Carbon fiber vs. antennas

Old December 31st 03, 11:57 PM
Jim Weir

Default Carbon fiber vs. antennas

Yes, I got results on the carbon fiber and I would have SWORN that I posted them
to this site.

Putting a GPS antenna UNDER a small bowl-shaped carbon fiber radome immediately
killed any GPS signal into a 27 dB gain active antenna INCLUDING satellites that
were directly overhead.

Figuring that the carbon was so lousy a transmissive path, I drilled a hole on
the top of the bowl and used the bowl as the groundplane. VIOLA. The GPS
antenna worked every bit as well on TOP of the carbon fiber as it did on a metal
ground plane of approximately the same size.

I can't say this is true for any other service than GPS (transponder, vhf nav &
com, etc.) but it did test well for GPS.

Jim

Richard Riley

-
-Did you ever get results on the carbon?

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old January 1st 04, 05:01 AM
Richard Riley

Jim, if I install a transponder pin with a carbon fiber ground plane,
inside a fiberglass fuselage, what equipment is needed to see how well
it's working? Or do I just fly around and ask ATC "Can you see me
now? Can you see me now?"

(actually, I've already installed it, but I'm not flying yet.)

:
[...]
:shared these priceless pearls of wisdom:
:
:-
:-Did you ever get results on the carbon?
:
:Jim Weir (A&P/IA, CFI, & other good alphabet soup)
:VP Eng RST Pres. Cyberchapter EAA Tech. Counselor
:http://www.rst-engr.com

Old January 1st 04, 07:04 PM

On 31-Dec-2003, Jim Weir wrote:

Putting a GPS antenna UNDER a small bowl-shaped carbon fiber radome
immediately
killed any GPS signal into a 27 dB gain active antenna INCLUDING
satellites that
were directly overhead.

Yes, carbon fiber is an excellent RF absorber, particularly at GPS
frequencies.

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old January 1st 04, 10:35 PM
B2431

Date: 1/1/2004 1:04 PM Central Standard Time

On 31-Dec-2003, Jim Weir wrote:

Putting a GPS antenna UNDER a small bowl-shaped carbon fiber radome
immediately
killed any GPS signal into a 27 dB gain active antenna INCLUDING
satellites that
were directly overhead.

Yes, carbon fiber is an excellent RF absorber, particularly at GPS
frequencies.

--
-Elliott Drucker

How about at radar frequencies? Does this mean a carbon aircraft are less
visible to radar?

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old January 2nd 04, 03:08 AM
Jim Weir

Had you noticed that the "stealth" aircraft were mostly black? Like as in made
out of carbon fibre?

Jim

Old January 2nd 04, 03:53 AM
Jim Weir

Orval Fairbairn

-Nope -- carbon fiber is a conductor and behaves similarly to metal --

Sorry, Orval, that just ain't so. I've done some preliminary work with carbon
fiber and at most frequencies below VHF it isn't a conductor and it isn't an
insulator. It is a great big resistor.

-especially if you have parts of .25 wavelength. Remember -- Edison's
-first light bulbs had graphite filaments.

Nope. Linen threads dipped in carbon black. Hardly graphite.

-
-Do not let carbon parts touch aluminum, as the aluminum will corrode
-from electrolytic action. A carbon fiber plane will act as a ground
-plane for antennae, too -- as long as you have good electrical contact
-with the fibers.

That isn't so. Please don't spread misinformation unless you've DONE the tests
and can publish your test results.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old January 2nd 04, 01:40 PM
Tom Sixkiller

Pardon?

Tom

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
Would you mind keeping your gratuitous comments on the obvious to

yourself?

Jim

-Yes, carbon fiber is an excellent RF absorber, particularly at GPS
-frequencies.

http://www.rst-engr.com

Choice of Paint for use over Copper foil Antennas Charlie Precourt Home Built 1 December 2nd 03 02:51 AM
Carbon Spar design and construction workshop Marske Flying Wings Home Built 0 September 18th 03 05:47 PM
Hidden Antennas Dick Goff Home Built 2 August 20th 03 05:23 PM
Foil antenna and carbon fiber BD5ER Home Built 11 August 6th 03 04:44 AM
carbon dragon Philippe Vessaire Home Built 1 July 28th 03 03:16 PM