Jepps airport and VOR names ... how used?

Old February 7th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Jepps airport and VOR names ... how used?

"akiley" wrote in message
oups.com...

Question A: I'm trying to get fast and accurate at programming routes
(and possible reroutes) into the KLN94 and G1000 navigators our club
planes are equipped with. I was wondering, does ATC usually give you
the VOR 3 letter ID or the full name? If it's the full name and it's
unfamiliar territory, do you just ask them to spell all VOR and fix
names? Or do you write down the full name longhand then try to find
the match on the chart. I fly a lot of local and they seem to say the
full VOR name.

Full name. You can certainly ask for the identifier.

Question B: How do you know what an airport is *called*? If it has an
IAP you can see it's called "Jackson Tower". (Jackson, MI, KJXN) If
you use a gov VFR chart, or Jepps LOW you would only know to call it
"Jackson County Reynolds tower". Lansing Michigan's airport name is
"Capital City", but it's Lansing Tower on the Jepps IAP. Sees this
could add a layer of confusion when the tower is closed and someone
that doesn't know the area is reporting final Capital City. Why do
they have airport names, but not necessarily use them?

You're speaking of two different things. Airports have names, and control
towers have names, but the control tower and airport don't necessarily have
the same name. The name of the ATC facility at JXN is "Jackson Tower", not
"Jackson County Reynolds tower".

Old February 7th 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...

Well, I can tell you that when I was up there in Alaska (and the last
time was 4 years ago, so things have changed), the id my GPS used
(which was ICAO, and the id that FSS used were different. And if you
looked in the AFD, there were TWO different ids (NONE with the ICAO
prefix) in the AFD). What a mess!!!!! I am sure they are working it out
(I assume they are migrating to ICAO) but I don't have the lastest.

That's odd, I have a 15 year old Alaska A/FD and all the airports that have
two identifiers have the proper 3-letter and ICAO identifiers.

Old February 7th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I remember filing my Jeppesen revisions many years ago, over
a period of about 8 weeks, the City of St. Louis renamed the
Lambert Airport every week, I guess it was to celebrate
something. First it was Lambert Field, Then it was St.
Louis Lambert Airport, then it was St. Louis Lambert
International Airport, then they began again. This required
that every approach chart and procedure be re-issued. It was
a pain in the neck because some local politician was
exercising their right to name the airport.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
message
link.net...

Old February 8th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

This came about by the increased usage of computers in Air Traffic Control.
Computers could not understand or process a VOR(Cleveland VOR) CLE direct
to Cleveland (Hopkins) Airport CLE. So it was decided to change the name
the name of the VOR. So Cleveland VOR becamw Dryer VOR (DBJ). It was
nameed after a very prominent Cleveland aviation family. Milwaukee VOR
became Badger, South Bend VOR became Gipper (wonder why?) and so on.
Al

"Henry A. Spellman" wrote in message
Controllers sometimes don't remember that a fix or facility name has
changed. I live near Bloomington, IL, with a VOR named Bloomington (BMI).
My son lived near Bloomington, IN, and the VOR approach to the airport
nearest his home was based on the VOR at Bloomington, IN, naturally named
Bloomington VOR (BMG if I remember correctly). Shortly after the
Bloomington (IN) VOR was renamed Hoosier VOR (OOM), I was enroute to see
my son when I received an amended clearance "direct to Bloomington VOR".
I asked for clarification, and the controller repeated the same clearance.
Bloomington (IL) (BMI) was behind me, so I asked why he wanted me to turn
around. Then it dawned on me, and I asked if maybe the last clearance was
really for Hoosier VOR. He agreed that Hoosier VOR would be better.

You can't ever let your guard down.

Hank
Henry A. Spellman
Comanche N5903P

Marco Leon wrote:
Interesting questions.
Question A: It depends on the controller. In the Northeast, I've found
that
the more commonly-used VORs are referred to by name only while others
have
the identifier called out on a regular basis--especially if the ID is
nothing like the name. Just ask the controller to give it to you by the
identifier beforehand. They'll probably have no probem with it.

