Bomb hits tailplane on release

Old June 22nd 04, 06:02 PM
Paul Housley

Default Bomb hits tailplane on release

Perhaps a bit of a random question for this newsgroup.

A while ago, I saw video footage of a bomb being released from a
fighter-bomber under test conditions. It was on an aviation
documentary. The high speed camera then shows it climb up and destroy
the tailplane. I don't think they quite got their trajectory calcs
right!

Has anyone seen this video? Does anyone know where I could get a copy.
Stills from it would be fine. It's for a uni project in case you were
wondering.

If not, anyone able to point me in the right direction of where to
ask?

Thanks for your help.

Paul.
Old June 22nd 04, 06:20 PM
Richard Brooks

Paul Housley wrote:
Perhaps a bit of a random question for this newsgroup.

A while ago, I saw video footage of a bomb being released from a
fighter-bomber under test conditions. It was on an aviation
documentary. The high speed camera then shows it climb up and destroy
the tailplane. I don't think they quite got their trajectory calcs
right!

Has anyone seen this video? Does anyone know where I could get a copy.
Stills from it would be fine. It's for a uni project in case you were
wondering.

This shows up towards the end of a documentary called Dambusters, which has
been seen on UKs Channel 4. I think I have a copy of it. It also shows
that the Germans were experimenting with much the same thing.

I shall have a look and see what I can do for you.

Richard.

Old June 22nd 04, 06:41 PM
W. D. Allen Sr.

This is a more common problem than people realize. Releasing a store in
flight from a bomb bay or from under wing is not a no-brainer.

The F-86 had instances when drop tanks went up over the leading edge of it's
wing when released under certain flight conditions. The Navy A-3D had
nuclear shapes hang in the bomb bay after release. A retractable "rake" was
mounted in front of the bomb bay to solve that problem. By the way, in WWII
it was not unheard-of for bombers in higher squadrons to drop their bomb
loads onto lower flying bombers.

WDA

end

om...

Old June 22nd 04, 07:05 PM
Richard Brooks

Richard Brooks wrote:
Paul Housley wrote:
Perhaps a bit of a random question for this newsgroup.

A while ago, I saw video footage of a bomb being released from a
fighter-bomber under test conditions. It was on an aviation
documentary. The high speed camera then shows it climb up and destroy
the tailplane. I don't think they quite got their trajectory calcs
right!

Has anyone seen this video? Does anyone know where I could get a
copy. Stills from it would be fine. It's for a uni project in case
you were wondering.

This shows up towards the end of a documentary called Dambusters,
which has been seen on UKs Channel 4. I think I have a copy of it.
It also shows that the Germans were experimenting with much the same
thing.

I shall have a look and see what I can do for you.

Further to searching I find I've only got the BBC2 documentary which does
not go as in-depth but found this on a Web site.

" An American variant of Highball, codenamed Baseball, was also tested but
during one of the tests, the bomb rebounded and hit the dropping aircraft
causing it to crash, and the tests were stopped.
"
The URL;

http://www.computing.dundee.ac.uk/staff/irmurray/bigbounc.asp

I've put a call out in uk.media.tv.misc to see if anyone there has a copy
and will let you know.

Richard.

Old June 22nd 04, 07:14 PM
Robert Briggs

Richard Brooks wrote:
Paul Housley wrote:

A while ago, I saw video footage of a bomb being released from a
fighter-bomber under test conditions. It was on an aviation
documentary. The high speed camera then shows it climb up and destroy
the tailplane. I don't think they quite got their trajectory calcs
right!

This shows up towards the end of a documentary called Dambusters, which
has been seen on UKs Channel 4.

The Lanc may have had guns, but that doesn't make it a fighter-bomber.

That said, without the "fighter-" qualification (and substituting
"damage" for "destroy"), the description does indeed suggest the old
Bouncing Bomb trials.
Old June 22nd 04, 07:21 PM
George Shirley

Richard Brooks wrote:
Richard Brooks wrote:

Paul Housley wrote:

[...]

