Slaving autopilot to a VOR?

Old May 27th 04, 11:43 AM
Kai Glaesner

Martin,

How can I hook up my autopilot to my AvMap's outputs?

Now THAT would be useful.

If your autopilot supports nav coupling (ie has CDI L/R input pins and
some kind of a mode button to bring this into the control loop), you
can get a converter that generates the standard CDI voltages from an
NMEA RS-232 data stream, see the Smart Coupler on
http://www.porcine.com. Looks like it could be installed in a portable
manner via some panel jack, or get the "LE" model and hide it under
the panel good ;-)

But even it's possible technicaly, I guess nobody would let you do it, just
because the AvMap is a handheld unit (even if Jay straps it on his knee ;-)

Regards

Kai

Old May 29th 04, 05:47 PM
Martin Kosina

"Kai Glaesner" wrote in message ...
Martin,

How can I hook up my autopilot to my AvMap's outputs?

Now THAT would be useful.

Porcine Smart Coupler Info snip

But even it's possible technicaly, I guess nobody would let you do it, just
because the AvMap is a handheld unit (even if Jay straps it on his knee ;-)

Yeah, this is one of those things you probably don't want to ask
about, just install the box in a semi-portable way (quick-disconnect,
zip-tied) and be done with it. Remove before annual.
Old May 29th 04, 06:09 PM
Jay Honeck

But even it's possible technicaly, I guess nobody would let you do it,
just
because the AvMap is a handheld unit (even if Jay straps it on his knee

;-)

It's now "semi-permanently" yoke-mounted.

I used such a strong, industrial-strength Velcro that I can't remove it from
the yoke mount!
;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Rain and autopilot unstable W9MV Owning 3 May 18th 04 08:51 PM
mitchell autopilot dave Owning 1 May 5th 04 06:11 PM
IMC without an autopilot Jon Kraus Instrument Flight Rules 101 April 18th 04 07:17 PM
Chelton AP-3C autopilot Kyler Laird Owning 0 April 2nd 04 03:08 PM
KAP140 Autopilot Details News Instrument Flight Rules 27 October 22nd 03 02:01 AM