filtering the spam out of this r.a.i.?

Old January 3rd 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave J

Default filtering the spam out of this r.a.i.?

It looks like rec.aviation.ifr is downing in a sea of "MI5
Persecution". Is there nothing that can be done to stem this tide? In
the old days I would just killfile the person or a regexp against the
title, but this is actually hard. Besides, I'm using Google to access
usenet now.

I've just never seen it as bad as this, and I've been using usenet
since '93.

-- dave j
Old January 4th 08, 09:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Dave J wrote:
It looks like rec.aviation.ifr is downing in a sea of "MI5
Persecution". Is there nothing that can be done to stem this tide? In
the old days I would just killfile the person or a regexp against the
title, but this is actually hard. Besides, I'm using Google to access
usenet now.

I've just never seen it as bad as this, and I've been using usenet
since '93.

-- dave j

It's happening on some other unmoderated groups, too.

That is why newgroups like this one are dying.
Old January 4th 08, 09:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
tscottme

Copy and paste the spammer's message with full header into a complaint to
the spammer's ISP. Send it to .

At next month's meeting of The Conspiracy I'll suggest that we replace the
traking device we implanted in one of his teeth with bird flu and
hemmorhoids.

Scott

Old January 4th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Everett M. Greene[_2_]

Dave J writes:

It looks like rec.aviation.ifr is downing in a sea of "MI5
Persecution". Is there nothing that can be done to stem this tide? In
the old days I would just killfile the person or a regexp against the
title, but this is actually hard. Besides, I'm using Google to access
usenet now.

I've just never seen it as bad as this, and I've been using usenet
since '93.

The MI5 nonsense is a minor nuisance compared to the flooding
of other newsgroups with totally artificially-generated
positings of gibberish. A week or more ago, one of the NGs
to which I subscribe was hit with 700+ garbage postings in
one day.
Old January 4th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Marco Leon[_4_]

"Dave J" wrote in message

It looks like rec.aviation.ifr is downing in a sea of "MI5
Persecution". Is there nothing that can be done to stem this tide? In
the old days I would just killfile the person or a regexp against the
title, but this is actually hard. Besides, I'm using Google to access
usenet now.

I've just never seen it as bad as this, and I've been using usenet
since '93.

I use Giganews which does a pretty good job of filtering the biggest
problems. I also use Outlook Express and simply highlight the MI5 stuff and
hit delete. Takes all of 3 seconds.

Marco

Old January 4th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Everett M. Greene wrote:
Dave J writes:

It looks like rec.aviation.ifr is downing in a sea of "MI5
Persecution". Is there nothing that can be done to stem this tide? In
the old days I would just killfile the person or a regexp against the
title, but this is actually hard. Besides, I'm using Google to access
usenet now.

I've just never seen it as bad as this, and I've been using usenet
since '93.

The MI5 nonsense is a minor nuisance compared to the flooding
of other newsgroups with totally artificially-generated
positings of gibberish. A week or more ago, one of the NGs
to which I subscribe was hit with 700+ garbage postings in
one day.

You need to use NewsProxy as a free add-on to your newsreader. It will allow
you to filter on crossposts, among other things. While I've seen numerous
complaints about MI5 this week in several newsgroups, I've yet to see any of his
postings.

Do a google search on NewsProxy, also known as nfilter. The author no longer
supports it but it still works. I'm using it with Outlook Express.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old January 5th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Michael Huber[_2_]

Dave J wrote:

I've just never seen it as bad as this, and I've been using usenet
since '93.

Hm. I'ld recommend to switch providers, I had to actually Google to find out
what these people complaining about MI5 postings are talking about. Thank
you for filtering, T-Online.

Twit filtering Anthony W Home Built 6 January 5th 08 08:27 PM
spam Kobra[_3_] Piloting 10 August 15th 07 01:12 PM
(OT Spam) Statement on Spam and VoteNader.org Roger Halstead Restoration 0 April 10th 04 07:03 PM
Ear plugs and noise filtering Top Spin Piloting 12 January 16th 04 04:52 AM
Thanks for the spam Capt. Doug Piloting 0 July 25th 03 11:53 PM