Civilian Space Flights

Old June 25th 04, 02:58 AM
Jim Thomas

Default Civilian Space Flights

At the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon (which I probably am), I
need to ask this question:

What is the big deal about Rutan's suborbital flight? Why is this such
a history-making achievement?

The regulars on this newsgroup might recognize me from earlier posts
as a former USAF and contractor test pilot. No one appreciates the
significance (and joy) of doing something in aviation that hasn't been
done before more than I do.

That said, and given that the flight was a piece of technical
brilliance and a demonstration of courage by Mr. Melville, what was
the historic value?

It proved that private industry could put a man into space. The hype
is that this heralds the impending commercial use of space, and of
commercial space exploration. Let's put that into perspective.

First, I contend that nearly all the important explorations on earth
were financed by governments. Columbus' voyage (Queen of Spain) and
Lewis and Clark (US Government) come to mind, never mind the space
program. There doesn't seem to be anything intrinsically bad about
that. By and large, explorations and experiments that are designed to
help all mankind require more money than the commercial world can
afford. And don't necessarily generate a profit for anyone.

Second, sending a man and two dummies into a very short suborbital
trajectory is nowhere near the problem of orbiting people and their
life support systems for extended periods. Which is what commercial
space use will require. Reentry from orbit, for example, isn't even a
factor in the present programs.

Third. who will finance such things? Right now, we have, if I read the
news correctly, a $20 million investment to win a $10 million prize.
Not a great return. I contend that American businesses, being
reasonable, will not invest money without a reasonable expectation of
a profit somewhere down the line. What is the income from a
three-person ballistic trajectory? There are only so many people who
will pay several thousand dollars for such a thrill.

I would like nothing better than to see this space achievement lead to
bigger and better things. Without government money, I just don't see
it happening.

Jim Thomas
Old June 25th 04, 03:09 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jim Thomas" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Oh oh. You're in for it now.

Old June 25th 04, 05:31 AM
QDurham

I would like nothing better than to see this space achievement lead to
bigger and better things. Without government money, I just don't see
it happening.

Oh oh. You're in for it now.

Justifiably. We can go from Galileo all the way up to the Wright brothers and
Lindbergh.. essentially no gov $.

Old June 25th 04, 01:46 PM
Jim Atkins

The point is this is the beginning of the turn away from pure exploration to
commercial exploitation. Admittedly, governments are great at supporting
exploration (see Columbus, Cook, etc.) but their record at putting resources
to work is poor compared to the private sector. Efficiency is not a concept
that comes naturally to a government bureaucrat.

The point here (to rope things back to aviation) is to get a DC-3; a
spacecraft system that can make money without subsidy. I don't think any of
the X-Prize contenders are actually going to lead directly to a viable space
transport system, but they are intended to jumpstart efforts to head in that
direction.

--
Jim Atkins
Twentynine Palms, CA USA

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
-Groucho Marx

Old June 25th 04, 08:28 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"QDurham" wrote in message

Justifiably. We can go from Galileo all the way up to the Wright
brothers and Lindbergh.. essentially no gov $.

Essentially no government money in what between Galileo and the Wright
brothers?

Old June 25th 04, 09:10 PM
QDurham

Justifiably. We can go from Galileo all the way up to the Wright
brothers and Lindbergh.. essentially no gov $.

Essentially no government money in what between Galileo and the Wright
brothers?

Almost all of the groundbreakers in most fields have done their work
independent of government $.

Old June 25th 04, 09:29 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"QDurham" wrote in message

Almost all of the groundbreakers in most fields have done their work
independent of government $.

Most voyages of discovery were government sponsored.

Space Elevator Big John Home Built 111 July 21st 04 04:31 PM
Hubble plug to be pulled John Carrier Military Aviation 33 March 19th 04 04:19 AM
OT (sorta): Bush Will Announce New Space Missions Dav1936531 Military Aviation 0 January 9th 04 10:34 AM
Strategic Command Missions Rely on Space Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 30th 03 09:59 PM