Help with laws, modifications vs accessories, Regarding Interior lighting.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 12th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
EridanMan

Default Help with laws, modifications vs accessories, Regarding Interior lighting.

Hey Guys,

I was at Walgreens today, and I saw some cheap interior lights for
cars (LEDs) which plug into a cigarette lighter and light up your
dash... The lights were the wrong color, but otherwise I was
intrigued.

It got me thinking about doing a similar thing to upgrade the pathetic
night-lighting of my panel.

My question is-

My Cherokee has the old panel, complete with the cosmetic plastic
overlay that goes on top. I could get a couple Dozen LED's and a
12-14vdc dimmer switch to control them for relatively cheap online.
It strikes me that it would be a relatively easy deal to then take the
plastic panel off, shave back the instrument holes a bit, and then
secure LED's behind the plastic so that they would illuminate the
gauges... I could do all of this and then just hook up the input power
to a standard cigarette lighter plug... Bingo - cheap, modern,
dimmable panel lighting.

Is this legal?

The general rule of thumb that I've heard is that if it screws down,
its not an accessory, and yes, the plastic cover does screw onto the
main panel... I could always change that to secure it with Velcro if
need-be (although I would prefer not too).

It seems like such a trivial mod, would I really need to go through a
337 hassle with it?

Thanks for all input
-Scott