fs9 uninstaller

Old December 12th 04, 06:11 PM
:\)

Default fs9 uninstaller

I recently decided to clean up my computer by uninstalling fs2004, getting
rid of any freeware add-ons I don't use but have installed, and then
reinstalling fs2004. The only catch is that one of the freeware planes I
installed overwrote the fs2004 uninstaller with its own. I checked out some
forums, and another person has had this problem: they fixed it using the
uninstaller on the cd. I've looked, but there is no trace of an uninstaller
on any of my fs2004 cds. I'm probably going blind or something, but if
anyone knows where the uninstaller on the cd is, could they reply to this
post.

thanks

Old December 12th 04, 11:20 PM
Quilljar

What is wrong with using the normal XP Control Panel /Add/remove software ?
--
Quilljar

Old December 13th 04, 09:28 AM
Quilljar

Brett, Are you saying then, that the Windows own uninstall software system
depends upon each program having its own uninstaller? Because that has not
been my experience.
Quilljar

Old December 14th 04, 02:10 AM
Grunt

It depends. HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVerson/Uninstall
contains keys that control the uninstall of programs. For FS9 it is
this:

D:\Games\Microsoft\Flight Simulator 9\UNINSTAL.EXE" /runtemp /addremove

Hence FS9 puts an uninstal.exe in it's own directory. The three MS
Combat sims also reference an uninstal in their home directory.

Sometimes other programs are used as in this case:

C:\WINDOWS\IsUninst.exe -f"C:\Program Files\CH Products\Control
Manager\Uninst.isu" -c"C:\Program Files\CH Products\Control

Still others use Rundll or msiExec.exe.

But all this is really immaterial. The original poster stated that he
tried to run the uninstall and it did not work. HIS theory was that
something overwrote the FS9 uninstall. What happened, I really don't
know nor does make any difference. When Add/Remove Programs or the
program's uninstall doesn't work then you have to do something else
such as remove the program's directory tree. If that doesn't work then
you
have to start working in the registry. I've had the Add/Remove
programs break more than once and refuse to uninstall - why I never did
find out. I just removed the program directory and reinstalled.

The original poster was at the point where Add/Remove didn't work so he
needed something else hence my recommendation that he remove (or move)
the directory. A new install will overwrite the registry entries and
put new files in the FS9 home directory.

Old December 14th 04, 09:51 AM
Quilljar

Thanks for that explanation, very useful.

Quilljar

Old December 18th 04, 03:55 PM
Grunt

You're welcome. I'm glad all those hours I spent writing installs for
programs can be put to good use G.