Soaring - Naples / Ft. Myers FL???

Old February 28th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Default Soaring - Naples / Ft. Myers FL???

I am hoping to spend most of next winter at our house in Naples. In
anticipation, I have been researching soaring opportunities in the area.

While there is a small commercial operation (Hi-Country Soaring) that is
trying to make a go of it at the Immokalee airport, they don't seem to be
particularly successful. A big problem, in my opinion, is their
un-appealing equipment; a single tired looking 2-33 that is tied up outside
on the ramp.

I took a brief look at the FAA pilot database, and it appears that there are
75 - 100 glider rated pilots whose permanent addresses is in the Naples /
Ft. Myers area. I suspect that there are many more glider pilots who are
seasonal residents and/or visit the area for 2 - 4 week vacations during the
winters. I would suspect that if we could get organized and get some half
decent equipment, there would be quite a bit of activity in the area.

I suspect that one of the bigger problems is a chicken / egg situation
regarding hanger availability. While there is lots of tiedown space for
trailers, and daily assembly of single place ships is something that we all
take for granted, 2 place gliders like an ASK-21 are a lot more hassle. My
gut instinct is that the availability of a decent 2 place glider is going to
be critical if a serious glider operation can take hold. This probably
won't happen unless there is hanger space available, so that such a glider
doesn't need daily assembly.

It appears that the Immokalee airport is currently moving ahead with a
taxiway extension project to permit them to build more hangers. This is the
golden opportunity for us to try to make provisions for glider hangers.
While it may be difficult to get people and/or the airport to specifically
fund the construction of glider specific hangers before a demand has been
demonstrated, it may be possible to get the airport to build some communal,
multipurpose hangers that could be used for glider storage along with other
aircraft as a 1st step to test the market.

I am going to be in Naples for a couple of weeks in March, and plan to talk
with the airport management to explore options. It would be very helpful to
get some feedback to see if anyone else is interested in such a project.

Are you game?

Mike Schumann

--
Mike Schumann

Old March 1st 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KO[_2_]

On Feb 28, 11:41 am, "Mike Schumann" mike-nos...@traditions-
nospam.com wrote:
[...]

With 2 glider operations shutting down in the last 5 year in Southern
Florida, there is need for another soaring site.

We used to fly at the Miami Glider Club, founded back in the sixties,
a club that had members of a long soaring history, however in August
2005, we lost our field to "progress" and our club was sadly disbanded
late that year and all equipment sold since there was no place to
rellocate.

Barry Soaring, based in North County Airport in Palm Beach County,
also shut down, leaving another group of pilots and students homeless.

We have flown out of Immokalee and now we understand that Belle Glade
has also an operation developing. However we were advised that there
was no hangar space available.

Some of us relocated to Homestead General Airport and others to
Seminole Lake Gliderport in Clermont, and in both cases those of us in
Broward and Palm Beach counties now face a long drive either way.

As you mentioned, one big limiting factor is lack of hangars in
Immokalee, but if the county is willing build more, this is the
opportunity to get one and seriously consider starting something
there.

So if there is a chance of getting a hangar, I do believe there will
be plenty of interest!

Please keep us posted of your meeting with the airport authorities.

Thanks in advance and very best regards
Enrique Mertins
KO

Naples FBO David Piloting 11 December 19th 04 09:05 AM
Soaring Club in Naples FL? Mike Schumann Soaring 5 September 13th 04 11:01 PM