PUSH START

Old July 15th 08, 01:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
stanley adelson

Default PUSH START

When the USAF had heroes!

F-100 Super Sabre had a large chamber that accepted a large gas
generating cartridge. When ignited by electrical current, the expanding gas
from the black powder-like pyrotechnic cartridge drove a starter turbine
that brought the engine up to a self-sustaining RPM. This device eliminated
an absolute need for using slower, bulky ground starting units.

On the other hand, the cartridge spewed out a characteristic dense cloud
of choking black smoke, often mistaken by inexperienced ground crews as a
true fire emergency.

The powder charge for the ground start came in a big sealed can, and on
opening and extracting the cartridge, you'd find two small metal tabs on the
bottom of the cartridge.

These tabs were the electrical contact that fired the cartridge when the
pilot moved the throttle outboard on start. As soon as a tiny RPM
registered on the tach, you brought the throttle around the horn to feed
fuel and ignition to the rapidly-building engine speed.

Sometimes, the big metal receptacle holding the cartridge would get so
dirty from repeated use that the metal tabs wouldn't make contact. Then the
cartridge would deny firing to fire, so the crew chief would smack the
starter receptacle with a wooden wheel chock, usually curing the device of
any reluctance to detonate. We'd often take a starter cartridge can along
with us as an alternative starting method.

The story is told, of USAF Captain John Green who had stopped in at
Memphis MCAS, in an F-100 way back in the early '70s.

He was approached by Marine crewmen, who then asked what kind of plane
he was flying. Green's slightly lofty response called it a ' S-U-P-E-R '
Sabre. The tenor of his reply merely generated increasingly puzzled stares
from the inexperienced ground crewmen.

One of the ground crew said, ' Sir, I don't think we have tech data on
this bird. What will you need for start . . a ' huffer' . . or just an
electrical jolt from our APU ?'

His eyes glistening considering a practical jokers dream . . but
poker-faced and without pause . . he turned to the young Marine crewmen and
told them : " NEITHER ONE . . GUYS ! "

" You've got me fueled up. So just pull all the pins and hand them up to
me. Then, get at least six ( 6 ) buddies from the other crews to give me a
brief shove toward the active runway. After you get me rolling at a fast
walk . . everyone just stand away from the tail pipe when I ' POP ' this
SUPER Sabre's . . CLUTCH ! Then stand back and watch this ' thing ' start .
.. just by using the muscle energy you've volunteered."

More and more puzzled glances from the ' greenie ' Marines . . all of
their mouths opened a bit in wonder as they thought of something to say.
What else would a young Marine say ?

And " YESSIR ! Let's do it . . became their ringing response. "

The Hun was pretty finely balanced on the two main gear struts. When you
tapped its brakes, the nose strut compressed so much that the F-100's nose
took a dip, just like our cars' hoods dipped when we occasionally ' clutch
started ' following a dead battery push from our buddies while ' drag
racing ' our hot rods.

So now . . still doubtful . . six Marines are standing at the ready . .
but they're not about to confront an Officer to challenge him on his
engine start procedures.

John further instructed them : " Just get me going at about a fast walk.
When we're going fast enough, I'll wave you all clear. And when you're clear
of the aircraft, I'll just pop the clutch and be on my way. And thanks for
the fast turn around ! "

Six husky Marines quickly shoved the Super Sabre to a brisk-stepping
speed.

Green gives them an exaggerated arm wave-off.

The Marines let the bird go, then warily stood clear before the pilot made
the ' clutch move' he'd warned them about

He didn't disappoint them. John momentarily jumped on both brakes . .
dipping the nose to approximate ' popping the clutch.'

Simultaneously, he secretly pushed start button . . that generates a BOOM
along with

a HUGE CLOUD of BLACK SMOKE as the F-100's engine whined to life.

A chuckling Captain Green headed out to the runway's takeoff end, while
six puzzled Marines with their mouths slack in amazement, appeared ' pinned
' in the smoky wake.

IN LIFE`S JOURNEY IT IS NOT ABOUT GOING TO THE GRAVE IN A WELL PRESERVED
BODY , BUT SLIDING IN SIDEWAYS IN A TOTALLY WORN OUT BODY SAYING HOLY ****
WHAT A RIDE!!!!!!

Aviation is proof, that given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the
impossible."

- Captain Edward Rickenbacker

Why the sudden push for military benefits Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 February 3rd 05 10:20 PM
Push to Talk Switch Jackal24 Piloting 23 December 26th 04 10:01 PM
Portable Push-To-Talk switch help Eric Brown Owning 9 April 16th 04 04:26 AM
Amerika/Israel Push for War With Syria Paul Lee Home Built 1 October 23rd 03 10:38 AM
Young Eagles push (USA) John H. Campbell Soaring 0 September 22nd 03 03:48 PM