"All-terrain" main wheel dolly

Old December 16th 14, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bastoune

Default "All-terrain" main wheel dolly

All - I am looking for an "all-terrain" wheel dolly for a 15M glider main wheel. I am familiar with the GoJack type products (http://www.zendextool.com/gojak/ ) but unfortunately, the size of the casters will not handle gravel surface. Tires will probably have to be 10" pneumatic to do the job on gravel.

I am looking for pictures of a DIY solution, an existing products, or ideas on how to go about it. The wheel dolly needs to be multidirectional and be able to handle a gravel/unimproved hangar floor. Thanks for any ideas or leads!

Bastoune
Old December 16th 14, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 12:39:37 AM UTC-5, Bastoune wrote:
All - I am looking for an "all-terrain" wheel dolly for a 15M glider main wheel. I am familiar with the GoJack type products (http://www.zendextool.com/gojak/ ) but unfortunately, the size of the casters will not handle gravel surface. Tires will probably have to be 10" pneumatic to do the job on gravel.

I am looking for pictures of a DIY solution, an existing products, or ideas on how to go about it. The wheel dolly needs to be multidirectional and be able to handle a gravel/unimproved hangar floor. Thanks for any ideas or leads!

Bastoune

Something like the below but with the casters replaced? Looks like they should be removable. I could see building a simple ramp/chock combination to allow you to roll the glider into the higher dolly.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...ster--6-in-dia

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...e?cm_vc=-10005

Old December 17th 14, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 12:39:37 AM UTC-5, Bastoune wrote:
All - I am looking for an "all-terrain" wheel dolly for a 15M glider main wheel. I am familiar with the GoJack type products (http://www.zendextool.com/gojak/ ) but unfortunately, the size of the casters will not handle gravel surface. Tires will probably have to be 10" pneumatic to do the job on gravel.

I am looking for pictures of a DIY solution, an existing products, or ideas on how to go about it. The wheel dolly needs to be multidirectional and be able to handle a gravel/unimproved hangar floor. Thanks for any ideas or leads!

Bastoune

These guys could figure it out --

http://www.cynergyergonomics.com/tra...otorized-dolly

but it might be cheaper to do some paving :-).

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old December 17th 14, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 6:15:14 AM UTC-8, Tango Eight wrote:

These guys could figure it out --

http://www.cynergyergonomics.com/tra...otorized-dolly

Cynergy, I like that. It sounds like the warm fuzzy intersection of cynicism and lethargy.
Old December 17th 14, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:51:26 AM UTC-5, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 6:15:14 AM UTC-8, Tango Eight wrote:

These guys could figure it out --

http://www.cynergyergonomics.com/tra...otorized-dolly

Cynergy, I like that. It sounds like the warm fuzzy intersection of cynicism and lethargy.

I can do both but can't decide which to do first.
UH
Old December 17th 14, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Monday, December 15, 2014 10:39:37 PM UTC-7, Bastoune wrote:
All - I am looking for an "all-terrain" wheel dolly for a 15M glider main wheel. I am familiar with the GoJack type products (http://www.zendextool.com/gojak/ ) but unfortunately, the size of the casters will not handle gravel surface. Tires will probably have to be 10" pneumatic to do the job on gravel.

I am looking for pictures of a DIY solution, an existing products, or ideas on how to go about it. The wheel dolly needs to be multidirectional and be able to handle a gravel/unimproved hangar floor. Thanks for any ideas or leads!

Bastoune

We had a 'glider spoon' at the old Enstone GC. It was used on an uneven surface to stack gliders in the quonset style hangar from the end. I built a couple locally, one for my self and another for the club as we had gravel floors. Most gliders were on dollies, which only moved in and out sideways.. The hangar floor and ramps were paved a few years ago, so now castering dollies are in use. A 'glider spoon' has two 10 or 12 inch wheels, a round ring with a dish or chains for the main wheel and a long handle. The glider is lifted and jockeyed with the handle. One person can lift a two-seater like a Grob-103 or an L-23. Indeed, the spoon has been used on a few occasions to rescue the two-seaters with flat main wheels from the runway and return them to the hangar for repair, sometimes a few hundred yards without too much effort. Haven't found a picture yet.

Frank Whiteley

Old December 17th 14, 10:35 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:51:26 AM UTC-5, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 6:15:14 AM UTC-8, Tango Eight wrote:

These guys could figure it out --

http://www.cynergyergonomics.com/tra...otorized-dolly

Cynergy, I like that. It sounds like the warm fuzzy intersection of cynicism and lethargy.

I can do both but can't decide which to do first.
UH
Closely related to "I'd be a procrastinator if I could just get around to it"
Old December 18th 14, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bastoune

All,
Thanks for the inputs.

Frank - If I picture what you are describing, the glider is rolled onto a dish that somehow holds the main wheel. There are two 10" wheels that are offset from the dish and connected to a handle. By applying pressure down on the handle, the dish is lifted (almost like a hand truck) and the glider becomes mobile. I assume that this contraption is all metal, correct? How long was the handle approximately? Thanks B.
Old December 18th 14, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

At 06:52 18 December 2014, Bastoune wrote:
All,
Thanks for the inputs.=20

=
the handle, the dish is lifted (almost like a hand truck) and the glider
be=
comes mobile. I assume that this contraption is all metal, correct? How
lon=
g was the handle approximately? Thanks B.

We used these for many years for hangar packing too. The whole thjng
was steel and the handles were around 12 feet. The main wheel sat in a
ring. There were many trailing edge dings to the wings over the years from

the handles so we switched to main wheel dollies.

John Galloway

Old December 18th 14, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 12:09 18 December 2014, John Galloway wrote:
[...]

I saw one of them when I was at Portmoak in September, can't remember
exactly where but probably around the original hangar.

LS7 Main Wheel / Landing Gear question Gianni Isotope Soaring 3 June 5th 13 05:05 PM
Wing wheel dolly ASM Soaring 0 November 16th 12 04:40 AM
ASW-24 Main Wheel Removal Lauren Rezac Soaring 5 March 19th 12 04:20 PM
Glider Main Wheel Dolly Jim[_18_] Soaring 0 March 9th 11 04:19 PM
main wheel dollies, plans? [email protected] Soaring 1 July 18th 07 06:55 AM