Patrick Smith admits small planes are unpleasant

Old July 30th 10, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Patrick Smith admits small planes are unpleasant

Dudley Henriques writes:

If I recall correctly I believe you favor flying other types of
airplanes in the sim, but if you ever do decide to purchase a WW2 prop
fighter for your simulator I'll be glad to help you out with tips on
flying it.

Thanks. I've seen some videos on the A2A model on YouTube, and it looks very
daunting. I'm not good at managing engine parameters even in simpler aircraft.
But it might still be fun. I imagine it would be a change of pace for
controllers, too.
Old July 30th 10, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jim Logajan writes:

None of the one I know of are "building time." Two more local CFIs, who I
expect to eventually meet, Paul and Jess, have been teaching for about 20
years, each. If they have plans for airline work they seem to be mighty
slow about it.

I hope that is the norm rather than the exception. I wouldn't want to learn
from a CFI who had not made a career of instruction.

The author makes the mistake of assuming everyone else shares his values
and preferences.

Lots of people make that mistake, as he points out himself in reference to
other pilots.
Old July 30th 10, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:

How many flight instructors like their job? How many are just impatiently
trying to build hours so that they can work as airline pilots one day?

From observation of what goes on at the local GA airports, which you should
try sometimes instead of just pulling stuff out of your ass, instructors
are about evenly divided between young guys looking to build time and older
guys who just like aviation.

And then there is the few middle aged guys who have a day job and instruct
on weekends and evenings because they like aviation.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old July 30th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_26_]

Dudley Henriques wrote:

On Jul 29, 5:16*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
george writes:
The main reason is you don't have the ability..

The main reasons are a lack of money and health, but there are other
reasons as well. With respect to this particular article, small
aircraft tend to be noisy, bumpy, and uncomfortable, and a PPL has
little else to look forwards to unless he has unlimited funds and
time. Like Patrick Smith, I don't enjoy being distracted by heat,
noise, etc. I'm glad to see pilots admitting the same.

Hell old buddy, if you think small airplanes are noisy you should
experience a takeoff in a P51. Now THAT'S noise!!
:-))

It's another fuel-to-noise converter. Heh.
Old July 30th 10, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Jul 30, 11:18*am, wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:

How many flight instructors like their job? How many are just impatiently
trying to build hours so that they can work as airline pilots one day?

From observation of what goes on at the local GA airports, which you should
try sometimes instead of just pulling stuff out of your ass, instructors
are about evenly divided between young guys looking to build time and older
guys who just like aviation.

And then there is the few middle aged guys who have a day job and instruct
on weekends and evenings because they like aviation.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

The CFII we like is ex USAF, now flies for a major carrier, and enjoys
instructing. Could not ask for better (although he is the first CFII I
ever knew who insisted I wear a parachute for unusual attitude
recovery practice in his personal airplane (it was NOT an M20J!).

Old July 31st 10, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja[_2_]

There are many sports that are physically uncomfortable. The reward has
to exceed the discomfort. Heck, I fly an open-cockpit airplane on days
below freezing, and I certainly don't have to.....

Ron Wanttaja
Old July 31st 10, 10:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Ron Wanttaja writes:

There are many sports that are physically uncomfortable. The reward has
to exceed the discomfort. Heck, I fly an open-cockpit airplane on days
below freezing, and I certainly don't have to.....

So what part of flying that aircraft compensates for sub-freezing
temperatures?
Old July 31st 10, 10:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Stephen! writes:

So? What's that prove?

Either airline pilots are idiots, or he's not an idiot. Which is it?
Old July 31st 10, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
Ron Wanttaja writes:

There are many sports that are physically uncomfortable. The reward has
to exceed the discomfort. Heck, I fly an open-cockpit airplane on days
below freezing, and I certainly don't have to.....

So what part of flying that aircraft compensates for sub-freezing
temperatures?

Well, you have to understand the distinction between flying for fun and
flying for transportation. I fly for fun. I like watching the sky,
sea, and land from the great visibility an open cockpit provides. IMHO,
closed cabins isolate you from truly experiencing what it's like to fly.
They're like eating a gourmet meal with your tongue wrapped in plastic.

Ernie Gann called it, "The Island in the Sky." But open-cockpit pilots
are awash in that ocean of air, not sunning themselves on the beach.

Sure, if I owned an airplane for transportation, it'd be something else.
Closed cabin to minimize the noise and maintain a comfortable
environment, rather than the breeze on my cheek and a silk scarf wrapped
around my neck. GPS-coupled autopilot, rather than a sectional crammed
under one butt cheek. Air bags and BRS to give the passengers the best
chance of survival if things go wrong, rather than a single-seater with
only my neck involved.

In the past thirty years, I've owned closed-cabin planes for three
years...and open-cockpit ones for about twenty.

Ron Wanttaja
Old July 31st 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
Stephen! writes:

So? What's that prove?

Either airline pilots are idiots, or he's not an idiot. Which is it?

Or maybe there is one airline pilots that is an idiot?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.