"Long Cross-Country" flight for commercial rating - must it be completed in one day?

Old April 17th 05, 01:37 PM
Marty Ross

Default "Long Cross-Country" flight for commercial rating - must it be completed in one day?

I would like to use a flight I took two years ago to show I've satisfied the
"Long Cross Country" requirement for my Commercial ticket. On that flight,
I flew from SMO to O22 (259NM), then to (124NM) in one day, then turned
around several days later and flew back - CIC to SZP (353 NM) to SMO (36NM),
again in a single day.

After reading the official requirement (see below), I think I have it. Note
that it doesn't indicate that the flight needs to be done in a single day.
But then, one could argue then that any "flight" that includes a single leg
of over 250NM would qualify.... Go figure!

Is there anywhere in the regs where it defines what "Cross-Country" flight
means? Here is the requirement for the "Long Cross-Country" flight for the
Commercial rating (FAR (§61.109.a.4.i):

"One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total
distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a
straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original
departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the
longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of at least 150
nautical miles; and " [...],

So, the questions remaining a

1.) Do the "three landings" have to be done in one day?

2.) Is there any "recency" requirement for this - e.g. does this trip not
count because it was taken almost two years ago?

3.) Are there other reasons that I can't use this flight that I'm not even
aware of??

Here are the details about the flight I am hoping fulfills this requirement
for me:

July 25, 2003:

SMO = O22 (259 NM)

O22 = CIC (124 NM)

July 29, 2003:

CIC = SZP (353 NM)

SZP = SMO (36 NM)

Old April 17th 05, 01:45 PM

But, what about all the external wiring required and where do you place the
laptop?

And, what is this about an external display?

Old April 17th 05, 01:55 PM
Roy Smith

"Marty Ross" wrote:
1.) Do the "three landings" have to be done in one day?

I'm not aware of any requirement that the flight be completed in one day,
but by the same token, I'm not aware of any definitive ruling in the other
direction. My commercial X/C was White Plains, NY to Key West, FL (2300
flight miles round trip, more or less). The trip consisted of (IIRC) 7
legs over about a week. No single day's flying met the requirement, but my
examiner didn't question it.

But, the only real answer is to ask your examiner ahead of time. If he's
cool with it, you're good to go. If he objects, well, at least you know
ahead of time where you stand (better to find out now than on the day of
the checkride).

2.) Is there any "recency" requirement for this - e.g. does this trip not
count because it was taken almost two years ago?

There is certainly not currency requirement. Experience doesn't expire
unless there is some specific time limit mentioned in the regs.
Old April 17th 05, 02:46 PM
Andrew Gideon

Roy Smith wrote:

But, the only real answer is to ask your examiner ahead of time.

As far as I can tell, the following would be a legitimate XC by the
regulation:

Day 1: CDW-AUG (286 miles)
AUG-CDW
Day 2: CDW-4N1 (10 miles? 15?)
4N1-CDW

My point is that it appears that any 250+ mile trip will likely yield a
valid XC if combined with other flights from other days. And that seems
contrary to the spirit of the regulation, at least how I grasp it. After
all, why not simply require the 250 mile flight, or something along those
lines?

- Andrew

Old April 17th 05, 06:10 PM
BTIZ

as far as I can tell.. from the information provided... you are good to
go... talk this over with your CFI.. the keys are distance covered..
furthest point at least 250nm from where you started.. and "solo" cross
country... so one assumes that you did not take your girl friend / wife /
significant other with you.

BT

ink.net...

Old April 17th 05, 06:14 PM
Bob Gardner

The definition of "cross country" you are looking for is found in 61.1.

Bob Gardner

ink.net...

Old April 17th 05, 11:10 PM
Scott Skylane

Marty Ross wrote:
/snip/
So, the questions remaining a

1.) Do the "three landings" have to be done in one day?

2.) Is there any "recency" requirement for this - e.g. does this trip not
count because it was taken almost two years ago?

3.) Are there other reasons that I can't use this flight that I'm not even
aware of??

Marty,

1) No,
2) No,