Lowrance GPS

Old January 20th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Lowrance GPS

In article ,
Dave wrote:
We like it very much, has exceeded our expectations....

And NO FREAKING MAGNETS in the antenna with instructions to mount it
on the cowl!! (beside the compass) !!

WHAT was Garmin thinking??

Garmin's antennas do not contain magnets. The issue with magnets and
the Garmin 396 has to do with the XM receiver. As far as I know,
Lowrance doesn't have XM capability.

JKG
Old January 20th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Garmin's antennas do not contain magnets. The issue with magnets and
the Garmin 396 has to do with the XM receiver. As far as I know,
Lowrance doesn't have XM capability.

Yet.

Rumor mill says: Lowrance is going to roll out XM weather for the 2000c at
Sun N Fun...

Lowrance is not known for meeting deadlines.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 20th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ummm.. but when you want to use the XM Rx, they DO have magnets, and
they want to install them in a light aircraft, and they affect the
compass, and , and, and, .....

On some other pilots groups, there is much discussion and disgust...

It's a hot topic, and costing Garmin reputation..

The magnets are very difficult to remove, and removal (they have made
it very clear) will void the warranty, do not admit it is a problem or
concern, and (apparently so far) have no intention of correcting it..

(according to Garmin replies pasted in the NG's)

And the XM is expected soon for the Lowrance...

I do not own anAviation Garmin, what I relate here is from others who
do, and thet appear quite dissappointed..

Dave

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:30:34 -0500, Jonathan Goodish

Old January 21st 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

CPA.. Cherokee Pilots Association.. prolly in the archives now...

And one I heard of in one of the Cessna groups/chats, and two
threads here and in Rec.aviation.owning. (I think)

Been a while...

Dave

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:54:43 GMT, "Lakeview Bill"
wrote:

In what group is this conversation going on?

"Dave" wrote in message
.. .
Ummm.. but when you want to use the XM Rx, they DO have magnets, and
they want to install them in a light aircraft, and they affect the
compass, and , and, and, .....

On some other pilots groups, there is much discussion and disgust...

It's a hot topic, and costing Garmin reputation..

The magnets are very difficult to remove, and removal (they have made
it very clear) will void the warranty, do not admit it is a problem or
concern, and (apparently so far) have no intention of correcting it..

(according to Garmin replies pasted in the NG's)

And the XM is expected soon for the Lowrance...

I do not own anAviation Garmin, what I relate here is from others who
do, and thet appear quite dissappointed..

Dave

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:30:34 -0500, Jonathan Goodish

Old January 21st 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The magnets aren't a big deal--really. Garmin provides a total of 11
feet of cable to run the XM receiver well away from the compass if the
magnets bother you. The folks who find the magnets absolutely
unacceptable appear to be a very small minority of consumers.

My point, though, was that Garmin does NOT use magnets in their GPS
antennas, and Lowrance does NOT have XM capability. Personally, I'm
willing to live with the magnets (though I agree their presence is
puzzling) to get a capability that Lowrance cannot deliver. Who's to
say that Lowrance won't have magnets in their XM unit, if they ever
bring one to market?

JKG

In article ,
Dave wrote:
Ummm.. but when you want to use the XM Rx, they DO have magnets, and
they want to install them in a light aircraft, and they affect the
compass, and , and, and, .....

On some other pilots groups, there is much discussion and disgust...

It's a hot topic, and costing Garmin reputation..

The magnets are very difficult to remove, and removal (they have made
it very clear) will void the warranty, do not admit it is a problem or
concern, and (apparently so far) have no intention of correcting it..

(according to Garmin replies pasted in the NG's)

And the XM is expected soon for the Lowrance...

I do not own anAviation Garmin, what I relate here is from others who
do, and thet appear quite dissappointed..

Dave

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:30:34 -0500, Jonathan Goodish

Old January 21st 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The Garmin 296 and 396 use a big lithium battery. They both will go 8
hours on GPS only. When you plug in the XM on the 396 the life goes to
4 hours. I usually just plug the XM in when I need a weather update. I
also carry a spare battery and can also use ships power.

Garmin leads the way in GPS and the other manufacturers are just
playing catch up. There is no comparison, the 396 is the cutting edge
and has the best form factor and user interface.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Old January 21st 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yes..all good points...

But certianly a flub on their part, and the 11 ft of cable is not
necessarily convenient.

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:33:30 -0500, Jonathan Goodish
wrote:

The magnets aren't a big deal--really. Garmin provides a total of 11
feet of cable to run the XM receiver well away from the compass if the
magnets bother you.

The cowl just seems to be the fav place for most ofus, remember many
users of the portable units are renters, and do not have the luxury of
"installing 11 ft of cable" to get around this issue.

The folks who find the magnets absolutely
unacceptable appear to be a very small minority of consumers.

Possibly, but seems to be a significant %age of the few who use the XM
option.. but I have no data on this, or ever will have..

My point, though, was that Garmin does NOT use magnets in their GPS
antennas,

Correct

and Lowrance does NOT have XM capability.

Yet,...... lately, the DO have a habit of delivering on what they say
they will...

Personally, I'm
willing to live with the magnets (though I agree their presence is
puzzling) to get a capability that Lowrance cannot deliver.

Who's to
say that Lowrance won't have magnets in their XM unit, if they ever
bring one to market?

I hope they are wise enough to at least learn from Garmin's mistake..

Being "second" in introducing a new feature is not always a bad
thing..

We will see...

Cheers!

Dave

JKG

In article ,
Dave wrote:
Ummm.. but when you want to use the XM Rx, they DO have magnets, and
they want to install them in a light aircraft, and they affect the
compass, and , and, and, .....

On some other pilots groups, there is much discussion and disgust...

It's a hot topic, and costing Garmin reputation..

The magnets are very difficult to remove, and removal (they have made
it very clear) will void the warranty, do not admit it is a problem or
concern, and (apparently so far) have no intention of correcting it..

(according to Garmin replies pasted in the NG's)

And the XM is expected soon for the Lowrance...

I do not own anAviation Garmin, what I relate here is from others who
do, and thet appear quite dissappointed..

Dave

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:30:34 -0500, Jonathan Goodish

Old January 21st 06, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"karl gruber" wrote:

Garmin leads the way in GPS and the other manufacturers are just
playing catch up. There is no comparison, the 396 is the cutting edge
and has the best form factor and user interface.

True, alas.

The 396 is a great piece of gear, but we desperately need some real
competition in this field. What's Lowrance's problem, anyway?

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old January 21st 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In what group is this conversation going on?

CPA.. Cherokee Pilots Association.. prolly in the archives now...

And also this group, many times.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA