losing your wings.....

Old October 20th 05, 07:35 PM
Greasy Rider© @ invalid.com

Default losing your wings.....

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:39:19 -0700, "Mike Kanze"
postulated :

Did my generation do these stupid stunts? Hell, yes. (Even in A-6s.) Were
our actions any "better" than this young man's? Hell, no.

A-5s out of Oceana used to make bomb runs on the Kerr Lake dam which
is on the VA/NC border. I've been in one of the campgrounds and you
could almost count the rivets on the Grumman Iron.
Old October 20th 05, 08:51 PM
Tom

"John Carrier" wrote in message

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in message
ups.com...
years and years to earn...seconds to lose...

---------------------------------------
SAN LUIS OBISPO - At a quarter past noon on Jan. 21, a U.S. Navy F-18
Super Hornet jet fighter flown by a combat-tested pilot named Richard
Webb appeared over the Edna Valley and streaked toward San Luis Obispo
County Regional Airport.

On its first pass, the Super Hornet screamed along at more than 650
miles an hour, just 96 feet above the main runway. Soon it circled
back, touched down on the tarmac for an instant, then went into a steep
climb, afterburner roaring, and disappeared in the skies.

SNIP

You're sure now. Not 95 feet, not 97, but precisely 96 feet?

...and was he on QFE? Or is it only Falcon drivers who make that mistake? ;-)

R / John

Old October 20th 05, 09:49 PM
~^ beancounter ~^

r u sure?...it is the la times.....i used
to know paul conrad...the la times political
cartoonist.....that always seemed like a cool
job......

"With the caveat that this is through the prism of the mainstream
media, I'll work on the basis that the details are accurate."

Old October 20th 05, 09:51 PM
Dave in San Diego

Greasy Rider© @ invalid.com wrote in news:koofl1hirk309hqcfb9esupckiuqls8bun@
4ax.com:

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:39:19 -0700, "Mike Kanze"
postulated :

Did my generation do these stupid stunts? Hell, yes. (Even in A-6s.) Were
our actions any "better" than this young man's? Hell, no.

A-5s out of Oceana used to make bomb runs on the Kerr Lake dam which
is on the VA/NC border. I've been in one of the campgrounds and you
could almost count the rivets on the Grumman Iron.

Didn't you really mean A-6s? Viggies are North American Iron, formerly out of
somewhere in Jawja.
Old October 20th 05, 09:52 PM
~^ beancounter ~^

then tell me Mike, what makes a good fighter
pilot?

Old October 20th 05, 09:55 PM
leadfoot

You're sure now. Not 95 feet, not 97, but precisely 96 feet?

It's probably a readout of a flight data recorder coming from a radio
altimeter on the FA-18 which may read in 4 foot increments below 100 feet.

Another reason why this guy is an idiot since he had to know he was on the
FDR

R / John

Old October 20th 05, 10:05 PM
Greasy Rider© @ invalid.com

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:51:32 GMT, Dave in San Diego
postulated :

Didn't you really mean A-6s? Viggies are North American Iron, formerly out of
somewhere in Jawja.

Yep! Right after hitting the "enter" key I saw the typo. I've always
wanted a keyboard with a "Ignore Last Key" .

Ride Safe!
Greasy Rider© SLOB-6
'97 FLHTCI Lehman trike
Life is best behind bars
Old October 21st 05, 02:25 AM
Joe Delphi

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
ink.net...

Besides, from the rest of the article -- the part where he wrote a nasty
email to one of the people who reported the flyby -- he sounds like he
really loved flying and was pretty angry about getting busted. But that
same incident demonstrates his continuing poor judgementand lack of
maturity. He broke the rules and knew it; blaming others for turning him

in
was just plain childish. Sounds like he thought it would have been OK to
violate flight safety rules if no one had caught him at it.

Yep, I agree. The letter writing incident is almost more revealing about
his character than the whole flyby part of it. There is probably a lot more
to this story, involving his personality, than what got wrote up in the LA
Times article. He probably ****ed off more than a few people along the way
of his military career and when he needed some help at the end of the long,
green table - there was none to be found.

JD

Old October 21st 05, 03:10 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Dave in San Diego" wrote in message
Greasy Rider© @ invalid.com wrote in
4ax.com:

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:39:19 -0700, "Mike Kanze"
postulated :

Did my generation do these stupid stunts? Hell, yes. (Even in A-6s.) Were
our actions any "better" than this young man's? Hell, no.

A-5s out of Oceana used to make bomb runs on the Kerr Lake dam which
is on the VA/NC border. I've been in one of the campgrounds and you
could almost count the rivets on the Grumman Iron.

Didn't you really mean A-6s? Viggies are North American Iron, formerly out
of
somewhere in Jawja.

North American in Georgia? Not in my lifetime (nor before the, IIRC)...

KB

Old October 21st 05, 04:53 AM
Yofuri

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Dave in San Diego" wrote in message

Greasy Rider© @ invalid.com wrote in
4ax.com:

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:39:19 -0700, "Mike Kanze"
postulated :

Did my generation do these stupid stunts? Hell, yes. (Even in A-6s.) Were
our actions any "better" than this young man's? Hell, no.

A-5s out of Oceana used to make bomb runs on the Kerr Lake dam which
is on the VA/NC border. I've been in one of the campgrounds and you
could almost count the rivets on the Grumman Iron.

Didn't you really mean A-6s? Viggies are North American Iron, formerly out
of
somewhere in Jawja.

North American in Georgia? Not in my lifetime (nor before the, IIRC)...

KB

Built at Columbus, OH, based at NAS Albany, GA. Purtiest airframe the
Navy ever bought, with no ailerons, elevator or rudder.

http://www.bobjellison.com/RA5C_Vigilante.htm

Rick