Favorite picture of my favorite airplane.

Old August 3rd 07, 04:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
russell[_2_]

Default Favorite picture of my favorite airplane.

I stood on the wing of this Corsair when I was about 6 years old (about
1959). It was standing on the side of the road in a junk yard owned by a
Garage proprietor, near Hamilton airport in New Zealand. My dad took a photo
of us with his box brownie, but that pic is long gone. A few years later
when visiting Hamilton we saw it again, this time at Hamilton Airport, and
then a few years after that again we saw it but this time it was mounted on
a big pole out side James Aviation, a large aerial top dressing and
cropspraying company. I was later saddened to hear it was sold to the US.
But very happy to see many years later pictures of a most beautiful Corsair,
and find out it was the same one that had been my favourite as a kid.
When I was little dad always took us Sunday driving and most times we would
end up at the airport for a look. (He still does, and he's 80 now.) Whenever
we went on holidays it was the same never went past an airport without going
in to check out the planes. I had other ties with aircraft too as a kid, but
I have bored you's enough already..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair31 copy.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	15489  Click image for larger version

Name:	1200941.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	15490

Old August 4th 07, 12:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
russell[_2_]

Nope, an Ex-RNZAF FG-1D. Only one airworthy example of the 424 aircraft
procured exists today: NZ5648/ZK-COR, owned by the Old Stick and Rudder
Company at Masterton, NZ

"pe.rhodes" wrote in message
. ..
F-4U-1 of VF-17, the Jolly Rogers... I think...

Old August 4th 07, 04:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Russell

Thankyou for giving us a wonderful picture and a story behind it.
"russell" wrote in message
Nope, an Ex-RNZAF FG-1D. Only one airworthy example of the 424 aircraft
procured exists today: NZ5648/ZK-COR, owned by the Old Stick and Rudder
Company at Masterton, NZ

"pe.rhodes" wrote in message
. ..
F-4U-1 of VF-17, the Jolly Rogers... I think...