"Dambusters" was on US Discovery Wings channel again last night. IIRC

that story was told and they had a graphic but no picture. Again, aging
memories, even overnight are not always correct. VBG

George

Old June 22nd 04, 08:16 PM
Regnirps

Paul Housley wrote:

A while ago, I saw video footage of a bomb being released from a
fighter-bomber under test conditions. It was on an aviation
documentary. The high speed camera then shows it climb up and destroy
the tailplane. I don't think they quite got their trajectory calcs
right!

I have also seen something. A Fantom (?) or the like and two chase planes.
Debris or the bomb (missile?) also hits one of the chase planes and it is
destroyed. This was part of a series of accident studies including an F-16
landing with a wheel missing or locked up main gear. The guy ejects after the
F-16 safely comes to a stop, perhaps fearing a collapse and fire.

-- Charlie Springer

Old June 22nd 04, 09:58 PM
Ed Rasimus

On 22 Jun 2004 19:16:25 GMT, (Regnirps) wrote:

Paul Housley wrote:

A while ago, I saw video footage of a bomb being released from a
fighter-bomber under test conditions. It was on an aviation
documentary. The high speed camera then shows it climb up and destroy
the tailplane. I don't think they quite got their trajectory calcs
right!

Modern aircraft employ "ejector" carts which propel the store away
from the rack using a small pyrotechnic charge and a "foot" or pusher.
Earlier aircraft simply used suspension hooks that opened to release
the weapon allowing it to fall away.

Higher speeds mean the store can generate lift (just like any curved
surface.) There were instances of jettisoned fuel tanks from F-105s
climbing as much as 3000 feet above the release aircraft.

Instability caused by a bent fin can also cause a pitch up moment on
release.

I have also seen something. A Fantom (?) or the like and two chase planes.
Debris or the bomb (missile?) also hits one of the chase planes and it is
destroyed. This was part of a series of accident studies including an F-16
landing with a wheel missing or locked up main gear. The guy ejects after the
F-16 safely comes to a stop, perhaps fearing a collapse and fire.

The film you recall was of an F-100 being chased by an F-105 at Eglin.
They were dropping early versions of the MLU-10B land mine. The mine
broached on impact with the ground from a 100' lay-down delivery and
rose up to hit the chasing aircraft. The weapon was inert, but the
impact still destroyed the chase and the pilot ejected.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old June 23rd 04, 02:26 AM
David E. Powell

"W. D. Allen Sr." wrote in message
This is a more common problem than people realize. Releasing a store in
flight from a bomb bay or from under wing is not a no-brainer.

The F-86 had instances when drop tanks went up over the leading edge of

it's
wing when released under certain flight conditions. The Navy A-3D had
nuclear shapes hang in the bomb bay after release. A retractable "rake"

was
mounted in front of the bomb bay to solve that problem. By the way, in

WWII
it was not unheard-of for bombers in higher squadrons to drop their bomb
loads onto lower flying bombers.

There is a film clip around of a B-24 Liberator having a bomb dropped from
above hit her wing root, destroying the plane. Horrible.

Old June 23rd 04, 03:34 AM
WaltBJ

Ed Rasimus wrote in message . ..
SNIP
The film you recall was of an F-100 being chased by an F-105 at Eglin.
They were dropping early versions of the MLU-10B land mine. The mine
broached on impact with the ground from a 100' lay-down delivery and
rose up to hit the chasing aircraft. The weapon was inert, but the
impact still destroyed the chase and the pilot ejected.
SNIP:

The F105 was piloted by Fred Kyler, who was later my WingCo in the
36TFW at Bitburg. The F100F had a pilot and cameraman aboard. The
MLU10 detonated on ground impact and fragged both aircraft. All 3
ejected and landed okay. Col. Kyler had a great color photo hanging in
his office, taken from the ground, showing both aircraft as they
pulled up, starting to flame from the numerous frag hits. I should
imagine the ground cameraman got his ears blasted since he wasn't all
that far from the impact site.
Walt BJ