Flight plan equipment suffix

Old November 27th 05, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flight plan equipment suffix

Up till now I have been using the /G Flight plan equipment suffix. I
have IFR rated GPS Garmin 300XL + Narco 122D VOR/LOC/GS. But with the
cost of Jeppesen $kybound service "skyrocketing" (30% jump in one year)
I plan not to update the card full time and use GPS for VFR only - I am
not wealthy nor IFR rated. What would be the appropriate equipment
suffix?
SQ2000 canard http://www.abri.com/sq2000

Old November 27th 05, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Even if your GPS were current, but you do not plan on using it, don't
file /G. Use the next most appropriate one. You probably have a
transponders, so use /U, or /A if you also have a DME.

Old November 27th 05, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

abripl wrote:
I plan not to update the card full time and use GPS for VFR only - I am
not wealthy nor IFR rated. What would be the appropriate equipment
suffix?

It costs $$$$ just to be able to file /G... I's like to but I can't justify
it. I just don;t fly into that many places in bad weather where there isn't
am ILS. Just file /U

Old November 27th 05, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:52:02 GMT, kontiki
wrote:

abripl wrote:
I plan not to update the card full time and use GPS for VFR only - I am
not wealthy nor IFR rated. What would be the appropriate equipment
suffix?

It costs $$$$ just to be able to file /G... I's like to but I can't justify
it. I just don;t fly into that many places in bad weather where there isn't
am ILS. Just file /U

Why would it cost anything to file /G on a VFR flight plan filed with
FSS for purposes of S&R? There is no requirement for the GPS to be
current for VFR flight. If it's working, /G should be perfectly
appropriate in a VFR-only environment.
Old November 27th 05, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Even if your GPS were current, but you do not plan on using it, don't
file /G.

Why not?

Old November 27th 05, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It doesn't cost anything to file it that way, but for VFR it is meaningless.
It just tells ATC that you have a really good backup for situational
awareness. You cannot be issued clearance for an instrument approach if you
are VFR.

Old November 27th 05, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The original poster says "I am not wealthy nor IFR rated" and thus
cannot be issued clearance for an instrument approach anyway. Since
they cannot be operating IFR, what other flight plan is there, and why
isn't /G fine since they have a GPS and there is no requirement that
I'm aware of that a database be current for VFR usage?

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:10:54 GMT, "Michael Ware"
wrote:

It doesn't cost anything to file it that way, but for VFR it is meaningless.
It just tells ATC that you have a really good backup for situational
awareness. You cannot be issued clearance for an instrument approach if you
are VFR.

.. .

Old November 27th 05, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

OK. Then I can just continue using the /G for VFR. And it gives ATC
some ideas what I can do in inadvertent IMC. In fact I had one FSS
comment something that way on a flight filing.