Sky writing

Old July 14th 04, 01:31 AM

Default Sky writing

How do I generate smoke "sky writing" from a SEL airplane and is it legal?

Cliff

Old July 14th 04, 03:35 AM
Robert M. Miller

You would be amazed at the sheer lack of information available on this
topic, Cliff. :-]

As far as I know, there are no regulations against skywriting (I checked the
FAR/SFAR with no mention of the subject), obviously following the guidelines
about safe operation distances from populated areas. Here in South Bend,
Indiana, we have a cat locally who owns a 300 with a smoke device. I've
never seen any skywriting done with it, however, but I don't think it has
anything to do with rules against it.

Also, it seems important to note that skywriting seems to be a "dying" art.
You just don't see much of it at all these days. I'm really hoping by
bumping this thread a bit someone with a little bit more knowledge on the
matter will speak up for you.

--
Robert M. Miller )

Old July 14th 04, 03:43 AM
Edward Todd

In article d_0Jc.85385$Oq2.63545@attbi_s52,
"Robert M. Miller" wrote:

Also, it seems important to note that skywriting seems to be a "dying" art.

Most likely due to its high visibility to those who would question it.

One group would protest it as destroying the sky's natural beauty, and
another grouyp would say your company needs to pay for an environmental
impact study to acertain the effects of the burned oil on the ozone
layer, fowl life, etc.

Oh, and another who would protest the noise factor since you would have
to remain over a small area for a time.

And one more, who upon seeing you, would think you were a terrorist and
the smoke was some kind of nerve gas.

Edward
Old July 14th 04, 03:47 AM
Edward Todd

"Robert M. Miller" wrote:

Also, it seems important to note that skywriting seems to be a "dying" art.

check this page:

http://www.sky-writing.com/
Old July 14th 04, 03:51 AM
G. Burkhart

"Robert M. Miller" wrote:

Also, it seems important to note that skywriting seems to be a "dying"

art.

Most likely due to its high visibility to those who would question it.

And make sure your spelling is good. Everybody can see your mstaikes... ;-)

Old July 14th 04, 04:22 AM
Ditch

And make sure your spelling is good. Everybody can see your mstaikes... ;-)

It's actually quite amusing when you see a spelling error.
As to the equipment, there are several smoke systems avialable...you can check
out Aircraft Spruce and Specialty (http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/) for
starters.
It generally runs off of a lightweight oil that is injected into your exhaust.
As for any other requirement, you will probably need a 337 for the airplane
once the system is installed.
Once that is done, just click it on and let it billow away.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old July 14th 04, 12:15 PM
NW_PILOT

you may want to look in to aerobatic aircraft supply I think most aerobatic
aircraft trail some sort of smoke for judges to see.

Old July 14th 04, 01:04 PM
Viperdoc

In competitions aerobatic planes do not use smoke- it is generally used for
airshows only. Even though I don't do airshows, I have it installed on my
Extra.

Another handy use is to help other pilots find you in the pattern. It
obviously makes the plane much more visible and easy to find.

A smoke system includes a tank, pump, and orifice in the exhaust manifold.
This system allows the smoke oil to get vaporized. Smoke oil is generally
low viscosity, and makes a slimy mess on the belly of the plane as well as
the hangar floor. It is also expensive, and puts out around a gallon a
minute in my plane.

The EAA magazine will list several smoke systems for aerobatic aircraft,
while the oil itself can be purchased from a local oil distributor.

Old July 14th 04, 02:32 PM
Jim Fisher

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
A smoke system includes a tank, pump, and orifice in the exhaust manifold.
This system allows the smoke oil to get vaporized.

So is the oil is injected directly into the manifold through this orifice or
is there some more complicated, separate mechanism for heating up the oil?

--
Jim Fisher

Old July 14th 04, 02:43 PM
MLenoch

So is the oil is injected directly into the manifold through this orifice or
is there some more complicated, separate mechanism for heating up the oil?

It is injected directly. You have to experiemnt a bit to find the sweet
spot....not too hot and not too cold.... where the oil will completely vaporize
and not burn. Plus the right size orifice is needed and this varies with each
airplane installation.
VL
(Mopar electric fuel pumps were great smoke oil pumps......cheap and usually
reliable)