if it's not
laid out in detail, it can fall apart pretty quickly, this would be my only
caution. I've had 1/2 of an aircraft that's ended up sitting on the ground
for two+ years because my co-owners refuse to get things done, and when I
said to heck with it and offered to pay to get it annualed out of my own
pocket, they refused, and since the ownership is 50/50 I'm powerless to do
anything about it (shops on the field won't touch it because they don't want
to get in the middle of the situation, which is understandable). Only
recently, when they've decided to move from the area have they been willing
to let me buy out their half of the airplane. Hopefully we'll get that taken
care of this week and it will no longer be an issue.

--
Louis L. Perley III
N46000 | N370 (half owner)

Old September 26th 04, 04:48 AM
Jim Weir

As Ron Natalie and several of us have noted...

If it flies, floats, or fornicates, it is FAR cheaper to rent.

WELCOME to the ranks...

Jim

Jon Kraus

-buying my first airplane?

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old September 26th 04, 02:22 PM
Dan Luke

Anyone want to talk me out of buying my first airplane?

Heck no! Why shouldn't you postpone your retirement like the rest of
us?

I don't really know how much I've spent on my airplane (I might faint if
I did) but I do know it's given me more enjoyment than any other "toy"
I've ever owned.

Go for it!
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 26th 04, 05:16 PM
Rutger

There is a story about going to your bank, getting a crisp new $100
bill from you account and walking out to the parking lot and burning
it and if that doesn't bother you....

Since you're buying a Mooney, let's alter the story a wee bit:

1) go to your bank and withdraw FIVE crisp new $100 bills from your
account
2) walk out to the parking lot and set them alight with a cigarette
lighter
3) hold them until they burn down to the tiniest unrecognizable corner
of paper
4) continue holding them until they scorch you fingertips and go out.
5) if you can do that and walk away with a smile, and ready to do it
again, then you're ready to buy an airplane, especially a Mooney.

Old September 26th 04, 05:53 PM
Montblack

("Rutger" wrote)
Since you're buying a Mooney, let's alter the story a wee bit:

1) go to your bank and withdraw FIVE crisp new $100 bills from your
account
2) walk out to the parking lot and set them alight with a cigarette
lighter
3) hold them until they burn down to the tiniest unrecognizable corner
of paper
4) continue holding them until they scorch you fingertips and go out.
5) if you can do that and walk away with a smile, and ready to do it
again, then you're ready to buy an airplane, especially a Mooney.

Wouldn't this story work better if a beautiful naked woman is holding your
burning money out in the parking lot.

Another $100 for the naked lady.

Montblack
I'm looking at a project plane myself - first $100 bill is still in my
pocket.

Old September 26th 04, 07:48 PM
Jon Kraus

So are you saying that a Mooney is more expensive to maintain then any
other complex aircraft? I would think that it would be less than a
Cessna retractable gear (because of the gear complexity) or a Beechcraft
retract. Then again I'm just guessing.. Thanks!!

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
Student Mooney purchaser

Old September 26th 04, 07:49 PM