Real glider or RC model?

Old January 15th 10, 02:35 AM
tienshanman tienshanman is offline
Member

Default Real glider or RC model?

Those crafty Germans in their ginger bread, garden gnome workshops are building model sailplanes that blur the distinction between the real thing and RC models. Check this out:

http://www.manfred-schadl.de/ASW15b%20gr%20a.jpg

I was thinking of getting one of these for my 2 year old and launching his flying career early.....

Last edited by tienshanman : January 15th 10 at 05:39 AM.

Old January 15th 10, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

tienshanman wrote:
Those crafty Germans in their ginger bread, garden gnome workshops are
building model sailplanes that blur the distinction between the real
thing and RC models. Check this out:

http://www.manfred-schadl.de/ASW15b%20gr%20a.jpg

I was thinking of getting one of these for my 2 year old and launching
his flying career early.....

--
tienshanman

Where do they find the "little people" to fly them?

I know a guy who is working on a video downlink from one of these so
you can pretend you're actually in the cockpit.

Impressive.

9B
Old January 15th 10, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marian Aldenhövel[_2_]

Hi,

I know a guy who is working on a video downlink from one of these so
you can pretend you're actually in the cockpit.

Available off the shelf:

http://www.tomica.de/cgi-bin/cgi_nav...8 9&undefined

Never seen one, just stumbled on the site when looking for something
completely different.

Ciao, MM
Old January 15th 10, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

Honestly I never understood why anyone would do this. R/C Modelers
always claim they "can't afford to fly the real thing" so they settle
for models, but they spend more in modeling than it costs to fly real
gliders.

I spent about $3000.00 flying r/c helicopters... but it only cost me
$2500.00 to learn to fly real gliders, and my check ride should be any
time now And I bet that 1/2 scale glider costs more than a Ka6.

-tom

Old January 15th 10, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Tom,

While I haven't had much time for modeling in recent years - I don't think
lower cost than the "real thing" is the main reason modelers do it. I think
they enjoy building the models. If I had time I would enjoy building glider
models when I can't be flying. We have long months of poor soaring weather
here in MN this time of year. Just a thought.

Paul Remde

Old January 15th 10, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 19:49:40 +0100, Marian Aldenhövel wrote:

Hi,

I know a guy who is working on a video downlink from one of these so
you can pretend you're actually in the cockpit.

Available off the shelf:

http://www.tomica.de/cgi-bin/cgi_navigator.pl?

page=acme2010&language=eng&ID=00000000003080891263 581303&src=acme2010&time=&lfdnr=89&undefined

Never seen one, just stumbled on the site when looking for something
completely different.

They're only VGA (640x480) resolution and a tiny plastic lens. The units
sold by DogCam have somewhat higher resolution and (probably) better
lenses. There's a good video on their website, shot on the Nurburgring
from a Caterham 7 as it blows smoke in a Porches face.

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/

However, one of the cuter toys that used to be available (and maybe still
is) was an Italian made RC pilot. The receiver and servos were in the
pilot figure, which had articulated arms and legs. Great for the scale
guys: you build a fully furnished cockpit with working stick, rudder, etc
and strap the 'pilot' in when you want to fly it. I can see this system
flying an unflapped glider, but not how it could operate flaps and
release. IIRC part of strapping it in involved attaching hands and feet
to the controls.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 15th 10, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:19:38 -0600, Paul Remde wrote:

While I haven't had much time for modeling in recent years - I don't
think lower cost than the "real thing" is the main reason modelers do
it. I think they enjoy building the models. If I had time I would
enjoy building glider models when I can't be flying. We have long
months of poor soaring weather here in MN this time of year. Just a
thought.

I'll buy that. I used to fly a lot of Free Flight, F1A towline glider,
and always[1] designed and built my own models. As Paul says, the
satisfaction from winning or placing well in a comp with your own design
model is far ahead of flying a bought one.

[1] With one exception: my last team place was flown with a bought M&K
model, but only because the other team members insisted. They told me I
needed a bunt model and that was the only way I could get one and be
familiar with it before the event.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 15th 10, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
db_sonic

On Jan 15, 11:19*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi Tom,

While I haven't had much time for modeling in recent years - I don't think
lower cost than the "real thing" is the main reason modelers do it. *I think
they enjoy building the models. *If I had time I would enjoy building glider
models when I can't be flying. *We have long months of poor soaring weather
here in MN this time of year. * *Just a thought.

Paul Remde

Agree with Paul here on why people do this. There is a lot of
satisfaction in starting with just some basic components and building
something that looks fantastic and flies, in a lot of cases, quite
well. And the flying itself is extremely challenging. As challenging
as you want to make it where you can make planes do things full size
can only dream of. Check this **** out. One of my buddies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYCZcZEi8rI
Old January 15th 10, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Jan 15, 12:19*pm, db_sonic wrote:
[...]

DG Airparts holds a contest every summer in Montague for RC Gliders,
Siskiyou County Airport. Many 50 and 100k model flights.

http://www.xcsoaring.com/index.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com