Question B: Like you mentioned, the Jepps have the spoken name on their
charts which is one of their benefits. At least at my home field--where
the
spoken name is Republic and the charts are under Farmingdale--I've never
personally heard it cause any confusion (with or without the tower
operational). Most pilots can figure it out quite readily. Call them by
whatever the ATC facility is using (either tower or Approach) and you
can't
go wrong. As for the history of WHY, well, that probably varies with each
facility.

Marco

Old February 8th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In a previous article, "Allan9" said:
This came about by the increased usage of computers in Air Traffic Control.
Computers could not understand or process a VOR(Cleveland VOR) CLE direct
to Cleveland (Hopkins) Airport CLE. So it was decided to change the name
the name of the VOR. So Cleveland VOR becamw Dryer VOR (DBJ). It was
nameed after a very prominent Cleveland aviation family. Milwaukee VOR
became Badger, South Bend VOR became Gipper (wonder why?) and so on.
Al

So why are so many VORs around here still sharing the name and ident with
the local airport? SYR, ROC and BUF are all FAA ids that are shared
between airports and their on-field or nearby VORs. BUF VOR is even part
of the BUFFALO ONE departure from BUF airport, and is part of the feeder
routes for several instrument approaches there.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"It should be understood by those skilled in the art that a Web browser, such
Old February 9th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Paul Tomblin wrote:

So why are so many VORs around here still sharing the name and ident with
the local airport? SYR, ROC and BUF are all FAA ids that are shared
between airports and their on-field or nearby VORs. BUF VOR is even part
of the BUFFALO ONE departure from BUF airport, and is part of the feeder
routes for several instrument approaches there.

Flying out of Syracuse, I was thinking the same thing...

--
Peter
Old February 9th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article q0XFf.79086$QW2.34288@dukeread08,
says...

I remember filing my Jeppesen revisions many years ago, over
a period of about 8 weeks, the City of St. Louis renamed the
Lambert Airport every week, I guess it was to celebrate
something. First it was Lambert Field, Then it was St.
Louis Lambert Airport, then it was St. Louis Lambert
International Airport, then they began again. This required
that every approach chart and procedure be re-issued. It was
a pain in the neck because some local politician was
exercising their right to name the airport.

That's funny - but at least being St Louis, you didn't have to wonder
what city name to use. Lots of airports are located next to small towns
that an "outsider" pilot doesn't know or care about. Someone flying in
from a thousand miles away might think of HPN as a New York airport. They
probably know it's called Westchester County, but they may never have
heard of White Plains. And that's an example from a well-known airport.
Who knows off the top of their head the town associated with Harriman and
West?

GF

Old February 9th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Allan9" wrote in message ...

.... So Cleveland VOR becamw Dryer VOR (DBJ). It was
nameed after a very prominent Cleveland aviation family. Milwaukee VOR
became Badger, South Bend VOR became Gipper (wonder why?) and so on.
Al

"And so on" indeed.
In 1956, the Columbus, Ohio zoo had the first gorilla baby ever born
in captivity. Shortly after, our VOR was renamed APE (Appleton).

Old February 10th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Allan9" wrote in message

This came about by the increased usage of computers in Air Traffic
Control. Computers could not understand or process a VOR(Cleveland VOR)
CLE direct to Cleveland (Hopkins) Airport CLE. So it was decided to
change the name the name of the VOR. So Cleveland VOR becamw Dryer VOR
(DBJ). It was nameed after a very prominent Cleveland aviation family.
Milwaukee VOR became Badger, South Bend VOR became Gipper (wonder why?)
and so on.

Flight data processing computers could understand and process VOR to airport
and airport to VOR routes with identical identifiers. They still do, the
VORs that had their identifiers changed were typically those that were more
than about five miles from the airport.

By the way, Dryer is DJB, not DBJ.

Old February 10th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

So why are so many VORs around here still sharing the name and ident with
the local airport? SYR, ROC and BUF are all FAA ids that are shared
between airports and their on-field or nearby VORs. BUF VOR is even part
of the BUFFALO ONE departure from BUF airport, and is part of the feeder
routes for several instrument approaches there.

Because they're on or near the airport. Only the VORs that were some
distance from the fields were changed, generally more than five miles.