Definition of simulated instrument conditions

Old January 30th 06, 10:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Definition of simulated instrument conditions

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
About 20 years ago, the FAA in Wichita came up with a device
to block the pilot's view forward on the King Air 300, which
required a type rating and that the pilot be able to see the
entire cockpit and reach all the controls. They developed
and approved the use of a sheet metal device that was held
on the glare shield by a spring clamp. There were two metal
pieces attached in such a manner that the pilot could not
see straight ahead but allowed the examiner to see at an
angle through the pilot's windshield. The co-pilot and side
windows were not covered at all.

We have something similar in our club's PA-28 - except we have a louvred
side-window cover as well, so that if you're right next to it, you can't see
out, but if you're in the other seat you can. Works very well, and is much
better than those lousy foggles.

Of course, there's nothing on the right-hand window; all you need there,
though, is a decent-sized instructor/colleague and the view through the
window can be amply blocked :-)

D.

Old January 30th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ron:

I wrote the chief counsel's office about fifteen years ago on this
issue of logging "black hole time" after a long dispute about it on
AVSIG.
They sent me a copy of the above - supporting my position that the
criterion was "solely by reference to instruments" as opposed to "IMC"
for the logging of instrument time.

Reminds me of a time flying VFR over the top at night and the
controller asking my flight visibility. I said about 250,000 miles.
After the silence, I said that all I could see was the moon.

Moonless night over a cloud deck.

One that got my screwed up was fying along on top of a cloud deck that was
pitched at about a 30 degree angle -- pretty hard to override the
inclination to assume a flat deck below you.

Matt Barrow

Old January 30th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

About 40-50 years ago two airliners had a mid-air collision
over NYC, flying VFR between sloping cloud layers. They saw
each other and took evasive action visually, and had the
collision because they saw each other.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old February 5th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

bsalai wrote:

The reason for the question is whether one can log instrument time, say
at night, when you don't look outside, but don't wear foggles or a hood?

If you are in visual conditions, somebody must be looking out the
window to avoid aluminum showers. If you are in the soup, then you are
in actual and the question is irrelevant. I hope you aren't really
asking whether or not you can go up alone in VMC and just "not look out
the window". Such an act would qualify one for a Darwin.

With an appropriate safety pilot, it is still important to not be
distracted by what is outside, which usually means some sort of view
limiting device. Too much peripheral information comes in otherwise,
and you are not really controlling the aircraft solely WRT instruments.

Jose
(alas posting from google until my computer comes back up)