Towing trailer and glider with a honda civic

Old March 2nd 18, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default Towing trailer and glider with a honda civic

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 8:32:39 AM UTC-8, Paul Agnew wrote:
I'm towing my Schreder trailer with a 2004 Prius with 277k miles on it. MPG drops to 28-29, but it tows fine. The Schreder is much lighter than the wood/fiberglass box I was pulling.

The plan is to add electric or surge brakes soon. Plus, it probably will feel a little different when I actually put my glider in it. ;-) (Soon...very soon...still working on fittings.)

Paul A.

Electric brakes good.

Surge brakes bad.

Old March 2nd 18, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 9:36:00 AM UTC-8, sisu1a wrote:
On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 8:32:39 AM UTC-8, Paul Agnew wrote:
I'm towing my Schreder trailer with a 2004 Prius with 277k miles on it. MPG drops to 28-29, but it tows fine. The Schreder is much lighter than the wood/fiberglass box I was pulling.

The plan is to add electric or surge brakes soon. Plus, it probably will feel a little different when I actually put my glider in it. ;-) (Soon...very soon...still working on fittings.)

Paul A.

Electric brakes good.

Surge brakes bad.

Again?
The term "********" comes to mind.
Jim
Old March 2nd 18, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Not maintaining the tongue center tube on surge brakes, a little worse.
No brakes on the trailer, really bad.
Old March 3rd 18, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I would not recommend assuming that a manufacturer "assumes".Â* When in
doubt, ask the manufacturer.Â* My experience in the auto industry,
involved with manufacturer's engineering specifications, indicates that
they have very stringent specs.Â* Give 'em a call.

On 3/2/2018 9:00 AM, 2G wrote:
On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 7:54:13 AM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
Now that OP has made his decision, I'll drift the thread with this towing tidbit...

I looked into towing with a hybrid. There is an issue with overheating of the electric motors on long grades. The 'recommended tow weights' are much lower for the hybrid version of the same model vehicle. I'd guess that part of the issue is that the same motors are used for 'regenerative braking' on the downgrades, so they don't get a chance to cool off.

Remember that manufacturer recommended towing limits are assuming a shorter wheelbase utility type trailer, not a long wheelbase glider trailer. Weight is not the only issue to consider. And they probably also assume short, local trips, not long-distance trips.

Tom

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 3rd 18, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

bol·locks
ˈbäləks/
BRITISHvulgar slang
/noun/

1.
*1*.
the testicles.
2.
*2*.
used to express contempt, annoyance, or defiance.

Which is it?

Old March 3rd 18, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

While I "typically agree", OEM limits are sometimes based more on "local sales laws" or "how likely do we think we will get sued?".

What may be fine in parts of the planet are banned in other parts of the planet, even if the basic hardware is the same.

As to the original question, well yes, this combination may be fine, but margins can be rather slim compared to other cars.

I have towed from a worn out '70's super beetle (with a huge plywood and steel trailer and a ASW-15 in it) to a mid sized motor home with a newer trailer and 15m ship.

Vehicle weight, the more the better.
Vehicle wheelbase, the more the better.
Trailer weight, the lower the better.
Tongue weight, small range of "OK".
Aero can make a difference, use the same trailer but on 2 similar vehicles but with different aero, some are great and some leave the trailer dancing at speed.

Road speed, hills, crosswinds and truck traffic can all make a difference.

Small cars with a AT and a heavy trailer, be mindful of trans fluid temps. Manual trans is a bit easier, all other things being the same.

When in doubt, slow the Frik down. If you lose it, damage is lessened, both the tow vehicle and the trailer.
Trailer damage is like aircraft damage, if you don't hurt it, you likely don't hurt peeps.
Old March 3rd 18, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On 3/2/2018 11:26 AM, JS wrote:

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 9:36:00 AM UTC-8, sisu1a wrote:

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 8:32:39 AM UTC-8, Paul Agnew wrote:

I'm towing my Schreder trailer with a 2004 Prius with 277k miles on it. MPG drops to 28-29, but it tows fine. The Schreder is much lighter than the wood/fiberglass box I was pulling.

The plan is to add electric or surge brakes soon. Plus, it probably will feel a little different when I actually put my glider in it. ;-) (Soon...very soon...still working on fittings.)

Paul A.

Electric brakes good.

Surge brakes bad.

