Braking in new breaks

Old June 29th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

Default Braking in new breaks

I just installed new break pads and am wondering if there is a procedure to
brake them in?

Best,
Karl

Old June 29th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "karl gruber" said:
I just installed new break pads and am wondering if there is a procedure to
brake them in?

You've heard of a V1 cut? :-)

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
You can lead an idiot to knowledge but you cannot make him think. You can,
Old June 29th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "karl gruber" said:
I just installed new break pads and am wondering if there is a procedure
brake them in?

You've heard of a V1 cut? :-)

They sure are fun in the sim!

KG

Old June 29th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"karl gruber" wrote:

I just installed new break pads and am wondering if there is a procedure to
brake them in?

Best,
Karl

Just petal the rudder peddles. You might find that somebody pedaled you
the wrong set! ;)
Old June 29th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

"karl gruber" writes:

I just installed new break pads and am wondering if there is a procedure to
brake them in?

As opposed to installing new brake pads and breaking them in, I suppose...
--
A host is a host from coast to

Old June 30th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 17:13:38 -0700, "karl gruber"
wrote:

I just installed new break pads and am wondering if there is a procedure to
brake them in?

Best,
Karl

There are different methods of breaking in brake pads, depending on the
type of pad.
--ron
Old June 30th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger (K8RI)

wrote:

I just installed new break pads and am wondering if there is a procedure to
brake them in?

I just put 'em on and use 'em. Never had any problems yet.

They're broke in by the time I get to the end of the taxiway.

Best,
Karl

Old July 2nd 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger (K8RI)

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 07:49:26 -0500, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

Both Rapco and Kelly Aerospace have break-in procedures on their websites.

If they are hydraulically operated disk brakes what reason could there
be for a break in? Even highly polished disks will roughen within a
day or two from moisture in the air and the pads should seat fully on
the disks with no special effort even if the disks are grooved.

Old July 2nd 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_2_]

The purpose is to wear off any high spots and create a light glaze on the
pads which will remain with normal use. Lack of proper glazing will wear
the pads pre-maturely.

http://www.parker.com/ag/wbd/cleveland/pdf/Wbtech.PDF has procedures for
both metallic and organic pads. Rapco's procedure is below.

Jim

Rapco, Inc:
Our normal break-in procedure for brake discs using the Rapco, Inc. RA164-
discs, is to get the friction material
hot (Approx. 850 Deg. F.) by performing the following:

a.. Use proper maintenance techniques by insuring that the friction
material is completely clean and dry of all
solvents and hydraulic fluid
b.. Perform a moderate-speed taxi (10-15Kts ground speed), insuring that
you have proper braking
(There will be very little brake action at first).
c.. Allow the brake to cool by taxiing across the airport or down field,
without using brakes. If you are not
going to fly the aircraft during the break-in procedure, then allow the
brakes to cool
for 45 min. until the next high-speed taxi stop.
d.. Once you've established positive brake action, you can proceed to a
full-stop landing using significant braking.
(Short field landing procedure). At this time the pilot should notice the
brakes starting to grab more.
If this is sufficient braking action, there is no need for another stop
cycle.
e.. Perform another short field landing, leaving the landing gear extended
throughout the landing pattern.
This allows the brakes to cool properly before the next heat cycle. After
this landing you should have
significant brake action
Paker: