spaceship one

Old June 25th 04, 05:41 AM
anonymous coward

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 03:41:16 +0000, Ron Wanttaja wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 01:03:41 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

Hey Ron, help me out some more here on
rec.aviation.homebuilt.spacecraft.

For the reentry phase from orbit...
For the sake of argument (and ignoring the increased fuel required)
wouldn't slowing down too much before reentry be a problem?

Steeper path, higher G load, and even more reentry heat?

Like I said on an earlier post, I don't have much background on re-entry
physics. But I think it's possible to deorbit going slowly at a fairly
shallow angle...you just have to time the deorbit burn properly.

But one thing you can't do is "slow fly" a satellite. For any given speed,
for any given velocity vector, there is only one possible orbit. Sure, you
can probably increase your angle of attack and do a "skip", but that just
means that on the other side of the world, you're going to come down at a
much steeper angle. Kinda like bouncing a landing without the ability to
add a burst of power to catch the bounce.

I'm having one of those moments...

I had always wondered why you couldn't dolphin in and out of the earth's
atmosphere, cooling down in between hops.

AC
Old June 25th 04, 06:18 AM
Anthony

"pacplyer" wrote in message

Naa. These people are colonizing space in a much more efficient
manner than the government ever could. For the first time manned space
is going to be commercially viable. I would think "Colonaut" would
be a much better name for them.

Cheers "aye"

pacplyer

I think we saw the last possibility of space colonization for the next
century when project Orion was canceled. Someday some one will make it
cheap enough but for now it's something to dream about.

Tony

Old June 25th 04, 07:25 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 05:41:36 +0100, anonymous coward
wrote:

But one thing you can't do is "slow fly" a satellite. For any given speed,
for any given velocity vector, there is only one possible orbit. Sure, you
can probably increase your angle of attack and do a "skip", but that just
means that on the other side of the world, you're going to come down at a
much steeper angle. Kinda like bouncing a landing without the ability to
add a burst of power to catch the bounce.

I'm having one of those moments...

I had always wondered why you couldn't dolphin in and out of the earth's
atmosphere, cooling down in between hops.

I think you'd re-enter at steeper and steeper angles each time, since you
lose velocity at each encounter with the atmosphere. I suspect, at some
point, you can't "pull out" and may break up due to the overly steep
re-entry.

Just a guess, mind you.

Ron Wanttaja
Old June 25th 04, 12:14 PM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , pacplyer says...

Yes, I believe you are correct Rich. Was listening to the 104.9 disk
jockey that was claiming this was the ten million dollar x-prize
attempt. But I believe you are correct on the plan. But if I was
Burt: I would have stuck in a couple of sand-filled mannequins and
claimed this was attempt #1 since it is so dangerous.

pac

If he did that he probably would not have made the altitude required. They
barely made it as it was due to a minor mechanical glitch.This flight proved the
systems and what adjustments must be made. JMHO

See ya

Chuck

Old June 25th 04, 02:37 PM
Doc Font

In article ,
Dillon Pyron wrote:

The original design of the shuttle was a lifting
body, until they proved to be a bitch to fly.

So is it feasable at this time considering the advancements in computer
controls? Like the F-117 or F-16 are unstable without their computer
systems but they work because the computer constantly adjusts the
flight. Could they build an easy to fly lifting body now?

Bernadette
Old June 25th 04, 03:26 PM
Dillon Pyron

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:37:12 -0400, Doc Font
wrote:

In article ,
Dillon Pyron wrote:

The original design of the shuttle was a lifting
body, until they proved to be a bitch to fly.

So is it feasable at this time considering the advancements in computer
controls? Like the F-117 or F-16 are unstable without their computer
systems but they work because the computer constantly adjusts the
flight. Could they build an easy to fly lifting body now?

Bernadette

I would guess so (and was thinking the same thing when I made my
post). That said, there's little drive to do such a thing. Even
though I think it would be much safer than the current design for the
ISC "lifeboat".
--
dillon

When I was a kid, I thought the angel's name was Hark
and the horse's name was Bob.