IGC APproval for GPS with WAAS

Old November 24th 03, 09:49 PM
Ivan Kahn

Default IGC APproval for GPS with WAAS

I was wondering if any of the manufacturers are considering submitting for
IGC approval a GPS WAAS system that does not incorporate a barograph? Seems
to me that such system is far more accurate then those that incorporate a
barograph, and should also never need calibration.

Ivan

Old November 24th 03, 10:53 PM
Tim Newport-Peace

In article _1vwb.96689$Dw6.473262@attbi_s02, Ivan Kahn
writes
I was wondering if any of the manufacturers are considering submitting for
IGC approval a GPS WAAS system that does not incorporate a barograph? Seems
to me that such system is far more accurate then those that incorporate a
barograph, and should also never need calibration.

Ivan

Most unlikely as it the Technical Specification requires a barometric
record.

While I have no intention of entering into a long discussion on why
barometric traces are required, the comparison between barometric and
GPS altitude is a useful check and in the event of GPS signal being lost
temporarily, the barometric trace will prove flight continuity.

GPS altitude cannot be used for checking for Airspace Infringements and
this would invalidate it's use in many competitions.

Tim Newport-Peace

"Indecision is the Key to Flexibility."
Old November 25th 03, 09:17 PM
Ivan Kahn

"Tim Newport-Peace" ] wrote in message
[...]

I agree, why traces are needed is really the point. But I believe a GPS with
WAAS is far more accurate than a barograph and should also be more cost
effective. But unless someone seeks approval then I would not expect any
specification to change. I was just wondering if there is any movement in
this area.

Ivan

Old November 25th 03, 10:37 PM
Tim Newport-Peace

In article hFPwb.225716$mZ5.1710772@attbi_s54, Ivan Kahn
writes
I agree, why traces are needed is really the point. But I believe a GPS with
WAAS is far more accurate than a barograph and should also be more cost
effective. But unless someone seeks approval then I would not expect any
specification to change. I was just wondering if there is any movement in
this area.

Ivan

I don't think it happens quite that way. If you submit a recorder that
does not conform the Specification in Force at the time, approval will
not be granted until it DOES conform. The specification would need to be
changed FIRST.

I do not believe that the requirement for Barometric Altitude will be
removed any time soon.

Best regards,

Old November 26th 03, 12:06 AM
Adrian Jansen

You might want to consider the implications of WAAS. I have no direct
experience, but the principle is that you take an external signal and use it
to 'correct' the GPS location to another place - hopefully more accurate.
But what is to stop you sending bogus 'corrections' and making the GPS think
its somewhere else entirely ? The WAAS signals are much easier to generate
than the original GPS satellite signals. Sounds an easy way to cheat to me.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen
J & K MicroSystems
Microcomputer solutions for industrial control

Old November 26th 03, 02:42 AM
Carl Buehler

I have long been hoping the Garmin GPSmap 76S would be consided
as an IGC approved device. I usually do not enable the WAAS in my
device.
But find the 76S to be very accurate after a flight when I generate an
..igc file from the track log using GPSDump and loading it into SeeYou.
I was on a flight Sunday, in a LET-L13 in Zephyrhills, FL. I got off
tow at
3000' AGL. I had a 2.3 hr. flight. at one time during the flight I had
dropped
down to 1400' AGL, I was about to enter the pattern but found a weak
thermal and started to work it. About 50 minutes later I was at 4700'
AGL. When I landed, some club members told me they thought that
probably would have been good for a Silver Altitude. I am not sure.
That was like my 20 TH solo flight.

If The Garmins would be an IGC approved device. I would carry my 76S
on every
flight. You never know!

Carl

Old November 26th 03, 06:10 AM
Eric Greenwell

Carl Buehler wrote:

If The Garmins would be an IGC approved device. I would carry my 76S
on every
flight. You never know!

When you start flying cross-country, you'll be carrying it anyway!

