Towplane-Baron accident

Old February 23rd 14, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JP Stewart

Default Towplane-Baron accident

Odd circumstance: http://www.lagrangenews.com/news/hom...llaway-Airport

JP
Old February 23rd 14, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

The title is deceiving. The tow plane was not involved in the accident according to the news paper article. It was operating on a different intersecting runway.

First impression from the article. The Baron was doing touch and goes, climbed 150-200 ft and nosed over. My "guess", trim was not reset from landing to takeoff, power up nose pitched up to a stall.

BillT
Old February 23rd 14, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JP Stewart

How I read it, it sounded like they tried to avoid a collision and overacted or something similar. Speculation, sorry if the title doesn't fit but they article cited it as a factor.

JP
Old February 23rd 14, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:50:49 PM UTC-5, Jp Stewart wrote:
Odd circumstance: http://www.lagrangenews.com/news/hom...llaway-Airport

JP

Explanation in this one (accuracy TBD):
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...crashes-n36371
Old February 23rd 14, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Ooooooooooo... If it was in the newspaper, it must be true! It's a tragedy
whenever we lose a planeload of people, but it does no good to speculate
that a glider tow on a different runway was somehow part of the accident.

I'm still trying to figure out what a "nose dive" is. Is it related to a
"tail spin"?

Old February 23rd 14, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 11:48:48 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Ooooooooooo... If it was in the newspaper, it must be true!
... but it does no good to speculate...

Which is why I wrote "accuracy TBD"...
The consequences of the reported cause can
be severe, whether or not correct...
Very sad.
Old February 23rd 14, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

I can see how this scenario has been presented by the media (per witness descriptions) but from what I have gathered, the Baron never got close enough to any other aircraft as to require such drastic maneuvering as a "pull up.." Pull up to severe stall (resulting in a fatal nose dive) from what exactly? Nothing? I am thinking that the Baron pilot (albeit tragic) really screwed up here.

The only reason I can see for major pull up resulting in a complete power on stall would be if there was an imminent collision. This was clearly not the case in this situation. This makes no sense to me unless aircraft missed each-other by a matter of feet.

Until the NTSB initial report comes out...
Old February 23rd 14, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

OK guys. I guess it's time to post some of what we really know. I'm the president of Southern eagles Soaring Club at LaGrange. We were not operating Saturday and I was not at the field. The Civil Air Patrol had been operating their L23 towed by their 172, for several hours from runway 3.

The Baron had been doing ILS low approaches to runway 31. They landed and refueled. There were various reports of what the Baron was doing before it crashed, including a missed approach from a practice ILS, a take off, and a go around. With all these reports, you can judge for your self the accuracy.. Everyone agreed that they did not hear any radio calls from the Baron.

The 172 and L23 were stopped on runway 3, south of runway 31. They never crossed the runway. The crews were very experienced, with 2 CFIG's in the L23 and a retired Air Force pilot and now Delta Captain flying the 172. One of the CFIGs is also a club member.

The crews saw the Baron at low altitude along runway 31. It pulled up very nose high, rolled to the left from 100-200 feet, and crashed in an approximate 60 degree nose down attitude. The front seat pilots were killed on impact. The passenger in the back later died at the hospital.

We do not now, nor will we ever know what made the PIC take the action that he did. They could have been flying simulated instruments, practicing single engine, had an engine failure, or any of a number of things.

Since the names have been release, we do know that the two co-owners were in the aircraft along with another pilot. Records show one of the co-owners was multi-engine rated. No records on the other co-owner. The third person did hold an ATP and instructors rating. We do not know the seating arrangement or who was at the controls.

All the noise about a glider being involved was from one person that was interviewed by two TV stations. He said the Baron was trying to avoid a glider. It unclear as to his actually seeing the crash. The only glider operating that day was sitting on runway 3 behind the tow plane.

Also to show the accuracy of the reporting, one of the stations reported the Baron had flown from Panama City, FL to LaGrange that morning. They used a screen shot from flightAware.com to confirm it. When we checked flightaware, it did indeed show a flight from Panama City as being the last flight they had recorded. Of course, That flight took place in October, 2013!

If any FACTS become available, I'll let you know. However, conjecture will not accomplish anything and could hurt our sport.

Charlie
Old February 23rd 14, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 4:11:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
...conjecture will not accomplish anything and could hurt our sport.

More likely, has already hurt our sport.

Have you approached the TV station and demanded a retraction,
and pointed out that they have libeled 'you', with potential
financial consequences?

No idea if that would help...
Old February 23rd 14, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I asked them nicely to review the facts and only report the facts. I also pointed out their 4 month error on the flight plan. So far, they have not changed anything.

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 4:26:52 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Sunday, February 23, 2014 4:11:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:

...conjecture will not accomplish anything and could hurt our sport.

More likely, has already hurt our sport.

Have you approached the TV station and demanded a retraction,

and pointed out that they have libeled 'you', with potential

financial consequences?

No idea if that would help...

Cessna 170 for a towplane? Scott Alexander[_2_] Soaring 9 April 30th 12 06:57 PM
Have towplane will travel Tim Gundersen Soaring 0 June 30th 11 07:13 PM
Pik-27 towplane Brad[_2_] Soaring 2 March 10th 09 01:01 AM
Towplane accident at The Dalles, Oregon Stewart Kissel Soaring 24 September 20th 04 07:20 PM
C 172XP Towplane Thomas F. Dixon Soaring 3 March 14th 04 09:02 PM