Flair vs flare

Old June 25th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Flair vs flare

Please understand that I am a geezer, and getting crotchety in my old age.

I have Summit Aviation's CD-ROM that includes just about every piece of
paper issued by the FAA...regulations, AIM, PTS, ACs, etc etc etc. I have
searched this resource for two words: flair and flair. My Webster's Ninth
had already told me that "flair" meant "a skill or ability to appreciate or
make good use of something," as in "a flair for the dramatic," or "a
uniquely attractive quality," as in "fashionable dresses with a flair all
their own." I got nine hits from the search engine; the Glider Pilot's
Handbook uses both spellings in succeeding paragraphs, believe it or not.
The Sport Pilot PTS for powered parachutes also uses flair. The rest of the
hits were in reports of incidents or maintenance written by pilots or
mechanics where mis-spellings can be kind of forgiving.

I got 427 hits on "flare," including Parts 61, 91, and 121. Some of the
hits were in the context of flare pots to outline landing surfaces or
flaring the end of a tube such as a fuel line, but most dealt with the
process of landing.

To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
"flair" when discussing landings.

Thanks.

Bob Gardner

Old June 25th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Bob Gardner wrote:
I have
searched this resource for two words: flair and flair.

Hey! You did it too.

please stop using the word
"flair" when discussing landings.

How about this:
So if one is good at smooth landings, then that person has a flair for
the flare?

:-)

I do enjoy your books, though, and have recommended them to many
people. (BTW, did you search through them, just in case?)

Peter

Old June 25th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Bob Gardner wrote:
Please understand that I am a geezer, and getting crotchety in my old age.

I have Summit Aviation's CD-ROM that includes just about every piece of
paper issued by the FAA...regulations, AIM, PTS, ACs, etc etc etc. I have
searched this resource for two words: flair and flair. My Webster's Ninth

^^^^^ ^^^^^
Bob, flair and flair look the same to me. :-) I do believe that most
times I flare with flair, but that is just my opinion.

Matt

Old June 26th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I get more upset about the misuse of the word prostrate when
they mean prostate.

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
| It's hot in Seattle today, and my brain is not used to it.
|
| Bob

oups.com...

Old June 26th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Not a problem, I flare with savoir-faire. And panache. Lots of panache.

I used to flare with panache, but the syrup got all over the place.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old June 26th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

To make my reclining years more comfortable, please stop using the word
"flair" when discussing landings.

I share your annoyance at such boo-boos, but I can't resist asking if
you're bedridden, or perhaps you mean "declining" years. ((:-))

Probably as ancient as you, I "decline" to do a number of things I
used to do. And now I can get away with it!

vince norris
Old June 26th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 6/25/06 9:37 PM, in article
, "Jose"
wrote:

Not a problem, I flare with savoir-faire. And panache. Lots of panache.

I used to flare with panache, but the syrup got all over the place.

Jose

It sounds as if you were waffling about landing.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old June 26th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Not a problem, I flare with savoir-faire. And panache. Lots of panache.
I used to flare with panache, but the syrup got all over the place.

It sounds as if you were waffling about landing.

Nah, I was just buttering him up.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.

Flare vs flair Bob Gardner Piloting 23 June 27th 06 12:50 AM
The Two-Handed Flare Larry Dighera Piloting 20 September 28th 05 10:55 PM
Tamed by the Tailwheel [email protected] Piloting 84 January 18th 05 04:08 PM
Wheelbarrowing and Flare Ramapriya Piloting 39 January 2nd 05 03:32 AM
37 degree flare, 1/8" stainless Richard Riley Home Built 8 August 29th 03 04:21 AM