New Law Rumor?

Old September 13th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default New Law Rumor?

Flight schools will be required to have a background check in addition
to all the other nonsense?
Anyone else heard this?

Old September 13th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
oups.com...
Flight schools will be required to have a background check in addition
to all the other nonsense?
Anyone else heard this?

I haven't heard of anything nationally. I think I heard something about
something like that in NY State?

Check AOPA's legislative action information on their web site...there might
be something there.

Old September 13th 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gAiL

Flight schools will be required to have a background check in addition
to all the other nonsense?

I understand it is currently being debated in the German government for
possible implementation to their air traffic policy. I'm not sure though,
how this integrates with EASA or Eurocontrol.

Gail

Old September 13th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

I am told that New York State is attempting this... Regardless of what
state it is we, and AOPA, and EAA, and the Cessna Pilots Association,
etc., need to be proactive, not reactive... What we need to do is
attack, not flinch and run around whimpering...
What I propose is that GA begins to campaign that unfit drivers cause
40,000+ deaths a year... That the first thing an illegal alien does
upon entering the country is get a drivers license... That all or most
of the 9/11 terrorists had a drivers license...
We need to DEMAND that all drivers have a federal background check to
get an initial license or at the next license renewal if the check has
not been previously performed, and a triennial medical comparable to a
3rd class flight physical to have and to keep a drivers license... We
need to insist that the medically impaired be banned from driving... We
need to demand that a DUI conviction result in loss of license for ten
years for the first offense and permanently for the second offense...
If taking an antidepressent is disabling for a Pilots certificate then
it is disabling for a drivers license...If insulin dependent diabetes,
or taking nitrates for a heart condition - you get the point... Also,
older drivers should have to have an annual physical...
The point here is tto stir up the public and put the heat to the
elected politicians... The reason these grand standing political hacks
can get away with demanding draconian measures against pilots is that
we are a minority... The majority of the public doesn't feel threatened
so they don't care if we get shafted...We have to make them care... If
the majority becomes alarmed and angry then the politicians are going
to flinch away from attacking us because the majority will be against
stiffer standards for anyone, fearing they will be next...

Look, women did not get the right to vote by sitting home and
whimpering, they took to the streets... Blacks did not get their
constitutional rights recognized by being servile and docile, they took
to the streets... Nixon did not end the Vietnam war because he wanted
to, he was facing growing public protests by students, hippies, Cassius
Clay, etc., and the majority of the public was getting restless over
the unrest... Politicians absolutely fear the public payiing attention
to what they are doing... They want the public hypnotized by reruns of
Threes Company... Anything that brings the public out of their stupor
puts the the fear of gawd into an elected politician... We need to stir
up the public...

denny

Old September 13th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
Flight schools will be required to have a background check in addition
to all the other nonsense?
Anyone else heard this?

Although irrelevant to this thread, I might add that when I recently
made inquiries about a PPL course here in Dubai, I was told (apart from
the $8,200 fee) that I'd require "security clearance"... guess what
that means?

Ramapriya

Old September 16th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
Flight schools will be required to have a background check in addition
to all the other nonsense?
Anyone else heard this?

Yes Idiot Pataki just signed that piece of legislation. It applies to
flight schools. My flying club is not a flight school, so I am in the
clear. Most FBO's are probably not flight schools, unless they are part
141. There was a similar law in Michigan. It was struck down as
unconstitutional as Aviation is covered by Federal Law. It is all
politicans logic. "I know nothing about this, but something must be
done, this is something, therefore we must do this."

Good on your New York state legislature, and Pataki. Elections are
happening soon. Thankkfully Pataki is not running.
Old September 16th 06, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

He may not be returning, but the problem with these demigogue, empty
headed, professional politicians is that they leave their droppings
behind them as laws...

denny

Old September 16th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Ol Shy & Bashful writes:

Flight schools will be required to have a background check in addition
to all the other nonsense?

In the current climate of hysteria, nothing about this surprises me.

Old September 16th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Denny writes:

What I propose is that GA begins to campaign that unfit drivers cause
40,000+ deaths a year... That the first thing an illegal alien does
upon entering the country is get a drivers license... That all or most
of the 9/11 terrorists had a drivers license...

A public campaign might seriously backfire.

Most people are not pilots. If you develop a campaign about general
aviation--any kind of campaign--it brings GA into public awareness.
But the public awareness will amount simply to the (correct) belief
that GA is important only to a very small number of private pilots,
and the perception that the risk of terrorism (which is very small in
reality, but is believed to be very great in most people's minds)
outweighs the rights of anyone to fly a plane.

Thus, just making the public aware of a problem may result in public
endorsement of severe restrictions on GA, or even the elimination of
non-commercial, non-"essential" aviation entirely.

So be careful what you wish for. You can make people aware of a
problem, but you cannot guarantee that they'll take your side once
they know about it.

We need to DEMAND that all drivers have a federal background check to
get an initial license or at the next license renewal if the check has
not been previously performed, and a triennial medical comparable to a
3rd class flight physical to have and to keep a drivers license... We
need to insist that the medically impaired be banned from driving... We
need to demand that a DUI conviction result in loss of license for ten
years for the first offense and permanently for the second offense...
If taking an antidepressent is disabling for a Pilots certificate then
it is disabling for a drivers license...If insulin dependent diabetes,
or taking nitrates for a heart condition - you get the point... Also,
older drivers should have to have an annual physical...

That won't work. Nobody is worried about aircraft crashing due to
pilot error. They are worried that there are terrorists under every
rock, and that these terrorists all want to learn to fly planes so
that they can fly them into buildings.

Furthermore, most people see no reason at all to learn to fly _except_
for purposes of a career or terrorism. They will not be sympathetic
to the concerns of those who want to fly "for fun," as they will see
that as bizarre and elitist.

The point here is tto stir up the public and put the heat to the
elected politicians... The reason these grand standing political hacks
can get away with demanding draconian measures against pilots is that
we are a minority... The majority of the public doesn't feel threatened
so they don't care if we get shafted...We have to make them care...

There's your mistake: They aren't going to care just because you
publicize the issue. They may simply take sides with the demagogues
and insist that GA be curtailed or eliminated.

If the majority becomes alarmed and angry then the politicians are going
to flinch away from attacking us because the majority will be against
stiffer standards for anyone, fearing they will be next...

That won't happen. The average person doesn't identify with private
pilots at all. Anyone who wants to fly a plane is weird and suspect.

Look, women did not get the right to vote by sitting home and
whimpering, they took to the streets... Blacks did not get their
constitutional rights recognized by being servile and docile, they took
to the streets...

But they aroused the interest of large minorities (or even a majority,
in the case of women) who were personally affected by the issues.
That's not the case for aviation.

We need to stir up the public...

You cannot be sure what will start to cook if you stir things up.

Old September 16th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

James writes:

Good on your New York state legislature, and Pataki. Elections are
happening soon. Thankkfully Pataki is not running.

The laws he signed will remain after he is gone.

Texas Parasol Plans... Richard Lamb Home Built 82 March 12th 06 07:19 AM
From the rumor mill via Cardinal Flyers Online Dan Luke Piloting 3 November 7th 05 11:53 AM
Oshkosh rumor about camping Jim Gardiner Home Built 3 July 20th 04 07:50 PM
Randolph Rumor Nolaminar Home Built 1 April 2nd 04 03:06 AM
GWB and the Air Guard JD Military Aviation 77 March 17th 04 10:52 AM