Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

Old July 1st 20, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

I've come face to face with a black bear in the woods twice.Â* Same bear,
actually.Â* On both occasions I reached for my camera.Â* In a survival
situation, I'll try to avoid him but, like a fire extinguisher or seat
belt, I'd rather have it and not need it...

I've heard that polar bears will hunt a person but I won't be soaring in
the arctic any time soon.

On 6/30/2020 8:26 PM, George Haeh wrote:
If you're out in the real boonies, non Polar bears just want to stay clear of you. At least the ones I've met. Closer to human habitation including campsites, all bets are off.

And yes, bears are perfectly happy to declare eminent domain over any elk, moose or deer kill, whether by humans or wolves. Hang on to your tag until it's safely loaded in your truck.

As for Nanuk, make sure you see him before he sees you. Early 20th century explorers in Hudson Bay reported that polar bears were easy to hunt. Once you spotted one, make enough noise to get its attention and it would come for you. A reliable rifle was vital.

Stephansson reported stalking a polar bear who backtracked behind him. Hearing the bear smacking his lips behind him, Stephansson had just enough time to turn around and shoot.

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 1st 20, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Some really good pepper spray would help, too.Â* I took a whiff once just
to see...

On 6/30/2020 9:55 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Oh perfect. How many glider pilots have had a land out and then successfully fought off polar bears with. Pistol? That is what I thought. I bet I am one of the only pilots on this group to actually have an emergency landing (NiCad run away) then get stalked by a wild animal (mountain lion). The only thing I would have changed is to have a flashlight capable of white light.

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 1st 20, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rudolph stutzmann

Just food for thought:
The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.
Old July 2nd 20, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neal Alders

Just bought the wife a 365xl, and myself a Glock 45. My first glock. Im a 1911 and Berretta M9 guy, so this is my first dip into striker fired polymer sidearms...

Loving my Ruger PC9 Carbine. OMG... Had to set the reloading equipment back up to keep it fed. LOL
Old July 2nd 20, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OldGent

Really guys, if you're so bored with soaring, why insist on punishing the rest of us with your distractions. I've a concealed permit too, but I found a Google Group more fitting for our interests; please take the "My dick is bigger than your dick" gun talk to a more appropriate blog site:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/rec.guns

Old July 2nd 20, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neal Alders

You can always scroll on Sir. Don't like it, don't read it. Last I checked it is still a free country. For now.
Old July 2nd 20, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Spoken like a true narcissist. This is a discussion group on soaring. If you want to discus guns please go to the appropriate newsgroup and not junk up our group with crap. That is just common curiosity, that almost all on this group would afford to you.
Old July 3rd 20, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Il giorno mercoledì 1 luglio 2020 20:22:54 UTC+2, rudolph stutzmann ha scritto:
Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

a good laugh, thank you!

Aldo Cernezzi

Old July 3rd 20, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neal Alders

Pardon me for participating in a thread not on your personal "approved subject list". *eyeroll*
Old July 3rd 20, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Bralla

Why is there all this talk about "soaring" (what is that?) on this gun forum. You "soaring people should find your own newsgroup.