PA24 Comanche - alternator belt "flipped" in flight

Old July 10th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
SBC News

Default PA24 Comanche - alternator belt "flipped" in flight

1962 PA24 just annualed and a new alternator belt was fitted as prop was
removed. The new belt looks different from the old, but the part number (I
am told) was supposed to be matched/equivalent. The new belt has "teeth" as
it were. The old one was just a standard tapered belt with smooth surfaces.
On a 3 hour flight back to base the belt flipped over. It now has the teeth
facing outwards. It is probably lucky it did not break.
Fixing the problem will require removing the prop unless it is the correct
belt but was somehow not correctly adjusted. (It was the correct way around
on pre-flight and tension seemed correct too.)
Has anyone come across this new belt, and had any similar problems? To my
mind, we just need a belt that looks like the old one. I suspect they are
not compatible, but the mechanic says that according to part numbers they
are.
Any info, appreciated.

Old July 10th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Jul 10, 7:30 am, "SBC News" wrote:
[...]

Different manufactureres make their belts differently. That
"toothed" belt is more flexible and generates less heat, so it lasts
longer. Most likely the belt wasn't tight enough, or the alternator is
seizing up, or it's overloaded because the voltage regulator is
failing, or the engine vibrates too much.

Dan

Old July 11th 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John[_9_]

On Jul 10, 10:09 am, wrote:
[...]

Another thing to consider is the alignment of the alternator pulley
and the ring gear of the engine. Misalignment can contribute to a
belt coming off or wearing out very quickly. If the belt flipped it
must have been very close to coming off altogether. Alternator
vibration should be considered too, are the bearings good on the
alternator. In any event I would consider this belt trashed and get
it replaced. It sounds like your mechanic was being conscietous
enough to trace applicabilty and supersedure of part numbers rather
than go down to auto zone and get close enough.

John Dupre'

Old July 13th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
"SBC News" wrote:

[...]

Another possible cause of 'flipping" is if the pulley is worn enough for
the bottom of the belt to touch the bottom of the V in the pulley.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)