Lost comms after radar vector

Old January 23rd 04, 05:28 PM
John R Weiss

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote...

So, again, what am I taking out of context? If you're not saying you'd
navigate to the clearance limit and hold over a navaid-free field using only
dead-reckoning then what are you saying?

I am saying, again, that you plot the fix, set the appropriate radials from
nearby navaids into your nav equipment, and fly to the intersection that defines
the fix.

I know how to find the field, that's not the question. The question is how
do I navigate from SUDDS direct to MKE and hold there?

Option 1: Find the bearing/distance from BAE and HRK to MKE, using your
Airport/Facility Directory.

Option 2: Plot (on your IFR chart or Sectional) the BAE and HRK radials that
extend overhead MKE.

Plot the course and distance from SUDDS to your fix over MKE.

Set the appropriate radials in your CDI/HSI.

Fly to the intersection.

Hold at that intersection as previously described.

Old January 23rd 04, 07:36 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John R Weiss" wrote in message

True. However, a fix over an airport CAN be determined.

It can't be determined by dead reckoning.

At MKE, that could be an intersection of 2 VOR radials -- BAE and HRK.

Please explain how you'd hold at MKE on the inbound course from SUDDS to MKE
using radials from BAE and HRK.

There are also several NDBs in the area.

Please explain how you'd hold at MKE on the inbound course from SUDDS to MKE
using NDBs in the area.

Cross-checks can be made in some situations via LOC and Marker Beacons.

Please explain how you'd hold at MKE on the inbound course from SUDDS to MKE
using LOC and Marker Beacons.

Old January 23rd 04, 07:39 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

I am saying, again, that you plot the fix, set the appropriate radials

from
nearby navaids into your nav equipment, and fly to the intersection that

defines
the fix.

So you've changed your mind about doing it by dead reckoning?

Old January 23rd 04, 08:00 PM
John R Weiss

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote...

So you've changed your mind about doing it by dead reckoning?

Nope. I never said I would do it by dead reckoning.

Old January 23rd 04, 08:00 PM
John R Weiss

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote...

At MKE, that could be an intersection of 2 VOR radials -- BAE and HRK.

Please explain how you'd hold at MKE on the inbound course from SUDDS to MKE
using radials from BAE and HRK.

Already did. What part didn't you understand?

Old January 24th 04, 03:10 AM
Randy at Home

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

| "Ron Natalie" wrote in message
| m...
|
| If there's a tower, don't forget to look for the light.
|

| What will you do if there's no light?

If you're in IMC, a light is going to be a bit hard to see anyway (assuming
the tower knows where to point it). If you can see the light far enough in
advance to be meaningful, wouldn't you be in VMC - or close enough to it for
government work?

Old January 24th 04, 03:15 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Randy at Home" wrote in
message able.rogers.com...

If you're in IMC, a light is going to be a bit hard to see anyway

(assuming
the tower knows where to point it).

It may be a bit hard to see the runway as well. But what will you do if you
don't see a light?

If you can see the light far enough in advance to be meaningful,
wouldn't you be in VMC - or close enough to it for government work?

Not necessarily. But what will you do if you don't see a light?

Old January 24th 04, 03:53 AM
Roy Smith

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

It may be a bit hard to see the runway as well. But what will you do if you
don't see a light?

After shooting a NORDO approach in IMC, the only lights I'm looking for
are the approach lights and the runway lights. And maybe the one on the
back of the jeep illuminating the "Follow Me" sign.

If the guy in the tower wants to get his jollies shining a green light
at me, that's his problem, not mine.
Old January 24th 04, 03:59 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

After shooting a NORDO approach in IMC, the only lights I'm looking for
are the approach lights and the runway lights. And maybe the one on the
back of the jeep illuminating the "Follow Me" sign.

If the guy in the tower wants to get his jollies shining a green light
at me, that's his problem, not mine.

Easy, big fella. I'm not the one that said, "If there's a tower, don't
forget to look for the light." That was Ron Natalie. I wouldn't look for
landing clearance either. I was just curious what he would do if he saw no
light.

Old January 24th 04, 04:22 AM
John R Weiss

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote...

I wouldn't look for
landing clearance either. I was just curious what he would do if he saw no
light.

I'd be looking for red lights... Green ones are good; but no lights means
everyone's asleep, gone home, or not concerned. Red ones mean trouble...