LXNav V7 Setup

Old February 9th 15, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
svelusive

Default LXNav V7 Setup

Hi Group,
I realize this is not the correct forum for system set-up, especially XCSoar. I posted on their user group and haven't received a definitive answer that I can comprehend (surely user error).
I decided that my old Cambridge 20 and LNav weren't worth throwing more resources at so I purchased a LXNav V7.
I have a PowerFlarm Core using a V7 cable to connect to the V7 GPS Port. I have a RJ45 cable with Tx,Rx and Ground from the V7 PDA Port to a Soartronic interface IOIO feeding a Dell Streak 5. I have tried all sorts of settings in Communication in the V7 and Devices settings in the Streak. The Streak shows "connected" but "no data".
I've been at this now for three days and am at a loss.
Does any member have this set-up that can possibly set me on the right path? I know it would be easier if I just purchased an Oudie but that's not in the budget.
Thank you so much, in advance. And a case of beer if I see you this summer..
Steve
Old February 10th 15, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
erihc

Hi Steve,
There are enough "Oudie Victim Support Groups" out there to prove that Oudie is more expensive but not easier!

I have a V7 with IOIO and Dell Streak 5.
A few things to check:
1. Make sure there is no "UART dyslexia" in the cabling (test with multimeter):
RX from the PowerFlarm connects to the TX GPS port of the V7,
TX from the PowerFlarm connects to the RX GPS port of the V7,
RX from V7 PDA port connects to TX on the IOIO and
TX from V7 PDA port connects to RX on the IOIO.

2. "software settings" in V7:
- PowerFlarm output is 19200 Baud (by default); set V7 GPS port to 19200 Baud (better than AUTO)
- V7 PDA output set to 19200 Baud
V7 Baud settings can be adjusted in V7 Settings - Comm.

3. XCSoar settings:
- in XCSoar under (Config, Config) Devices: choose one device port (A-F)
- Edit:
Port: chose the port that you are plugging the V7 into the Soartronic IOIO (0-3) you might have to try each one.
Baud rate: 19200
Bulk baud rate: 19200
Driver: LX /Colibri
Sync. from device: On
Sync. to device: On

Select: Enable

If working will show: Baro, Vario, Flarm, GPS

Try IOIO Uart 0 - 3 with above settings.
(GPS will show once satellites are locked)

hope this helps
Erich
Old February 10th 15, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
svelusive

On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 5:43:46 PM UTC-8, erihc wrote:
[...]

Thank you so much Erich. That is the information I was seeking. You have given me hope. I will check it out at the airport tomorrow and let you know.

Steve
Old February 10th 15, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
erihc

On Tuesday, 10 February 2015 12:54:23 UTC+11, svelusive wrote:
[...]

"no data" was a "good" sign - XCSoar can see the Soartronic!
As an extra:
Select "IOIO voltage sensor" in XCSoar / Devices on Device F.
It should show "connected" and give you charging info in XCSoar in the Info menu.
I will check this list tomorrow to see if you had any luck.
Erich

Old February 10th 15, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

The PDA port on the V7 is non-IGC compliant! double check your wiring. I had the same problem until I looked at the cabling pin order. The PDA counts pin 1 on one side of the connector and the Soartronic starts counting from the other side. You need to turn the RJ-45 connector upside down, as I recall.
Old February 10th 15, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
svelusive

On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 6:00:50 PM UTC-8, erihc wrote:
[...]

Erich,

Thanks so much. Your help did the trick! I checked the cables (including the "factory" cable for continuity. As is common, I guess, I had a wiring dyslexia issue. I made new cables and it all works. A few little projects and I'm ready to soar.

I'll be in Bend Oregon, King Mountain Idaho and Nephi this summer to supply your beer. Yay!

Steve

Old February 10th 15, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
erihc

very good!
Enjoy your new instrument setup and the coming season!
...I am in Queensland / Australia, but your country is on the bucket list!
Erich
Old February 22nd 15, 08:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 4:49:26 PM UTC-7, svelusive wrote:
[...]

Steve, try the bluetooth wireless transmitter available for the V7. Works like a charm and no wires.
TZ
XR
Old February 22nd 15, 08:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

[...]

Steve, also I believe I found a pin wiring glitch in the V7 RJ connector instructions/schematic. It gave me fits for days.
TZ
XR
Old February 22nd 15, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
svelusive

Thanks Tom,

I have it all working now. I haven't had the chance to fly with it yet so there could be issues and I would give the Bluetooth a try.

On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 3:49:26 PM UTC-8, svelusive wrote:
[...]

LXNAV V7 - Reviews? David Reitter Soaring 10 October 21st 14 12:41 AM
LXNAV Flarmview [email protected] Soaring 2 September 29th 13 01:47 AM
New vario by LXNAV [email protected] Soaring 6 May 22nd 13 11:15 PM
LXNAV flarmMouse DC[_5_] Soaring 15 January 11th 13 06:26 AM
LXNAV V7 Paul Remde Soaring 2 November 2nd 11 12:31 AM