Again?
The term "********" comes to mind.
Jim

--

Dan, 5J

Actually neither of those.
The definition should include "Rubbish".
Jim
Old March 3rd 18, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Sherrill

In 2017 the hybrid Toyota Rav4 had a higher tow capacity.
Slightly. The ordinary Rav4 was rated 1500 lbs; the hybrid 1750.

Those are USA ratings. Meanwhile, Toyota's UK web site claimed 3000 lbs for the ordinary Rav4.

...david

Old March 3rd 18, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 9:25:31 AM UTC-7, David Sherrill wrote:
In 2017 the hybrid Toyota Rav4 had a higher tow capacity.
Slightly. The ordinary Rav4 was rated 1500 lbs; the hybrid 1750.

Those are USA ratings. Meanwhile, Toyota's UK web site claimed 3000 lbs for the ordinary Rav4.

...david

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 10:54:13 AM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
Now that OP has made his decision, I'll drift the thread with this towing tidbit...

I looked into towing with a hybrid. There is an issue with overheating of the electric motors on long grades. The 'recommended tow weights' are much lower for the hybrid version of the same model vehicle. I'd guess that part of the issue is that the same motors are used for 'regenerative braking' on the downgrades, so they don't get a chance to cool off.

From a Toyota web site:

"An upgrade to the all-new 2018 Toyota RAV4 Adventure trim level will improve the available towing capacity of the Toyota compact crossover. Fitted with a standard Tow Prep Package, the RAV4 Adventure adds an upgraded radiator, a heavy-duty engine oil cooler and upgraded transmission fluid coolers to improve towing. With the tow hitch receiver and wiring harness, the front-wheel drive Toyota RAV4 Adventure will tow an impressive 2,900 pounds. When you add Dynamic Torque Control AWD to the equation, the RAV4 Adventure will tow 3,500 pounds – 2,000 pounds more than standard models."

Maybe engine/transmission cooling isn't such a problem in the UK, like it is here in Arizona?

Mike
Old March 3rd 18, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 10:44:41 AM UTC-7, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 9:25:31 AM UTC-7, David Sherrill wrote:
In 2017 the hybrid Toyota Rav4 had a higher tow capacity.
Slightly. The ordinary Rav4 was rated 1500 lbs; the hybrid 1750.

Those are USA ratings. Meanwhile, Toyota's UK web site claimed 3000 lbs for the ordinary Rav4.

...david

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 10:54:13 AM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
Now that OP has made his decision, I'll drift the thread with this towing tidbit...

I looked into towing with a hybrid. There is an issue with overheating of the electric motors on long grades. The 'recommended tow weights' are much lower for the hybrid version of the same model vehicle. I'd guess that part of the issue is that the same motors are used for 'regenerative braking' on the downgrades, so they don't get a chance to cool off.

From a Toyota web site:

"An upgrade to the all-new 2018 Toyota RAV4 Adventure trim level will improve the available towing capacity of the Toyota compact crossover. Fitted with a standard Tow Prep Package, the RAV4 Adventure adds an upgraded radiator, a heavy-duty engine oil cooler and upgraded transmission fluid coolers to improve towing. With the tow hitch receiver and wiring harness, the front-wheel drive Toyota RAV4 Adventure will tow an impressive 2,900 pounds. When you add Dynamic Torque Control AWD to the equation, the RAV4 Adventure will tow 3,500 pounds – 2,000 pounds more than standard models."

Maybe engine/transmission cooling isn't such a problem in the UK, like it is here in Arizona?

Mike

....and from Toyota UK:

"Both front- and four-wheel drive RAV4 Hybrid models have a legal towing capacity of 750kg for unbraked trailers. With regards to braked trailers (where the trailer has its own braking system), the front-wheel drive RAV4 Hybrid has a recommended towing capacity of 800kg and the four-wheel drive RAV4 Hybrid has a recommended towing capacity of 1,650kg."

Towing capacity depends very much on model and model year - an earlier diesel RAV4 had a stated towing capacity of 2,000 kg.

Mike

Towing a single place glider trailer with a Ford Ranger or Chevy S-10 [email protected] Soaring 18 May 3rd 09 11:31 PM
Glider towing with 08 Honda CR-V? Tuno Soaring 12 October 18th 08 07:35 PM
Motorhome towing a glider trailer tmlkbr Soaring 11 May 14th 08 06:44 AM
Trailer towing safety CH Soaring 9 August 13th 03 05:45 PM
Glider trailer towing Jeff Landfield Soaring 0 July 21st 03 04:25 AM