Tanis heaters

Old December 28th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gene Seibel

Default Tanis heaters

David Lesher wrote:
Blanche writes:

I'm still astonished at
1) all the people who have 4-wheel drive and think they are invincible and
can travel thru anything

Click & Clack say:

4-wheel drive means you can get farther away
from help before you get stuck.

Love those guys.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Old December 30th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Here in Colorado, we keep the airplane plugged in with an oil pan
heater and a battery maintainer (think float charger that shuts
off).

Note that the oil pan heater is plugged into another device. If you
think about it, an engine heater (oil pan or tanis) may get too hot
if left on all the time...

A heater is a resistive device. Usually, they are 600 watts or
less. Now think about a normal light bulb... resistive. What I did
was build a breakout-box with a "light dimmer", calibrated and
turned down to "75%". So, we have our heater plugged in all the
time (300 watts), turned down to 75%, so the engine and oil are
"warm", but not "hot".

Our last engine (IO-520)/206 went 750 hours beyond TBO. The
previous two (O-470)/182 went 2X TBO.

I grew up in northern Wisconsin. We do not have real winters in
Colorado. It just looks like that on TV. :-)

In article m you wrote:
I live in northern lower Michigan where we have real winters some years
(not this one yet). My partner and I own a 2000 Cessna 182. We are
currently debating the proper use of the Tanis engine heater. It has
been our practice in the past to plug the heater in after a flight and
leave it plugged in until the next. We have heard lately that best
practice is to only use the heater for a few hours prior to flight.
Any opinions among other owners in cold climes?
Thanks. CPW

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer at frii.com http://users.frii.com/jer/

Old December 31st 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:21:46 -0000, wrote:

Here in Colorado, we keep the airplane plugged in with an oil pan
heater and a battery maintainer (think float charger that shuts
off).

Note that the oil pan heater is plugged into another device. If you
think about it, an engine heater (oil pan or tanis) may get too hot
if left on all the time...

The Tannis pan heater is a temperature limited device just like the
heat tape used on roofs to prevent ice build up and pipes to prevent
freezing. .

A heater is a resistive device. Usually, they are 600 watts or

The Tanis is a variable resistance device that is temperature limited.

less. Now think about a normal light bulb... resistive. What I did
was build a breakout-box with a "light dimmer", calibrated and
turned down to "75%". So, we have our heater plugged in all the

Which should be defeating the purpose of spending the money for a
temperature limited device. One of the reasons the Tanis is expensive.
time (300 watts), turned down to 75%, so the engine and oil are
"warm", but not "hot".

The oil needs be hot enough to get rid of all the water and *acid*.
The engine parts need to be hot enough to prevent condensation. That's
not really *hot* but it will be uncomfortably warm to leave your hand
laying on it.

Whether I leave the cowl uncovered or wrapped up tight the oil goes to
the same temperature. However by bundling things up the rest of the
engine compartment gets nice and toasty and I use less electricity.

In article m you wrote:
I live in northern lower Michigan where we have real winters some years
(not this one yet). My partner and I own a 2000 Cessna 182. We are
currently debating the proper use of the Tanis engine heater. It has
been our practice in the past to plug the heater in after a flight and
leave it plugged in until the next. We have heard lately that best
practice is to only use the heater for a few hours prior to flight.
Any opinions among other owners in cold climes?
Thanks. CPW

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old December 31st 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Roger wrote:

Which should be defeating the purpose of spending the money for a
temperature limited device. One of the reasons the Tanis is expensive.

Right, which is why I bought my pan heater at Tractor Supply. It's a 50
watt unit and costs $25. No need for a thermostat. With a nose mitten
from Kennon the engine compartment is nice and warm. Oil gets to 100
and all the cylinders are 80.

The oil needs be hot enough to get rid of all the water and *acid*.

Which you will never accomplish with any type of external heater. Only
running the engine will do that.

Old January 1st 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow

wrote in message ...
Here in Colorado, we keep the airplane plugged in with an oil pan
heater and a battery maintainer (think float charger that shuts
off).

http://www.reiffpreheat.com/tbo.htm

How to Warm a Cold Engine

By Kas Thomas

TBO ADVISOR, Nov/Dec 1998

Note that the oil pan heater is plugged into another device. If you
think about it, an engine heater (oil pan or tanis) may get too hot
if left on all the time...

A heater is a resistive device. Usually, they are 600 watts or
less. Now think about a normal light bulb... resistive. What I did
was build a breakout-box with a "light dimmer", calibrated and
turned down to "75%". So, we have our heater plugged in all the
time (300 watts), turned down to 75%, so the engine and oil are
"warm", but not "hot".

Our last engine (IO-520)/206 went 750 hours beyond TBO. The
previous two (O-470)/182 went 2X TBO.

I grew up in northern Wisconsin. We do not have real winters in
Colorado. It just looks like that on TV. :-)

Especially the last couple weeks...

--
Matt