Saitek X45 Joystick and Throttle

Old January 31st 04, 01:52 PM
Dave Schwartz

Default Saitek X45 Joystick and Throttle

Hi. Does anyone have the Saitek X45 Joystick and Throttle combination. Got
it at Best Buy recently. Are you happy with it. Can you suggest
assignments for it's numerous buttons and controls? Should I keep it or
return it?

--
Dave Schwartz
Commack, NY

Old January 31st 04, 02:35 PM
Richard Whitcombe

"Dave Schwartz" wrote in message
et...
Hi. Does anyone have the Saitek X45 Joystick and Throttle combination.

Yes

it at Best Buy recently. Are you happy with it. Can you suggest
assignments for it's numerous buttons and controls? Should I keep it or
return it?

Why would you want to return a perfectly good working joystick ? Why buy it
if you didnt want it ?

For what its worth im very happy with mine althoug hi preferred the X36
(nicely colour, less annoying LEDs). I dont use many of the button
combinations, the only really useful ones i set are the thumbwheel rotary
for elevator trim and the forefinger 4 way had on the throttle for rudder
trim.

On that subject a rant, WHEN will MS enable me to set the rudder trim to a
rotary wheel ! The elevator is great, surely they should give us rudder
too.

Old January 31st 04, 03:03 PM
Chris Burson

"Richard Whitcombe" wrote in message
:
[...]

I'm with Richard on this one, Dave. I can see no reason to return an X45
system if you've already got a fully functioning one. I used to own the
first series Microsoft Force Feedback joystick - which was fine - but this
Christmas I went for the Saitek X45 because of the separate throttle. I did
have some concerns about the lack FF but when you get playing, you never
notice the absence of FF (or the presence of it either - it's 'just there',
in the background).

The configuration isn't quite as straight forward as it should be (drag and
drop is needed) and it isn't a flexible as it should be either (as Richard
notes). But these 'limitations' affect all controllers, not just the X45.

All in all, I'm very happy with mine. (The lack of FF also means there's not
another, annoying, power supply to plug in.) Full marks for Saitek!

Cheers,

Chris

Old January 31st 04, 04:07 PM
evlsith

Dave,

I have the X45 and I have to say that I love it. The only downfall is that
there's no way to connect rudder pedals to it ( But I wasn't willing to
spend 200 bucks for the future ability to connect pedals). As far as button
assignments. Go to the Saitek site and you can download profiles for it. I
use the FS2002 for fs( and it works just fine. It even assigns rudder to
both the rudder buttons ont he underside of the throttle and to one of the
throttle rotary switches. comes in handy trimming yaw while flying a helo.

Chuck

Old January 31st 04, 06:41 PM
Richard Whitcombe

I'm with Richard on this one, Dave. I can see no reason to return an X45
system if you've already got a fully functioning one. I used to own the
first series Microsoft Force Feedback joystick - which was fine - but this
Christmas I went for the Saitek X45 because of the separate throttle. I

did
have some concerns about the lack FF but when you get playing, you never
notice the absence of FF (or the presence of it either - it's 'just

there',
in the background).

I had a FFB stick as well, from my experience no game, including flight sim
modelled feedback properly - even in FS2002 (i havent tried 2004 with it)
was grotty and felt like a poorly tested addon after thought - it didnt help
my flying at all.

The configuration isn't quite as straight forward as it should be (drag

and
drop is needed) and it isn't a flexible as it should be either (as Richard
notes). But these 'limitations' affect all controllers, not just the X45.

I tend not to use the saitek config software as the MS in game assignments
thing works well - the inability to bind rudder trim as an analogue axis is
a MS problem with the game itself and not the joystick - you wont bind it on
any controller for that reason.

Old January 31st 04, 08:09 PM
John Hogan

Hmmm, I assigned the rudder axis to the thumb rotary on the throttle and
all is well. Even works on the helicopters.

John H.

Old January 31st 04, 08:30 PM
Denis Winters

I have been using this stick for quite a while now: I love it. I use CH
Pedals for the rudder though. I do not use the rudder in the stick. I can
send you the profile i use if you would like.

Contact me at

and I will print out a copy and E-Mail it

Denis

Old January 31st 04, 09:08 PM
Richard Whitcombe

"John Hogan" wrote in message
Hmmm, I assigned the rudder axis to the thumb rotary on the throttle and
all is well. Even works on the helicopters.

Sorry i mean rudder trim not rudder.

Old January 31st 04, 10:11 PM
Roy

I use the x-45 and I love it. I can post a rundown of my assignment
settings if anyone is interested. I do not use any "profiles" when playing
flight sim. (I do use profiles for other games though) I just leave the
joystick's direct x assignments alone and assign functions from within
FS2004 itself. I also use ch usb pedals