--
-----
Replace "SPAM" with "charter" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old November 26th 03, 09:38 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
"Adrian Jansen" wrote:

You might want to consider the implications of WAAS. I have no direct
experience, but the principle is that you take an external signal and use it
to 'correct' the GPS location to another place - hopefully more accurate.
But what is to stop you sending bogus 'corrections' and making the GPS think
its somewhere else entirely ? The WAAS signals are much easier to generate
than the original GPS satellite signals. Sounds an easy way to cheat to me.

But how far can the WAAS signal "correct" the GPS one?

I assume the principle is that the transmitter knows exactly where it
really is, so if GPS says it is somewhere else then the difference is an
error which will apply to all other GPS receivers in the area. Since
the GPS error is likely to be on the order of 5m - 10m, and very very
unlikely to be more than a couple of hundred meters, I would expect the
system to be designed to correct the GPS positions by no more than a few
hundred meters.

Another characteristic is that the correction is the same not only for a
reasonably large geographic area, but that the necessary correction
changes quite slowly, over a period of many minutes. If I was designing
the system, I expect I would also take advantage of that to reduce the
amount of information that need to be transmitted.

So I would expect a maximum correction possible of, say, less than a km,
and rapid changes to the correction to be either impossible or else
rather unusual and therefore suspicious.

I don't see how you could use that to make any significant difference to
a glider flight.

-- Bruce
Old November 26th 03, 02:50 PM
Ivan Kahn

"Adrian Jansen" wrote in message
You might want to consider the implications of WAAS. I have no direct
experience, but the principle is that you take an external signal and use

it
to 'correct' the GPS location to another place - hopefully more accurate.
But what is to stop you sending bogus 'corrections' and making the GPS

think
its somewhere else entirely ? The WAAS signals are much easier to

generate
than the original GPS satellite signals. Sounds an easy way to cheat to

me.

--
Regards,

I do not believe it is at all easy to fake GPS WAAS and GPS is already
acceptable for position. But it is very easy to fake a barograph.

Ivan

Old November 26th 03, 04:21 PM
Ian Strachan

In article , Ivan Kahn
writes

snip

I do not believe it is at all easy to fake GPS WAAS and GPS is already
acceptable for position.

But it is very easy to fake a barograph.

A drum-type baro, yes, it has unfortunately been done and some cases
have been publicised in the public domain. Not easy if it is an
electronic pressure sensor embedded in a secure GNSS flight recorder.
You have to fake both the pressure and GNSS-altitude traces and make
them similar. Now that is less that straightforward, I think.

Yes, you could probably fake one, or the other. But both together is
not easy. How many people have access to a GPS simulator and a pressure
chamber? And the ability to co-ordinate the two into a plausible IGC
flight data file that still passes the security checks?

Also, the faked fixes would have to agree with the weather of the day,
thermal/wave conditions, winds with height, etc. All of which can be
checked against other flights done on that date and in the same area.

Finally, on flights to be validated an OO has to observe the recorder in
the glider and the time and place of takeoff and landing. How do you
fake this beforehand?

Yes, I suppose that anything is possible but I suggest that the "height
of the fence" that IGC has put up against cheating or malpractice with
GNSS flight recorders, is suitably high. Make it too high and we would
not fly because there would be too many checks to do first!

--
Ian Strachan

WAAS and Garmin 430/530 DoodyButch Owning 23 October 13th 03 04:06 AM
Updated IGC approval documents for Cambridge GNSS flight recorders Ian Strachan Soaring 0 August 27th 03 05:28 PM
Terminology of New WAAS, VNAV, LPV approach types Tarver Engineering Instrument Flight Rules 2 August 5th 03 03:50 AM
WAAS Big John Piloting 8 July 22nd 03 01:06 PM
Garmin Behind the Curve on WAAS GPS VNAV Approaches Richard Kaplan Instrument Flight Rules 24 July 18th 03 01:43 PM